Refrigerator Replacement - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I've always wondered why that switch just wasn't on the inside to begin with. Thank you for all the information.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #42

Trailer: 2006 17A
Put loctite on the lower hinge screw. Our door has not fallen off since.
boardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I've always wondered why that switch just wasn't on the inside to begin with. Thank you for all the information.
I wondered about that when we went to pick up our trailer when the person doing the demo said that there was a switch there to turn the heater off and on. I didn't see it and asked where it was. She couldn't find it. It is a very poor awkward position and the interior switch is almost a no-brainer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Just got the forum email with your question. I'm currently working in Tucson, AZ. Our 19 ft Escape office has a Dometic DM2663LB refrigerator with Escape's auxiliary fan. The first five days here the refrigerator maintained 38-40 degrees with the outside air temperature (OAT) at mid-90 degrees without the auxiliary fan running. The last two days we've been at 111 and 116 degrees. Turning on the auxiliary fan kept the refrigerator at 38-40 degrees. We have the thermostat set at a "3" on the cold/coldest setting. Due to the terrain, we have little choice how we orient the trailer. The refrigerator side is in the sun for most of the afternoon.
mgfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfreeman View Post
Just got the forum email with your question. I'm currently working in Tucson, AZ. Our 19 ft Escape office has a Dometic DM2663LB refrigerator with Escape's auxiliary fan. The first five days here the refrigerator maintained 38-40 degrees with the outside air temperature (OAT) at mid-90 degrees without the auxiliary fan running. The last two days we've been at 111 and 116 degrees. Turning on the auxiliary fan kept the refrigerator at 38-40 degrees. We have the thermostat set at a "3" on the cold/coldest setting. Due to the terrain, we have little choice how we orient the trailer. The refrigerator side is in the sun for most of the afternoon.
Do you think the auxiliary fan helped, can you hear it running? Is this the standard or 2 door model?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
The DM2663LB is a two door refrigerator/freezer appliance.

Without the auxiliary fan running the refrigerator section did not get below 59 degrees during the hottest part of the first day the temperature went above 100 degrees. I turned on the auxiliary fan, and in about three hours, the temperature was back down to 40 degrees.

It's 110 degrees right now, the sun is beating down on the refrigerator side of the trailer, the auxiliary fan is on, and the thermometer in the refrigerator section is at 37 degrees.

You can hear the fan running. It's very quiet inside. More obvious with your ear against the out refrigerator air inlet.
mgfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is good news to hear, I know ETI no longer offers the optional "texas" fan, due to the fuse blowing while using under tow. But wondering if it is a off build sheet option. I'll have to check on that and promise to only use while sitting still.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I know ETI no longer offers the optional "texas" fan ...

We pick up our trailer in September and have the Exterior Fridge Fan ($175) on our build sheet. Nothing was ever said about it not being an option. Maybe it's just the name change because on our 19', they specifically called it the "Texas Fan".

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #49

Trailer: Tent trailer 2001; Escape 17B 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Hugh, I've read a lot more about these now. Dometic makes one that should fit perfectly as it's almost exactly the same size as my current fridge. The compressor they use now is Waeco, no longer the Danfoss/Secop. I would just have to think about how much I might miss using propane for the fridge. Now that I have electricity at my southern MO property I am no longer boon docking there. I do have one solar panel and two 6V batteries but adding more might be wise if the current setup isn't enough.

This one gets great reviews:
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...-140s-_-136705

It's rated for tropical too and works in up to 109 F/43 C.
Hi Nindy, I am wondering about a post you made July 14 2018 regarding a replacement fridge for the RM8551. I am looking at replacing the fridge in my Escape 17, an RM8551. The right hand model of that fridge is no longer made in NA. Did you replace your fridge? Was it the one you provided a link too? The DOMETIC COOLMATIC CRX 140S?
Thanks
Karen
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenM View Post
Hi Nindy, I am wondering about a post you made July 14 2018 regarding a replacement fridge for the RM8551. I am looking at replacing the fridge in my Escape 17, an RM8551. The right hand model of that fridge is no longer made in NA. Did you replace your fridge? Was it the one you provided a link too? The DOMETIC COOLMATIC CRX 140S?
Thanks
Karen
I still have my original RM8551 fridge. I have problems with it off and on but most of the time it's working. I had the propane flow adjusted and added a little fan inside and both have helped keep it cooler.

In August I took a two-week plus trip to MT, ID and WY and it was not working on propane just prior to that and I kept trying to get it to work but was never hearing it try to light. I was with electricity for a lot of the trip and when not plugged in I used a cooler. Took it in when I got home and it started working again without repair - doh!

The door still falls off occasionally and I have failed to use Loctite as boardhead mentioned. I'll try that before my Thanksgiving week trip. Not sure that will help though since the little pin in the bottom just slips off the metal part with the hole where it rests. I installed a strap to keep it on while traveling.

Someday it will need to be replaced and the fridge used now on the 17s will not fit through the door. I want to stick with an absorption model so I can run off propane. The largest replacement Dometic currently carries is smaller than the 4.3 cu ft RM8551. It's been a while since I measured and researched this but I think it's the 3.7 cu ft RM8501 that is the best fit.

Linda
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #51

Trailer: Tent trailer 2001; Escape 17B 2014
Thanks Linda, mine has not really worked for two seasons so I am replacing it. The model I am looking at is the RM2354, only 3cuft, so it smaller but hopefully more reliable. Just need the RV folks to confirm that it fits fine.
Karen
KarenM is offline   Reply With Quote