Refrigerator not working and photos of Camano - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #101

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
[QUOTE=Ron in BC;116569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Also, can you guys say that if the TV is not running, there is no draw to the trailer, or are you drawing and can ruin your TV battery, as I had seen?/QUOTE]

To clarify; all vehicles that came with a tow package do not have an automatic disconnect for the trailer power.

My late model Ranger came with a tow package but that didn't include an automatic disconnect for the trailer power. I have a manual switch.

So, unless you've information specific to your vehicle that the trailer power is off unless the vehicle ignition is on don't presume it is.

Ron
Thanks, Ron! So different vehicle to vehicle. So no telling if someone is charging the trailer if the vehicle is not running. Or discharging the TV battery.

So we would suppose that Ellen's car was not charging the battery all night or the car battery would be dead? I had the same thought as Karen, namely, you only charge the trailer with the car running.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #102
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
And Karen H -- no words -- where IS that darn heart sign?
Glad you are slowly figuring out all the systems!

As far as Karen H

Ellen, this? Name:  Smitten.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  9.4 KB
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #103

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
[QUOTE=Ron in BC;116569]
Quote:
Also, can you guys say that if the TV is not running, there is no draw to the trailer, or are you drawing and can ruin your TV battery, as I had seen?/QUOTE]

To clarify; all vehicles that came with a tow package do not have an automatic disconnect for the trailer power.

So, unless you've information specific to your vehicle that the trailer power is off unless the vehicle ignition is on don't presume it is.

Ron
Just to add another data point to Ron's assertion that all tow vehicles aren't the same.

I checked and my 2014 Toyota only supplies power to the trailer when the ignition switch is in the on position (the position necessary to run the engine, as opposed to the "aux" position for the radio.)

Its an easy test on my '21. Plug the trailer into the tow vehicle with the ignition switch in the off position, turn on an overhead light or two in the trailer, turn off the master switch in the trailer. Either the light in the trailer goes out or it stays on. If it does go out then return to the tow and turn the ignition switch one position. Repeat until the trailer light gets electricity. It will take less time to do this test than to read it!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #104

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
When I added the 12v power wire from my tow vehicle battery to the 7 pin connector, I added to a circuit breaker on the FJ that has power only when the ignition is on.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #105

[QUOTE=alanmalk;116590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Just to add another data point to Ron's assertion that all tow vehicles aren't the same.

I checked and my 2014 Toyota only supplies power to the trailer when the ignition switch is in the on position (the position necessary to run the engine, as opposed to the "aux" position for the radio.)

Its an easy test on my '21. Plug the trailer into the tow vehicle with the ignition switch in the off position, turn on an overhead light or two in the trailer, turn off the master switch in the trailer. Either the light in the trailer goes out or it stays on. If it does go out then return to the tow and turn the ignition switch one position. Repeat until the trailer light gets electricity. It will take less time to do this test than to read it!

--
Alan
Hi, Alan,
If we turn off our master switch, we thought no power can go to lights or anything. How is power getting to the lights? We are charging the batteries on ours while we tow which I assume is the same for yours. At least, that is what I think is the case.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post

The solar. First of all, after reading all the great reports of the system, was naive in believing it could handle the Pacific NW at this time of year. My first mistake was leaping without looking and grabbing the site with the awesome view without realizing how heavy the tree cover was. (Sure was an awesome view though! ) But as mentioned, hard to recover from a drain like that.

Yes, did move to a more open site the next day (after five days at the sun-less site). Swept off the pine needles. Batteries started to charge -- sweet. Only to realize that was because I was still connected to the Tahoe. Ohhhh, the learning curve of the newbie! Unplugged Tahoe and charge slowly started to decrease. The sun came out for about a half hour and there was some charge but then the clouds came again and the party was over.
As Ellen found out - while riding the cusp of the learning curve - Solar can be a fickle solution. Her "worst case" scenario evolved from a combination of low winter sun angle, clouds, shade trees and leaves on the roof panel.

Here is my approach to generating more power - a hefty portable panel. ( A somewhat bulky 30 pounds and roughly the same wattage as the ETI panel.)
I can move it out from under local trees, keep it clean, and most importantly, point it directly at the sun. In my first test, taken last week on the upper Colorado River, I produced 2.3 amps from the ETI panel alone, but 7.5 amps when combined. This was at 9:30 am with a thin overcast. I'm very pleased with almost triple the power.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
solar0.jpg   solar2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #107

Quote:

Hi, Alan,
If we turn off our master switch, we thought no power can go to lights or anything. How is power getting to the lights? We are charging the batteries on ours while we tow which I assume is the same for yours. At least, that is what I think is the case.
All correct. The master switch "off" removes the batteries from the rest of the trailer circuits, (except for the propane detector in my '21). No lights, fans, pump, fridge, or battery changing, etc. But when the trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle, and depending on how the tow is wired, at some point there will be power to lights and everything else, and trailer batteries will take a charge when the master switch is back to "on". All we are trying to discover is when power is going the plug: Ignition switch off, ignition at "aux" or ignition at "engine run" position. Don't overthink this - the only goal is learn when your tow vehicle is providing power to the trailer.

--
Alan
Old 10-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
All correct. The master switch "off" removes the batteries from the rest of the trailer circuits, (except for the propane detector in my '21). No lights, fans, pump, fridge, or battery changing, etc. But when the trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle, and depending on how the tow is wired, at some point there will be power to lights and everything else, and trailer batteries will take a charge when the master switch is back to "on". All we are trying to discover is when power is going the plug: Ignition switch off, ignition at "aux" or ignition at "engine run" position. Don't overthink this - the only goal is learn when your tow vehicle is providing power to the trailer.

--
Alan
Alan, I am sure our propane detector is off when the master is off. I don't know why yours would be on since that is a newer unit. Even on our 2011, I am pretty sure that our detector was off if the switch was. Maybe someone will correct me. The switch is partly to make sure that there is no parasitic drain. Maybe you changed yours.

We will have to try getting the lights on with the master switch off! Thank you.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Alan, I am sure our propane detector is off when the master is off. I don't know why yours would be on since that is a newer unit. Even on our 2011, I am pretty sure that our detector was off if the switch was. Maybe someone will correct me. The switch is partly to make sure that there is no parasitic drain. Maybe you changed yours.

We will have to try getting the lights on with the master switch off! Thank you.
Found if in storage and didn't switch battery power off propane detector would drain batteries . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #110

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, very important to test the 7 pin connector charge line with a multimeter to confirm whether your charge line is hot all the time or shuts off with the ignition off. I test it with a new tow vehicle even if it says it has the ignition shutoff to make sure. My Nissan Frontier, the charge line is dead when the ignition is off so I can leave the trailer plug in when stopping on the hitch.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #111

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Thanks Alan, all summer I had every intention of pulling out the meter and checking to see if my plug was hot. If we stop for a quick overnight I do not unhitch or unplug. My obsessive compulsive twin self has woken up in the middle of the night (especially if the furnace is running), sleepily wondering if I am draining my trucks batteries.

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #112

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We do not stay hooked to the tow vehicle very often but if we do I always pull the plug. My headlights on the Highlander go off automatically and so I often forget to shut them off as I run with them on all the time. I noticed that if I don't switch them off, the Escape running lights stay on so I just go ahead and pull the plug. My checklist will catch plugging them in before we take off again. I'm running dual sixes and we are usually on the road enough each day or camp where there's some sun and the solar keeps them charged ok. I run the 5.0 cu ft refer on propane all the time, even when I have campground electric and keep the beer and pop in a cooler. I don't mind buying ice, every couple of days, just part of camping for us.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #113

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
he master switch "off" removes the batteries from the rest of the trailer circuits, (except for the propane detector in my '21). No lights, fans, pump, fridge, or battery changing, etc. But when the trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle, and depending on how the tow is wired, at some point there will be power to lights and everything else, and trailer batteries will take a charge when the master switch is back to "on".
That makes sense, because it is really a battery disconnect, rather than a master power switch. When it is off, the battery is disconnected (so no 12V DC power if you are not plugged into shore power or a generator or the tow vehicle), but if there is one of these alternative sources of power, all the 12V DC circuits are still powered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #114

Quote:
The switch is partly to make sure that there is no parasitic drain. Maybe you changed yours.
On my '21 the propane detector is next to the batteries (curb side) and the master switch is on the driver side. I didn't change that and I don't know ETI's logic behind it. I can live with that one parasitic drain - 120 milliamps as measured.

--
Alan
Old 10-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
My obsessive compulsive twin self has woken up in the middle of the night (especially if the furnace is running), sleepily wondering if I am draining my trucks batteries.

Scott and Lori
Flip the "master battery disconnect switch" to off. If the lights (and furnace) are still running then the juice is coming from somewhere. Either your tug or the WCO (sp?) converter if you are plugged in.

--
Alan
Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #116

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Found if in storage and didn't switch battery power off propane detector would drain batteries . Pat
That is kind of the way I read it but will double check to be sure. The trailer is headed for storage Tuesday, and I don't need dead batteries when I want to use it next time. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:24 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
That is kind of the way I read it but will double check to be sure. The trailer is headed for storage Tuesday, and I don't need dead batteries when I want to use it next time. Loren
Now I am thinking that ours may be the same as Alan's. On the 19', the detector was off with the switch off, but I am not so sure that is the case with the 21'. Does not matter on ours because we have solar but it does on yours.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #118

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Now I am thinking that ours may be the same as Alan's. On the 19', the detector was off with the switch off, but I am not so sure that is the case with the 21'. Does not matter on ours because we have solar but it does on yours.
I was glad when I discovered I could shut all battery power down with that switch . I would hate to have to disconnect from the batteries when I need to . I also use when I am working on wiring . Very convenient. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:54 AM   #119

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I had a real world lesson on batteries last week I took my trailer up to Escape to get the warranty repairs ( and quick connect / outdoor shower) my trailer batteries were not charging so my trailer was drawing power from my Highlander ended up with a dead car battery- my car does not limit battery draw to just when it's running -always thought it would so now I will be un plugging when spending the night hooked up. I got two new batteries at Escape so everything is running great now.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #120

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
WFCO - World Friendship Company

Fox Hunt - If you're a tinkerer, you can add a battery relay to the charge wire on the tow vehicle if you want to prevent the batteries from draining when not running. This one happens to be from a Ford diesel but it'd work on any vehicle.