Reflectix on windows? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 10-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Whether you have the spray foam insulation underneath or not, it has no effect on window condensation as far as I know.
Agreed, but the original post was also concerned with the cold. The underside insulation would keep the floor warmer and increase the mean radiant temperature in the trailer. Opposite in summer. I highly recommend getting this on a new trailer or planning to do something yourself. We did Foamular R-10 extruded polystyrene panels on my father's Scamp similar to how Ron in BC did it to his Escape 19. Makes the floor much warmer and in the case of the Scamp with an exposed underside (resin coated OSB) also provided some protection. Will likely be doing this to our 19 in the near future.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-underfloor-insulation-7046.html

spray on foam on underbody for greater insulation from cold? | Scamp Owners International

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #12

Trailer: Perhaps in 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
You guys and gals are beginning to sway my opinion to again add the spray foam after removing it a couple of days ago. You're just messing with my head which isn't very difficult.
obviously how long and under what conditions one is going to camp in cold conditions varies by the individual camper...if one plans on significant cold or extended time perhaps get a real 4 season trailer designed for cold weather..the underside spray on foam is a cheap method of insulating the bottom of a 3 season Escape trailer.....other trailer vendors have other trailer underside insulating methods, some actually requiring design engineering prior to the manufacture of the trailer and all methods have both upsides and downsides...and as one other post indicated you can always spray it on later on the Escape.....or just drive to a place a little warmer for more than a cold snap.
if it helps... this camper is looking at the 3 season Escape as is without spray on foam but with thermal windows and extra interior insulation options..and if wanting to slog it out in snow and cold for anything but a very brief period would instead buy a real 4 season trailer and not an Escape.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Before heading an a trip to Alaska, I made reflectix panels for each window, both in case it was cold, and to keep out the nighttime daylight. I didn't use them for either, but while in Quartzsite last winter I did use them on the really cold nights (Quartzsite was much cooler than usual last winter). They have also been useful for keeping sunlight out of the trailer on hot, sunny days.

I didn't use Velcro - I just used the blinds to hold them in place. It helped the most for the single pane front window...
Old 10-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Everything helps to some degree. The most effective way to eliminate condensation still remains ventilation. But it's difficult to get enough in cold and damp situations without having to have a hatch open and the furnace running full time.

Some boaters who full time install some of the heat shrink plastic and it seems to work very well at preventing condensation from forming on the glass.

Ron
Does that mean the window kits that you use for houses? And shrink it with a hair dryer?
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Same as Anna-marie. It work for heat retention and darkness, but the glass still gets wet so take it down when you get up. If you cut it exact, it'll stay in place without velcro.
Thanks, that makes sense to remove it in the morning. I just want to cover the windows where I"m sleeping so that the cold doesn't seep in so much!
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
After you cut the reflex to size, stuff it in pillowcases so the cloth will be in contact with the window. It will soak up the condensation and you can dry them the next morning.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by azutco View Post
Does that mean the window kits that you use for houses? And shrink it with a hair dryer?
I've seen both the heat shrink type used and plain poly sheet. The heat shrink looks nicer. Anything the keeps warm moist air away from the cold glass helps.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by azutco View Post
I've used that in an RV, and it certainly does help. The double-sided adhesive tape can be applied directly to the window frame; I've also put it on the wall around the window, but I don't think I would do that with the soft wall lining of an Escape. The tape peels off fine (in my experience) in the spring.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote