Real life RV 30 amp portable surge protection. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Real life RV 30 amp portable surge protection.

I don't want to start another debate about portable vs. built in surge protection. I'm not interested in installing a built in unit. I would like to know real life experiences with portable surge protection models and recommendations.
I have been using the Progressive Industries SSP30X. The unit has worked fine until our last trip when we evidently experienced a surge and the surge protection is no longer functioning.
I have been looking at replacing the unit and find there are several more units that offer over/under voltage protection as well (Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X), for almost twice the price as the one I have.
My question is this: Is the over/under protection really necessary? Since both units have to be replaced after a surge event, is the unit with over/under voltage protection worth the extra money spent (over twice the price)?
Thanks in advance for your answers!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015G2YYN0/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1
Old 06-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you ever leave your trailer with the a/c on and it gets hot where every one else operates their a/c, the possibility of low cg voltage and possible a/c compressor damage can occur. I have seen it happen. In addition, I have encountered in the past low power pedestals where my portable unit could not plug in, since 2012 I have been a happy user of the built in units Progressive offers.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If all your looking for is surge protection , you could replace the receptacles in your trailer with ones with surge protection built in (Eagle) Far cheaper , less chance of theft , and not subject to weather like the large outdoor units . They also only provide one time surge protection .
You would not need to change out every receptacle in your trailer , possibly just one or two
No sense adding surge protection for your toaster
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Or even easier, just get a plug in surge suppressor - no wiring required. If all you care about is surge protection. Of course any solution at the outlets does nothing for your onboard electrical items eg fridge, AC, fans, pumps, furnace, WH etc.

I wouldn’t do without over/under-voltage protection myself. My built-in Progressive unit has protected us from bad power in a variety of flavors many times.

If you travel around, which is kind of the point of a travel trailer, you never know what quality of power you’re going to get in different places. Or water, which is why we’ve invested in a great filtration system. But I digress.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you ever leave your trailer with the a/c on and it gets hot where every one else operates their a/c, the possibility of low cg voltage and possible a/c compressor damage can occur. I have seen it happen. In addition, I have encountered in the past low power pedestals where my portable unit could not plug in, since 2012 I have been a happy user of the built in units Progressive offers.
Ok, I may rethink the built in. How difficult are they to install? Is it something I can do myself? Also (really dumb question?) - I'm assuming I won't have to change or do anything with the solar system (inverter)?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
About a 90 minute job, I did it on my first Escape and considering the cost I paid, the next three I had them do it as an option.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Since I did not order my Escape with a built in EMS I went with the same product but external and portable. It now mounts on the power pole. Having an external EMS means it can be stolen, an inexpensive cable and lock from Master padlock keeps the casual thieves away. Also means I have an extra step when setting up camp. It also means I can leave it home when not needed. Saved me time installing inside the unit. I can take it with me when I order my third Escape.

After some expensive refrigerator repairs it gives me some peace of mind.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Fudge

Source and price?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X Portable 30Amp Electrical Management System $235
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Also (really dumb question?) - I'm assuming I won't have to change or do anything with the solar system (inverter)?
Not a dumb question; the inverter produces 120 V AC power and you are talking about a surge suppressor for 120 V AC power. Fortunately, you don't need to worry about a surge from the inverter, so you don't need to do anything with the inverter.

The solar power system is DC at battery voltage - it is unrelated to the surge suppressor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote