Reflectix on windows? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E19
Reflectix on windows?

Cold weather camping is getting to be a bit of a challenge for me. I saw on pinterest a pin about covering your windows with reflectix. I searched the forum and didn't see anything directly related to my question (it seemed)

I"m wondering if it would be beneficial to cut reflectix to the size of my windows in my 17 and then attach it using velcro. It gets quite cold in my trailer against the walls. I made my front table into a bed which makes for a small space. I wonder by using reflectix if it would be helpful in reducing the amount of condensation?

Thoughts?
Attached Images

azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by azutco View Post
I wonder by using reflectix if it would be helpful in reducing the amount of condensation?
Thoughts?
Everything helps to some degree. The most effective way to eliminate condensation still remains ventilation. But it's difficult to get enough in cold and damp situations without having to have a hatch open and the furnace running full time.

Some boaters who full time install some of the heat shrink plastic and it seems to work very well at preventing condensation from forming on the glass.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We cut it to size in our 17 and I tuck it in the frame then pull the blinds down---I use it mainly to make it dark!
But it does get wet a bit behind it---easy to wipe off though--we keep the two front awning windows open a bit and the max fan cracked a bit--if we are plugged in we have it on low...
Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
I agree with ventilation...fan and crack a window. So many things causes condensation, cooking, breathing, shower, warm air against the cold Windows, humidity level etc.

We struggled with condensation in our home (Adirondacks) leave the curtains open or closed? We found that changing out the air inside helped! Can't really leave the windows open during the winter!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Same as Anna-marie. It work for heat retention and darkness, but the glass still gets wet so take it down when you get up. If you cut it exact, it'll stay in place without velcro.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those still in the planning process, these are all good reasons to get the extra insulation, thermal windows and foam spray on your build sheet, to help keep in the warm and keep out the cold. Crack a window, open your MaxxFan and you will be comfortable.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
You may not have found much when searching because many Escape owners seem to have opted for thermal windows on their trailers. Many Scamp owners use Reflectix. Personally used Reflectix successfully in both a Scamp and Escape. To the extent that you can get a decent seal around the windows it will reduce (not eliminate) condensation because warm, moist air can't get to the cold window surface as readily to condense. It will also keep you warmer, because it is all about mean radiant temperature. Your body is giving off heat to any cold surfaces in line of sight of your body. The windows are the biggest culprit because of the lower surface temperature. With the windows insulated you should be able to keep your thermostat a few degrees lower and still be comfortable, because you are likely compensating for radiant losses with a higher thermostat temperature. Also consider insulating under the benches which will help to keep the bed warmer and leave a roof vent cracked as others have suggested.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For those still in the planning process, these are all good reasons to get the extra insulation, thermal windows and foam spray on your build sheet, to help keep in the warm and keep out the cold. Crack a window, open your MaxxFan and you will be comfortable.
Really glad we did get all those things.

Plus having arrived in Arizona with crazy high heat, and with the pavement at the campsite hot enough to fry an egg (or so it seemed) ..... I read elsewhere that the under body foam spray will help keep the heat out, as well. (as we use the HVAC to cool off the interior)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
You guys and gals are beginning to sway my opinion to again add the spray foam after removing it a couple of days ago. You're just messing with my head which isn't very difficult.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
You guys and gals are beginning to sway my opinion to again add the spray foam after removing it a couple of days ago. You're just messing with my head which isn't very difficult.
Don't see how they're related. If you have the thermal window package there's no need for reflectix on the windows, except maybe to block light. Whether you have the spray foam insulation underneath or not, it has no effect on window condensation as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Whether you have the spray foam insulation underneath or not, it has no effect on window condensation as far as I know.
Agreed, but the original post was also concerned with the cold. The underside insulation would keep the floor warmer and increase the mean radiant temperature in the trailer. Opposite in summer. I highly recommend getting this on a new trailer or planning to do something yourself. We did Foamular R-10 extruded polystyrene panels on my father's Scamp similar to how Ron in BC did it to his Escape 19. Makes the floor much warmer and in the case of the Scamp with an exposed underside (resin coated OSB) also provided some protection. Will likely be doing this to our 19 in the near future.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-underfloor-insulation-7046.html

spray on foam on underbody for greater insulation from cold? | Scamp Owners International
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #12

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
obviously how long and under what conditions one is going to camp in cold conditions varies by the individual camper...if one plans on significant cold or extended time perhaps get a real 4 season trailer designed for cold weather..the underside spray on foam is a cheap method of insulating the bottom of a 3 season Escape trailer.....other trailer vendors have other trailer underside insulating methods, some actually requiring design engineering prior to the manufacture of the trailer and all methods have both upsides and downsides...and as one other post indicated you can always spray it on later on the Escape.....or just drive to a place a little warmer for more than a cold snap.
if it helps... this camper is looking at the 3 season Escape as is without spray on foam but with thermal windows and extra interior insulation options..and if wanting to slog it out in snow and cold for anything but a very brief period would instead buy a real 4 season trailer and not an Escape.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Before heading an a trip to Alaska, I made reflectix panels for each window, both in case it was cold, and to keep out the nighttime daylight. I didn't use them for either, but while in Quartzsite last winter I did use them on the really cold nights (Quartzsite was much cooler than usual last winter). They have also been useful for keeping sunlight out of the trailer on hot, sunny days.

I didn't use Velcro - I just used the blinds to hold them in place. It helped the most for the single pane front window...
Old 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Everything helps to some degree. The most effective way to eliminate condensation still remains ventilation. But it's difficult to get enough in cold and damp situations without having to have a hatch open and the furnace running full time.

Some boaters who full time install some of the heat shrink plastic and it seems to work very well at preventing condensation from forming on the glass.

Ron
Does that mean the window kits that you use for houses? And shrink it with a hair dryer?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Same as Anna-marie. It work for heat retention and darkness, but the glass still gets wet so take it down when you get up. If you cut it exact, it'll stay in place without velcro.
Thanks, that makes sense to remove it in the morning. I just want to cover the windows where I"m sleeping so that the cold doesn't seep in so much!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
After you cut the reflex to size, stuff it in pillowcases so the cloth will be in contact with the window. It will soak up the condensation and you can dry them the next morning.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Does that mean the window kits that you use for houses? And shrink it with a hair dryer?
I've seen both the heat shrink type used and plain poly sheet. The heat shrink looks nicer. Anything the keeps warm moist air away from the cold glass helps.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I've used that in an RV, and it certainly does help. The double-sided adhesive tape can be applied directly to the window frame; I've also put it on the wall around the window, but I don't think I would do that with the soft wall lining of an Escape. The tape peels off fine (in my experience) in the spring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote