refrigerator - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: refrigerator

This site makes reference to start up power requirements, but doesn't give numbers. However it is a useful table and aimed at solar users:

http://www.kgelectric.co.za/appliance%20power.htm

baglo
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #22

Just to put things in perspective, I acquired a 25 watt, one cup coffee maker from Starbucks on sale some time ago. I plugged it into my 100 watt inverter in the company car and melted the cigarette lighter plug.

baglo
Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #23

Thanks Abaglo

Great info on the two links. If reece is correct (he is going to check on it) at 1 amp X 120 volts = 120 watts X 1.15(Inverter loss) = 138 watts per hour so a 300 watt inverter (138 watts divided by 120 volts = 1.15 amps per hr) so there for a 120 ah 12 volt battery should run the frige for 10.4 hrs i think.
( take 120ah divided by 10=12ah@120 volts so 12 ah divided by 1.15 =10.4 hrs) . whew now i have a headache and need a beer (thats not a bad thing) its 90 here and a beer sounds right. This might just work and not have to run the propane while running. THANKS ALL

Walt & Linda
wpski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: wpski...Walt Take two aspirins and call me in the morning Did you allow for a 50-60% depletion of the capacity of the battery before charging, or did you use 100%
Math was never my strong suit.
I'm not sure what kind of life a battery would have under complete depletion& recharging. That maybe the reason the larger fridges are only two way not three!!!
It's not 90* here but the beer sounds good anyhoo. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #25

I assume your wife is taking Forteo, as it's the only daily injectable med for Osteoporosis that I know of. You are correct that it does need to be keep stored between 36 and 46 degrees F. It should never be frozen, so be careful in the RV. Sometimes mine will freeze things after a few days of being on high. It's OK to run your fridge on propane while going down the road. You should shut it off when entering a filling station to refuel, however. Just leave it on and if/when you plug up to shore power the fridge will switch to AC.

Good luck in your travels.

Steve and Tali

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpski
Thanks Abaglo

Great info on the two links. If reece is correct (he is going to check on it) at 1 amp X 120 volts = 120 watts X 1.15(Inverter loss) = 138 watts per hour so a 300 watt inverter (138 watts divided by 120 volts = 1.15 amps per hr) so there for a 120 ah 12 volt battery should run the frige for 10.4 hrs i think.
( take 120ah divided by 10=12ah@120 volts so 12 ah divided by 1.15 =10.4 hrs) . whew now i have a headache and need a beer (thats not a bad thing) its 90 here and a beer sounds right. This might just work and not have to run the propane while running. THANKS ALL

Walt & Linda
Sorry to have missed this.

1 A x 120 V x 1.15 (inverter loss) = 138 W. - And a 300 W inverter will do. I would imagine that going over 300 W at start-up will be okay, since it is only a fraction of a second.

138 W / 12 V = 11.5 A DC on the 12 V side.

120 Ah / 11.5 A = 10.4 hours

So, while I quibble with Walts's use of watts per hour and amps per hour, I do agree with his conclusion. But Escape Artist is right: we must keep in mind that those amp-hour ratings are based on a set of technical assumptions, and won't necessarily jive with your results.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #27

I am now a little confused. If a person has a 3 way fridge should one just shut it down when driving so the battery will charge? Should one run it on propane while driving so the battery will charge? Should one run it on 12 volt because the battery will charge anyway? How does operating the fridge cut into a battery recharging?
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #28

Hi: Greig... We had a Boler B4 our 5.0. I had a battery installed on the tongue of the trailer and a charge wire thru the tug to the plug, so we could run 12V. while driving. The charging system in the tug would charge both batteries fine...but if stopped for any length of time like sight seeing or lunch is when the fridge "cut into a battery recharging". The fridge could drain both batteries, trailer and tug pretty fast.
With the 5.0 we make sure the fridge is thoroughly chilled B4 leaving home and that it gets hooked to shore power on arrival and we have yet to run it on propane either while driving or camping. Alf
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #29

If you have the 12V choice though, would you drive with your fridge on? I had the feeling last year that my battery was not charging well and was wondering if the fridge was slowing down the charging.
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

There is a good chance that having the fridge on 12V while driving will draw a fair bit of the current from the tow vehicle, leaving less for charging the battery. And like Alf said, if you stop a bunch set up like this without the engine running and charging, you will draw down the batteries quite a bit.

Somewhere I read that if you plan to run the fridge on 12V while driving, it is a good idea to upgrade the charging wires to at least #10 wire to give less resistance in the wiring, and allow more current through to better charge the battery. The fridge will not draw on the extra capacity, but the battery charger will do better for it.

If going less then a couple hours, I don't worry about having the fridge on, but if longer then that I do use the propane, unless not allowed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #31

Reace advised me to install #10 wire, which I did, but then got the 5 cu. two-way fridge. Cost an extra $25 for the wire.

baglo
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #32

Hi: gbaglo... More BEER room Alf
Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #33

Got that right. At least with beer you can evenly distribute the weight. Two cases at the front and two at the back.

baglo
Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

I'm really glad this subject has been thoroughly discussed, especially about running with the fridge on the battery. We're planning a trip to the US. Our Canadian M.O. has been to run the fridge on gas while moving, turning it off at gas stations. We have felt pretty safe doing it. We need to know how we will tell if it is "allowed" or "illegal" to tow with the gas on in the states. Is it determined state to state? Is there a U.S. regulation?
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #35

Hi: NuthatchBC... I'm sorry I can't help with the regulations re: RV gas use but we just towed 6000 Km's thru the U.S. and Can. and we never had the fridge powered up while towing 5-7 hr. days and the ice cubes in the fridge never showed signs of melt down and the wine and beer was always cold on arrival.
Here's a pic of our rig along hwy. 193 near Deblois Maine. Never seen so many 1000's of acres of blueberrys in my life. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
blueberryhill.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Thanks, Alf. We appreciate your feedback. I guess the worst that can happen is that we will be, kindly, asked to turn off the gas. The reason we became RV'ers was to NEVER have to worry about our food spoiling and ALWAYS having a dry place to sleep. The 3-way fridge has been a great solution for the food issue. The ESCAPE has been the best solution for ALL other camping/travel issues. We are still very happy with our purchase.

By the way, have you ever had trouble getting refill propane on the road?
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

My family had the propane on while traveling. I thought of using the electricity, but Reace said it really draws down the battery when the tow vehicle is parked. However, if one stops for any length of time, I imagine that it could be switched to propane or ac.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

We went 5 weeks on a trip down and across the US back here to Vermont. We had the gas for the fridge on all the time except at the egg rally in Ft Langley BC and I filled one tank in Ohio 3 days before we got back, just so we wouldn't run out. Everything cold and no worries about coming back to the tug after sights or shopping and not being able to start. I think that here in the US there are a couple of routes you can't go as they won't allow rigs with propane tanks - Chesapeake bay bridge and tunnel come to mind. I think that our AAA would be able to tell you, perhaps your CAA would too?
Ian
Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #39

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

What a trip!!! Wish we'd had more time when we returned to VA, but had to do it in 2 1/2 weeks! Hungry to go back out West though.
We travel with our gas on if it's going to be a long day, it not, the frig stays very cold (if you don't open the door) for 5-6 hrs. Just have to be careful to cut it off at gas stations. An accidental spill, gas fumes, and the frig sparks to start up a cooling cycle are what the word "accident" was designed for!!!!! One in a million maybe, but there is that ONE, and I sure don't want it to be me. Another suggestion is to turn it off, and when you stop for a half hour or so in the middle of the day for say lunch or sight seeing, turn the gas on and let it cool. Then turn it off again. Obviously not a lot of trouble to turn it on and off.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC
Thanks, Alf. We appreciate your feedback. I guess the worst that can happen is that we will be, kindly, asked to turn off the gas. The reason we became RV'ers was to NEVER have to worry about our food spoiling and ALWAYS having a dry place to sleep. The 3-way fridge has been a great solution for the food issue. The ESCAPE has been the best solution for ALL other camping/travel issues. We are still very happy with our purchase.

By the way, have you ever had trouble getting refill propane on the road?
Hi NuthatchBC... I'm not sure if it's still avail. or not but The Propane Gas Assoc. used to publish a booklet showing the location of all the filling stations across N.A. Ask your local dealer!!!
I sold propane powered pick ups and vans in the 80's and included one with every sale. Since 2006 I have only topped up 2 tanks...as we use it only to cook with. Alf