Refrigerator on propane while moving? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
So you turn it off at the tank? And does that cause re-start issues when you get to your destination? We've been travelling with it running because it's been a little warm and I have a concern about how cold the fridge stays just running off the batteries when in transit.
Yes, we turn it off at the tanks. I haven't seen any restart issues.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
So it has been woking fine at highway speeds?
Is yours a 12V/120V/gas Unit? My instructor at RV101 said to never use the 12V while traveling because the battery would not be able to maintain the fridge temp in a typical tug & trailer set-up.
Yep, it works great. Yes, it's a 3-way unit. The fridge has to be cold when you start driving, however. I wouldn't recommend putting cold food in a warm fridge and then heading out on the highway.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
We have the three way option but have been just using propane, as you say, because I'm not sure the other options will keep things cool / cold. Hate to lose ice cream!
Ah! I don't know how ice cream or other frozen goodies would fare. We've removed the freezer in order to maximize space in the fridge. That way there's more room for beer.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have never heard a news report about a gas station fire being started by an RV parked near the pumps. Has anyone?

So even though I understand there is a potential risk of an RV fridge's flame igniting gasoline fumes, it looks like the probability of such an event must be very low.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have never heard a news report about a gas station fire being started by an RV parked near the pumps. Has anyone?

So even though I understand there is a potential risk of an RV fridge's flame igniting gasoline fumes, it looks like the probability of such an event must be very low.
I would go so far as to say it needs to be busted on "Mythbusters", Mike.

Think of the following example. Many state building codes require a gas hot water heater to be no lower than 18 inches off the floor. That's because people store flammable liquids (in the lawnmower, fuel can etc) near or on the garage floor that produce vapors in their garage, the typical water heater location. Add to that the fact that the garage door is usually closed, the garage gets much hotter than the house (at least in the summer) because it doesn't have AC, and the only venting is typically the little "suicide" vents on the side wall.

That all means a potentially high concentration of fumes and vapors in an enclosed area, near an open flame produced by a relatively large burner.

Houses aren't exploding on a daily basis from the water heater being in proximity to those fumes. So how can a puny isolated refrigerator burner, outside in open air at a gas station, be an ignition hazard when fueling? And if your tow vehicle uses Diesel, the risk is even more miniscule, because of Diesel's higher flashpoint. Plus - you're not fueling the trailer, but the tow. It's several feet away from the pump.

And, as has been pointed out before, gssoline vapors don't go up, they go down. Any spillage produces vapors that lessen to almost nothing 2 or 3 feet above the ground.

I'm as careful as the next guy, but sometimes the "rules" make no sense.

I won't try to dissuade someone from shutting off their propane on the fridge while fueling, but I'm simply not going to bother.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Yea, my sentiments exactly. I do not turn off propane at gas stations either. I do take one precaution however. I always pull into a pump(s) in such a manner that the trailer is "hanging out", not adjacent to other pumps where someone might be pumping.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would go so far as to say it needs to be busted on "Mythbusters", Mike.

All very valid points, and Mythbusters sort of did when they tried for LP explosions. Found it took very specific fuel air ratio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For those of you who are not worried about the refrigerator burner at a gas station because it's away from the pump you are using: do you back away from the pump island, or do you pull the trailer through past the pumps being used by other customers?

I'm really not very worried about the refrigerator igniting gasoline fumes, but I do turn off the refrigerator at gas stations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For those of you who are not worried about the refrigerator burner at a gas station because it's away from the pump you are using: do you back away from the pump island, or do you pull the trailer through past the pumps being used by other customers? .........
If I smelled strong gas fumes I'd back away. I once drove away after getting a only couple of gallons in my car, when the guy at the next pump spilled gas, and someone else was smoking in another aisle. Couldn't get away fast enough.

Usually, I go to the outside right aisle if I can, let the trailer stick out, and leave the frig. on; it's facing away from the pumps. (Also, because the fill port on the tow is on the left.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #30
Site Team

There is one thing I didn't address in my "theory" now that I think about it, but it has to do with unpredictability. People do crazy and dangerous things. Like the guy smoking. One carelessly thrown and unextinguished cigarette butt hitting spilled fuel could really ruin your day. The fridge being on or off won't change that.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You can do that. But if you have a really poor solar day and the next morning you can't use your coffee grinder and coffee maker you're going to be a real grouch.

Ron
I would only do this on a sunny day. My coffee maker and grinder are both non - electric.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
People do crazy and dangerous things. Like the guy smoking.
I'll second that.

While having my propane tank refilled the attendant was venting rather large amounts of propane into a cloud around the filling station. That's when his assistant walked out of the store and into the cloud smoking a cigaret. I yelled at him as soon as I saw it. To this day I don't know why we didn't all go up in flames.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Thanks for the advice

I appreciate all of the comments and know what I will be doing. I will be leaving the fridge running on gas while we are traveling, except when on a ferry, or heading for a tunnel.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you have your propane on at a gas station and some guy is smoking and the place goes up in flames, the one with the propane on in the trailer will likely be considered to be the cause.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post

While having my propane tank refilled the attendant was venting rather large amounts of propane into a cloud around the filling station. That's when his assistant walked out of the store and into the cloud smoking a cigaret. I yelled at him as soon as I saw it. To this day I don't know why we didn't all go up in flames.
And people think that it cannot happen to them.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If you have your propane on at a gas station and some guy is smoking and the place goes up in flames, the one with the propane on in the trailer will likely be considered to be the cause.
I kinda doubt that, because there are usually signs on the pumps for no smoking, and nothing about RV fridges.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #37

I have heard similar stories, except with strong gas fumes, that someone smoking with the vapours around them did not create ignition. Maybe if they took a hard draw on the cigarette it would heat up enough?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I kinda doubt that, because there are usually signs on the pumps for no smoking, and nothing about RV fridges.
I know there are signs for no smoking, but betting the person who drove in with propane on would be found to be the main cause and an insurance company could say that, too. The propane is the ignition source.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I know there are signs for no smoking, but betting the person who drove in with propane on would be found to be the main cause and an insurance company could say that, too. The propane is the ignition source.
Any fire or explosion would be investigated. Arson and fire investigators are extremely good at pinpointing the causes/ignition sources of fires. I know - I've worked with them. Their results are reported and available to the public. Good luck trying to prove in court that a trailer fridge caused something when there are reports from public officials saying otherwise. Besides, they could just as well say that if your fridge was off.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Besides, they could just as well say that if your fridge was off.
On mine, they would note the position of the mechanical switch, which would be gas. Even if the knob melted, I expect they can tell.
I advise not to fuel with the fridge on propane, but I ignore my own advice and choose an outside pump, with the trailer hanging out the back.