Rear brake scraping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by travdes View Post
Didn't realize it was actually because it was braking and my car was being dragged back with it.

Make sure the controller isn't in "boost" mode too. I discovered mine in boost when the trailer was doing extreme braking as I pulled out of the campground. Felt like a horse-collar tackle.
I have no idea how boost got turned on.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I wonder if ETI tells people nowadays that you should adjust new brakes after 200 miles then every 3,000 thereafter as Dexter says in their manual. I was told to torque the wheel lugs after 100 miles yet brakes were not mentioned. We had problems with our right front locking up on our trip home when new. It turned out to be an adjustment issue.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I wonder if ETI tells people nowadays that you should adjust new brakes after 200 miles then every 3,000 thereafter as Dexter says in their manual.

You are expecting ETI to read the instruction manuals to you?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If it were my business I would go that extra mile along with other "break in" procedures.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I wonder if ETI tells people nowadays that you should adjust new brakes after 200 miles then every 3,000 thereafter as Dexter says in their manual. I was told to torque the wheel lugs after 100 miles yet brakes were not mentioned.
That's in the Escape Owners Manual, on page 24; the wheel nut torquing is in the manual as well. I don't know if it is supposed to be in the orientation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As Brian points out, these items are in the owners manual plus the axle literature and probably somewhere int the brake controller literature and if an owner ignores that information then it would seem then their use is at their own risk. I know an automobile dealer does not insure you can drive before turning over the keys so similarly putting info in an owners manual and asking you to follow that manual would be reasonable.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #27

Perhaps the owner may want to avoid those rugged logging roads with a brand new trailer until sometime later. I'm sure both the tow vehicle and trailer would last longer being used on paved highways.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #28

Quote:
If it were my business I would go that extra mile along with other "break in" procedures.
I no longer expect that in todays business climate. Years ago customer service was the #1 draw, but with on line shopping and the constant use of smart phones, people no longer care about personal involvement, just watch two people in the same room text one another vs talking?? I dislike someone talking on one while trying to provide service to me and will ask them to do one or the other but not both. I was in a store recently where the cashier was doing such and I refused to put my items on the conveyor until they hung up. Customer service has long since left our society taking its place next to the now defunct common sense!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
At our orientation in April I specifically asked them to show me the lubrication and brake adjustment points and describe what to do. They pulled the plastic hub cover and showed me exactly what to do for greasing the bearings, but said that the brakes were self-adjusting and I didn't need to touch them.

My Dexter manual is in the trailer, stored remotely, and I haven't had a chance to go and check it since this issue came up. Has anyone else been told that they are using self-adjusting brakes now, or was I misinformed?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21. 2016 Kia Sorento EX+ V6
Send a message via Skype™ to travdes
Mine weren't self adjusting on the 21.
travdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #31

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
When I replaced the brake assemblies on my Bigfoot, I ordered the self adjusting units. The additional cost was $10 per wheel for 10 inch brakes. After 6 years, I was very pleased with the performance of the self adjusting feature. If I do order a new Escape, I sure would want the self adjusting feature.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Out of curiosity, does the PNW have issues with rust like we do here in the NE? My brakes and the manual adjusters are pretty much solid rust. I bought the self adjusting ones to install once it cools down a bit, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I suppose I can lube everything when I check the bearings every couple years. Maybe I'll get lcky like Jack and go 6 years.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #33

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
I moved to Washington from Illinois. I spent half my life in the Chicago area. Rust was always an issue. When I moved to Western Washington, I knew it rained a lot and expected vehicles to rust, but it isn't much of an issue. After 6 years, regular inspections and cleaning, the brake assemblies had no rust. My trailer was stored outdoors.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks, it helps explain the 6 years on your self adjusting. Time will tell how they work over here.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Out of curiosity, does the PNW have issues with rust like we do here in the NE? My brakes and the manual adjusters are pretty much solid rust. I bought the self adjusting ones to install once it cools down a bit, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I suppose I can lube everything when I check the bearings every couple years. Maybe I'll get lcky like Jack and go 6 years.

I think it is the use of salt, combined with moisture, that is the major factor with the rust.
Edit: Upon review, deleted the rest of the comment.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I was told at my orientation in April, in response to specifically asking about adjusting the brakes, that the brakes were self adjusting and I didn't need to touch them.

After seeing here that no one else's trailer seemed to come equipped with self-adjusting brakes I went over to the trailer in storage and looked at the Dexter manual. It was generic and inconclusive - said some were self-adjusting but also gave adjustment procedures.

Today I emailed ETI and was told that they do not use self-adjusting brakes. I let them know about being told that at orientation - unfortunately I don't know the name of the fellow who covered the exterior items with us, but no telling how many other owners he has told that they have self-adjusting brakes.

Looks like I will get to use that TrailerAid ramp and brake spoon after all....
Old 07-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Talking distance and scrapping

Re: Distance: Since the OP lives in Canada, I think the 9K means 9 Kilometers, about 5 miles.
Re: Scrapping: Since it was a forest road I assume it was gravel and the sudden scrapping likely was a pebble tossed into the brake.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Re: Distance: Since the OP lives in Canada, I think the 9K means 9 Kilometers, about 5 miles.
Re: Scrapping: Since it was a forest road I assume it was gravel and the sudden scrapping likely was a pebble tossed into the brake.
That makes sense, I missed the Canadian ownership, my bad...
Old 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2007 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
I realize this threat is about your rear brake issue and I am glad you got to the bottom of this before it left you stranded on the road somewhere. However, I have a question about your tow vehicle. Are you actually towing your Escape with a Kia Sorento. I ask because I am looking for a newer tow vehicle for my 17" Casita and did not know the Sorento would pull that much weight. My wife driver a 2015 Kia Optima and the newer Sorento is one that I looked at.
ustraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustraveler View Post
Are you actually towing your Escape with a Kia Sorento.

Vehicles and specs change from year to year. My 2008 RAV4 tows 3,500 lbs. In 2013 it dropped to 1,500 ( I think ). It's now back up to 3,500.
Rather than ask about a vehicle that may or may not be factory-equipped to tow, I would search the KIA build site and maybe talk to a dealer.