Recumbent trike rack - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdog View Post
I don’t understand why a hitch mounted rack would be much different behind the trailer than a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Where can I read up on the differences in the forces for behind the trailer v behind the truck?
I don't think it will be easy to find objective data for this.

There are two issues with a rack on the back of a trailer which affect how rough the ride is there:
  1. the distance to the axle (as already mentioned)... like riding in the back of a school bus, in case you ever did that
  2. the high stiffness and lack of proper damping of trailer suspensions
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The recumbant bikes and trikes are becoming popular around here. I have to say, they are nearly invisible on the road unless they are flying a flag. Fly your flag.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdog View Post
I just bought a recumbent tadpole trike. I want to carry it behind my Escape. I have been unable to find a rack that is for use behind an RV. Does anyone know of a rack I can use for my trike? Is anyone using a rack that is not specified for use on a trailer? I don’t understand why a hitch mounted rack would be much different behind the trailer than a car.

Thanks
Mitzi
It is completely different. You don't tow your car. When you add weight to the back of a trailer, it can cause sway, which many have found with bikes. Definitely a safety problem. We used to put our recumbents inside the vehicle.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Methinks I should conscript you to build me one of these babies. I loves to go fast.
What I really like is designing and building is custom stuff like this wheelchair that becomes a bike, don't call it a trike, she wouldn't agree to a trike. I told her that I'd put the two wheels so close together that it'd still corner like a bike so she went for it. It does corner on two wheels but it takes a very deliberate action to do so. Scary at first but easy to the hang of it. She rides to work in the bike lanes, puts the rear wheels on the w/c shell and uses it at work and then reverses the process to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
It is completely different. You don't tow your car. When you add weight to the back of a trailer, it can cause sway, which many have found with bikes. Definitely a safety problem. We used to put our recumbents inside the vehicle.
Prior to getting our folding electric bikes we carried a couple of heavy bikes on the back of the trailer. I somewhat minimized any imbalance by putting the trailer spare in the back of the truck.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP8424_resize.JPG   IMGP8425_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What I really like is designing and building is custom stuff like this wheelchair that becomes a bike, don't call it a trike, she wouldn't agree to a trike. I told her that I'd put the two wheels so close together that it'd still corner like a bike so she went for it. It does corner on two wheels but it takes a very deliberate action to do so. Scary at first but easy to the hang of it. She rides to work in the bike lanes, puts the rear wheels on the w/c shell and uses it at work and then reverses the process to go home.

Prior to getting our folding electric bikes we carried a couple of heavy bikes on the back of the trailer. I somewhat minimized any imbalance by putting the trailer spare in the back of the truck.

Ron
She looks very glad to have it!

Putting the spare in the truck is no doubt a big help considering that weight.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The recumbant bikes and trikes are becoming popular around here. I have to say, they are nearly invisible on the road unless they are flying a flag. Fly your flag.
Yes, we had flags. Most of the time, however, we would drive to bike trails and ride on those but still had to cross traffic sometimes, of course, We also had reflective material on the back of the seats and often on us.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]What I really like is designing and building is custom stuff like this wheelchair that becomes a bike, don't call it a trike, she wouldn't agree to a trike. I told her that I'd put the two wheels so close together that it'd still corner like a bike so she went for it. It does corner on two wheels but it takes a very deliberate action to do so. Scary at first but easy to the hang of it. She rides to work in the bike lanes, puts the rear wheels on the w/c shell and uses it at work and then reverses the process to go home....
That is super cool and very innovative.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Very nice and worthwhile work Ron!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=1831

I have a Stratus XP which I really like riding but there is a reason you don't see recumbent bikes in the Tour de France. Going uphill you can't stand up and use your weight to pedal, you have to use your thighs for power as your back pushes into the seat. If you're in good shape, not me, you can pedal uphill but as you slow down instead of wobbling the recumbent will start swerving left and right. Kind of dangerous on a busy street or trying to go slowly on a bike/walking path with a lot of pedestrians. On a regular bike you will wobble (lean back and forth) but not necessarily swerve.
Also, starting on an uphill is more difficult. You can't stand on the pedal, you have to be seated and pedal and the start is difficult to control until you get a little speed.

On a straight away with gentle uphill climbs or downhill it is like driving a Cadillac, very comfortable, stable and fast.

I plan to bring it to the Escape Rally in May and by then I may have a Geo Orbital Wheel on it.
https://www.geoo.com/pages/how-it-works

I'm hoping the heavy (17 Lb.) wheel in the front will give it more bite and I want the electric assist for starting out and going uphill.
We are also planning on being at the Escape Rally with my Bachetta Giro recumbent bike and Vicky's Greenspeed Anora recumbent trike. I would love to do some riding!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
The recumbents I've ridden r comfortable and fun, but my next bike is going to have an electric motor on it...
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote