Refrigerator Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Refrigerator Replacement

I hate to bring up another refrigerator thread but...

My RM8551 4.3 cu ft has just quit working on both propane and electricity. I'm considering just replacing it rather than having it fixed since it's had two big problems from the beginning.

One - the door hinge keeps getting loose and the door falls off. I can usually get it back on until it's so loose that I need to take it in for service.
Two - it barely stays cool enough or is barely not cool enough in hot weather on the highest setting.

With so many complaints about Dometic, I was wondering if anyone had experience with Norcold and is it a better choice assuming there is one that fits the space? It looks like the model 410/412 would possibly work. Are there any other choices out there?

I will go ahead and take it in for service in case it's an easy fix but that still doesn't solve problems one and two above. Thank you for any advice.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Yep. We have trouble with ours above 85 degrees. Google adding an additional fan to this unit to increase effectiveness if you can't get a Norcold unit to fit.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I hate to bring up another refrigerator thread but...

My RM8551 4.3 cu ft has just quit working on both propane and electricity. I'm considering just replacing it rather than having it fixed since it's had two big problems from the beginning.

One - the door hinge keeps getting loose and the door falls off. I can usually get it back on until it's so loose that I need to take it in for service.
Two - it barely stays cool enough or is barely not cool enough in hot weather on the highest setting.

With so many complaints about Dometic, I was wondering if anyone had experience with Norcold and is it a better choice assuming there is one that fits the space? It looks like the model 410/412 would possibly work. Are there any other choices out there?

I will go ahead and take it in for service in case it's an easy fix but that still doesn't solve problems one and two above. Thank you for any advice.

You will probably just change one problem for another. We've had a Norcold before and it was no better than Dometic. At least the Dometic has not had the thermocouple fail and freeze everything inside the refrigerator yet like the Norcold did. Then a few months later the board for the display failed and it froze everything again. When you have insulin stored that you cannot do without that becomes a problem.

It was no better at keeping things cold, after a temperature monitor was installed I found it often crept over 50 degrees while traveling. So we kept stuff we needed to keep cool in a cooler with ice and used the fridge after we arrived .
We did the suggested push pull fans in the back and the one inside the compartment fix, the radiant barrier fix, installed a flame shield, moved food around inside it to allow air flow and had it in several times to be looked at and were told its just the nature of the beast.
When it was in for service of course it worked fine since it was not moving on a highway. That was when it failed to keep cool.

I was expecting the Dometic to be just as bad so when we went up to Chilliwack to pick it up I had my cooler full of ice for stuff that needed to be kept cold. And found we did not need it.

So far the Dometic RM2554 has worked fine. I did install a remote temperature monitor in it as I do not want to repeat losing insulin.

Edit, the only time our Dometic acted up was after I installed Camco bug screens in the vents. It would not cool on the highway. Removed the screens and it was fine again.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
After watching a $250,000 motor home destroyed because of a fire in their Norcold refrigerator , I am not sure that Norcold is the answer
Maybe Norcold has solved the problem by now
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
You should get a 12V compressor fridge, Danfoss. They work like a home refrigerator and, I understand, are much better at holding temps. Add a couple of solar panels and a corresponding battery bank, you're set to go.

Yes, really, please try thing. I really want to know how well it works.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After watching a $250,000 motor home destroyed because of a fire in their Norcold refrigerator , I am not sure that Norcold is the answer

Our Norcold had a recall. I remember the letter saying to turn it off and not use it until it was inspected and repaired.

I installed a device on our Dometic that should lower the risk of what was happening to the Norcolds as it can happen with Dometics too. https://www.arprv.com/

Maybe overkill but I figure it will keep the unit from overheating the boiler when it is off center so it should last longer.

The things you will do when you really need it to keep stuff cool.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #7

Trailer: none
Nindy, you are ensuring the fridge is level and that you are positioning your trailer so the fridge side is out of the hot afternoon sun, right?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-3-a-6058.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ng-5344-4.html
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nindy rather than a complete replacement, you might want to consider the Amish rebuilt cooling unit replacement. Folks have reported very good luck with those. They do not do all models so you would need to contact them. The fine folks who bought our 2010 17b just had it done and are very happy with the results.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Nindy rather than a complete replacement, you might want to consider the Amish rebuilt cooling unit replacement. Folks have reported very good luck with those. They do not do all models so you would need to contact them. The fine folks who bought our 2010 17b just had it done and are very happy with the results.

Eric funny you should mention that, I’m just waiting to hear back from these people. I’ve been in contact with them for awhile now and they were talking about producing a cooling unit if there was enough demand out there.

Nindy you might want to contact them and see what they have available with regards to a replacement Amish cooling unit.

Contact info.
JC Refrigeration LLC
6495-W 200-N
Shipshewana IN 46565
P 260-768-4067 F 260-768-4424
jcref@centurylink.net www.jc-refrigeration.com
Old 07-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
While it is worth checking, i've been told they don't make cooling units for refrigerators under 6 cu ft.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While it is worth checking, i've been told they don't make cooling units for refrigerators under 6 cu ft.
I think the one in our 17b was a 5 cu. ft.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
I think the one in our 17b was a 5 cu. ft.
I just emailed JC Refrigeration about our 5 cu. ft. RM2510. I’ll report back with what I find out.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Ugh, yes, just read about that problem last night. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep, read about that one too. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Yep. We have trouble with ours above 85 degrees. Google adding an additional fan to this unit to increase effectiveness if you can't get a Norcold unit to fit.
Read about adding a fan last night. Did you do that and did it help?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
You will probably just change one problem for another. We've had a Norcold before and it was no better than Dometic.
All good stuff to hear - thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
You should get a 12V compressor fridge, Danfoss. They work like a home refrigerator and, I understand, are much better at holding temps. Add a couple of solar panels and a corresponding battery bank, you're set to go.

Yes, really, please try thing. I really want to know how well it works.

Thanks.
Interesting... thanks!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Our Norcold had a recall. I remember the letter saying to turn it off and not use it until it was inspected and repaired.

I installed a device on our Dometic that should lower the risk of what was happening to the Norcolds as it can happen with Dometics too. https://www.arprv.com/

Maybe overkill but I figure it will keep the unit from overheating the boiler when it is off center so it should last longer.

The things you will do when you really need it to keep stuff cool.
Wow, I guess I was up too late researching all of this since I ran into this product too. Sounds like something useful. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Nindy, you are ensuring the fridge is level and that you are positioning your trailer so the fridge side is out of the hot afternoon sun, right?
Yes, I am. Always perfectly level and the fridge is on the shady side all day long on my property. Thanks.