Refrigerator not cooling on the road - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Here are two photos. I pulled out the insulation a little from the right side to show you what it looked like. The main insulation is about an inch back from the end of the reefer. Note that my upper vent is lower than the one on the 15, for what reason I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I can see the foam in first picture. Since mine is a 19, my upper vent is way up high, by the roof so the refer is right between the two vents and my arms are short>>>I'll give it a try though.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #83

Trailer: Escape
Does the cooling problem occur when using the LP or 12V mode ?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
It was on all three for me. Heading out to higher temps this week-end, we'll see how effective it was.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #85

Trailer: 17
New baffle photos
Kibitka Escape
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #86

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Left White Lake Prov. Park (n> Ontario) this morning headed for Thunder Bay. Temps in the low to mid 30'sC. The 5.0 cu. ft fridge inour 19 is having a hard time keeping cold at these temps. We have it set to 6 for now and it's holding its own, so far.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #87

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I see one installation mistake already, Dometic states in the pdf that the space above the refer should be blocked off from the rear to prevent hot air being trapped. In the 19', there is about 6" of open air space all the way to the rear, open. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
After having problems getting the reefer temp down in 93 degree (F) weather last week-end, even when put on highest setting, I came home and checked out whether the back was properly blocked, as above. Nope, about a 2 inch gap above he reefer. ?
Does anyone know if fridges are still being installed with these gaps at the top? Dometic says there should be zero clearance at top and sides. I haven't noticed any posts commenting on the side gaps? J
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depends on the trailer and refer. I believe Escape is now installing a lot bigger refer with the roof exhaust and Reace assured me there is little room for any gaps as the entire space is enclosed and insulated. If you do not get the larger refer then check with Escape.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #89

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Depends on the trailer and refer. I believe Escape is now installing a lot bigger refer with the roof exhaust and Reace assured me there is little room for any gaps as the entire space is enclosed and insulated. If you do not get the larger refer then check with Escape.
Thanks a lot for the reply. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I spent an afternoon adding upper and lower baffles to my 5 Cu Ft refrigerator installed in a 17B. In addition, I insulated around the top & sides, and completely sealed the back of the refrigerator using aluminum tape so that there is no path between the cooling area and the actual fridge. I placed a furnace filter inside the lower refrigerator outside door - a very open mesh filter that does not block air, but seems to help with wind.

I also added a fan (a photo for the fan I purchased on eBay) that helps distribute cooling air inside the refrigerator. It also keeps down frosting of the fins.

Since these additions, the refrigerator has worked well, both in 90°F weather and while driving. I'll have more to report once I hit temperatures over 100F...
Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #91

Trailer: 17
rvomaha kibitka,
I see your refrigerator died in your Sept. Blog. Were you able to get it fixed? If so I was wondering what the tech said on the cause of death. Great blog and photos. Thanks for sharing.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #92

Sorry, gocamp, we stopped looking at the Escape Forum for the most part, and I didn't see your question. Our 5 cf refrigerator never died as such, but we continued to have the same problem that started from day one, which was that it wouldn't cool while we were driving at highway speeds. Multiple trips to two different Dometic service reps did no good whatsoever. Our frustration mounted and mounted over the course of our 29 months of ownership.

But at long last, we think we have found and solved the problem! Inspired by some of the banter here about the issues with the bigger fridges that Escape now is installing, we came up with a new theory regarding ours, a new test, and an easy fix. In short, we discovered that warm air was being drawn into the inside of the refrigerator box through the back of the refrigerator when the trailer was in motion. This was happening behind the finned cooling plate where there was totally inadequate sealing by Dometic.

We are not quite ready to rejoice and declare our issue officially solved, but we are seeing evidence that it may be. After we return home from our current trip we'll have enough observations to be ready to post more details.

Glad you have enjoyed our blog. I've fallen off the wagon in making posts there, but we continue to travel a lot with our sweet little Escape.

--Liz
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #93

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Liz and Jay
I can't wait to get home and test out our sealed camper with the MaxxFan blowing out. Did you use a candle to detect air flow or was it obvious from the get go? Keep us informed on results while driving back from the east coast.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Liz and Jay
I can't wait to get home and test out our sealed camper with the MaxxFan blowing out. Did you use a candle to detect air flow or was it obvious from the get go? Keep us informed on results while driving back from the east coast.
Paul,

We initially felt air movement by hand at the refrigerator seals and then did the candle thing as well, mostly for fun. The flame flickered wildly at certain positions around the seal. We could feel the air movement at the finned cooling plate by hand and did not put a candle inside the fridge since the air movement was so obvious there. We also didn't want to scorch the inside of the fridge.

I, too, can't wait to hear how your own testing goes!

Liz