Rear Window Leak - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
It should suck in tight, was the butyl tape 1/8" x 1". Try tightening the screws a little more and see if it oozes out.

Cheers
Doug
It was 1/8" x 1" butyl putty tape. The screws are as tight as I can get them with no gap.

I remember it being tight against the shell which is why this seems odd.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Rear Window Leak

Is it butyl tape or butyl putty tape. When I did windows I used plain butyl tape which is softer then the butyl putty mixture. The straight butyl tape should ooze out when the screws are tightened.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Is it butyl tape or butyl putty tape. When I did windows I used plain butyl tape which is softer then the butyl putty mixture. The straight butyl tape should ooze out when the screws are tightened.

Cheers
Doug
Butyl putty tape. That's​ what was recommended at the local RV supply store. It does ooze out but it has the consistency of plumbers putty...

I was able to tighten a few screws a bit more with no noticeable difference outside. Unfortunately a couple screws also stripped the hole in the exterior window frame. I may need to use some larger ones or add another hole next to it.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
Butyl putty tape. That's​ what was recommended at the local RV supply store. It does ooze out but it has the consistency of plumbers putty...

I was able to tighten a few screws a bit more with no noticeable difference outside. Unfortunately a couple screws also stripped the hole in the exterior window frame. I may need to use some larger ones or add another hole next to it.

If it was me I change it out with straight butyl tape. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear. Most RV parts departments will stock it.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #45

Quote:
If it was me I change it out with straight butyl tape. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear. Most RV parts departments will stock it.

Cheers
Doug
Nope. Particularly because I now have some screw holes that are stripped and doing this another time will damage even more of them... that is a challenge to deal with. How did you deal with those?

I assume that whatever I have done will provide a weatherseal for some time and allow me to not worry about the rains tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help Doug!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #46

For stripped screws try pushing a piece of solid copper wire (insulation stripped off) back into the hole pasted the retaining frame then try putting the screw back in. Do this by hand so you can feel when it tightens up.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks and sounds as if the window just isn't seated right before you started setting the screws. It definitely should have been flush with no gap. On the Scamp windows I've redone, the windows are almost fully seated and oozing before I go inside and set the screws. Never pulled an Escape front window, so not sure if it would be quite the same, but it should be.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Looks and sounds as if the window just isn't seated right before you started setting the screws. It definitely should have been flush with no gap. On the Scamp windows I've redone, the windows are almost fully seated and oozing before I go inside and set the screws. Never pulled an Escape front window, so not sure if it would be quite the same, but it should be.
The shell had some etch marks neatly​outlining the window position as if they trimmed the butyl off with a metal scraper at the factory. It is lined up within those lines so it should be seated properly.

I think that I used the wrong product like Doug suggested. It is stiff like plumbers putty and doesn't squish out around the flange very well. I also used 1" putty tape which completely covered the flange so the material on the inner of the flange has nowhere to go.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you are finished installation, then yes use some Proflex along the top and anywhere else there is a gap, seal any and all openings around the frame.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I think that I used the wrong product like Doug suggested.
You wanted to use the butyl with the smooth paper, not the crinkly. The good butyl is really sticky, like chewed bubble gum.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Best description

Donna
That's such an accurate description for the right product that all should take note, pick up a roll at the rv dealer or on line and be ready for future projects. Now to get the proflex people to produce a small reasonably priced soft sided, resealable tube of their product(s).
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Donna
That's such an accurate description for the right product that all should take note, pick up a roll at the rv dealer or on line and be ready for future projects. Now to get the proflex people to produce a small reasonably priced soft sided, resealable tube of their product(s).
Dave
If you have one, I've had good luck using our kitchen vacuum sealer and a large enough bag to seal up the tube of Proflex and having it stay good from year to year.

Trying to remember, what was recommended to me when we installed the large thermopane windows (overruns of patio door windows) in our greenhouse. I think we used the thicker stiffer on the framing, then pushed the window panes onto that and then the thinner stickier stuff on the outside of the panes. They are all at about 30 deg angle and none leak after 15 years or so. I could see that the thicker putty like stuff could be tough to compress enough on the RV setups.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #53

Proflex saver

Hi Eric
Thanks for the tip, I have a good one and I'll give that a try
Dave
Old 05-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Donna
Dave
I just keep putting on more until the tube is used up. That way I am guaranteed no leaks.

I kid, heck it was tough even typing that. I am a big on using just the right amount of caulk, applied as neat as possible. I have seen enough glommed on caulking applications, where it took forever to clean up when we need to do work to last me a lifetime. Plus, it looks crappy too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #55

Caulking

Hi Jim
I'm pretty careful on my caulking too. I just got done checking the accessories on our roof and had a few tiny slits in the caulking. I probably only used a couple ounces out of a new tube and that was plenty. I don't like wasting things.
Dave
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi Jim
I'm pretty careful on my caulking too. I just got done checking the accessories on our roof and had a few tiny slits in the caulking. I probably only used a couple ounces out of a new tube and that was plenty. I don't like wasting things.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Good caulking is like good cooking. You never want to let any go to waist!!! LoL Alf as he bakes the seasons first rhubarb meringue pie!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #57

rhubarb meringue pie
now that sounds good....
Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
rhubarb meringue pie
now that sounds good....
Good reminder. Mom is coming down on Saturday for a big Mother's Day celebration with the entire family on Sunday. I will get that recipe from her then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You wanted to use the butyl with the smooth paper, not the crinkly. The good butyl is really sticky, like chewed bubble gum.
I used the crinkle paper style... the leftover paper will make good streamers for the celebration party when this is finished!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good reminder. Mom is coming down on Saturday for a big Mother's Day celebration with the entire family on Sunday. I will get that recipe from her then.
Better yet, buy her some flowers and ask her to make one and then ask for the recipe....it sounds tasty.