Refrigerator Test - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hope someone can upright picture . I don't understand why it is sideways . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Stayed at a lake for a week .Temps in the 100's . 106 then 104-103 . Midday sun on refrigerator side all day . Found 120 worked the best to keeping temps in refrigerator instead of gas . Fan inside on . Wired a little computer waterproof fan inside with a switch too. Both fans outside behind refrigerator and in the chase behind on . In my mods shows all the insulation I added to cabinet before . Cabinet is sealed tight with insulation. Fans running 24 hrs a day . Setting on 4 . Thermistor just hanging loose inside refrigerator . Of course AC running . Reflex inside all windows except kitchen and bath windows .for a refrigerator that isn't supposed to work above 80's outside temp . Pretty happy with results . Pat
Pat: glad to see the work we have put into better fridge performance is paying off. It’s great having a cold fridge in crazy hot weather. For the propane side make sure you check the pressure right at the fridge. I know I’ve said it several times now, but it made the biggest difference for me.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: glad to see the work we have put into better fridge performance is paying off. It’s great having a cold fridge in crazy hot weather. For the propane side make sure you check the pressure right at the fridge. I know I’ve said it several times now, but it made the biggest difference for me.
Hi Dave have manameter in my cart at Amazon . Definetly will .when I do will ask for help if OK . I forgot I can remove freezer door on our refrigerator but I had left it on. In the past I have also removed and besides giving more room in refrigerator it helps also . Pat
Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Accuride or accurite it doesn't seem to matter this summer. Our fridge just doesn't get cold enough for my beer taste, and can't recover over night either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, You just need to drink better beer. Stouts taste as good at room temperature as they do cold.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Dave have manameter in my cart at Amazon . Definetly will .when I do will ask for help if OK.
Pat: I’d be happy to help
Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #86

Quote:
Pat: I’d be happy to help
Thanks Dave . Pat
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
On our recent trip to the Maritimes we had fridge issues. Trouble staying cool, but more so on propane as we traveled. Have been looking at posts of experiences, mods, and maintenance that others have done. Sorry for the simple question, but does the fridge have to come out to get to the gas jets for cleaning and adjusting? Space is pretty tight and I do not know how some of you guys managed to get in to do your work. I would also believe it has to come out to have the baffles installed.

Has anyone had a negative experience when they installed ventilation fans?

What are opinions for choices to replace the Dometic unit, model 8551?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #88

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Dometic replaced my RML8555 with the 2 door RMD8555, better but not great.

I can get to the burner from the access grate. I removed mine to insulate, if you are talking about adding a baffle for the exhaust, It would need to come out for that too. That's something I didn't do.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
On our recent trip to the Maritimes we had fridge issues. Trouble staying cool, but more so on propane as we traveled. Have been looking at posts of experiences, mods, and maintenance that others have done. Sorry for the simple question, but does the fridge have to come out to get to the gas jets for cleaning and adjusting? Space is pretty tight and I do not know how some of you guys managed to get in to do your work. I would also believe it has to come out to have the baffles installed.

Has anyone had a negative experience when they installed ventilation fans?

What are opinions for choices to replace the Dometic unit, model 8551?

Thanks.
I started the thread and I’m sure you’ve seen my posts, but I’ll repeat a bit to summarize what has worked. Since you have a newer trailer there are likely a few things on your side. You may already have a tighter cabinet space the fridge sits in (with insulation?) and you should have the top vent versus sidewall. If there are large gaps on the top and sides that should be taken care of. I did do the two exterior condenser fans but I’m not sure they are helping all that much. The breakthrough was when I replaced the propane regulator AND then checked the pressure at the fridge test port with a manometer. Increased the pressure on the regulator up at the tanks until pressure wouldn’t drop below 11” wc with ~50% of trailer BTU’s in use. This put the pressure around 12” wc with no other propane loads. (I wonder if ETI is doing this at the factory?) On a hot day it used to not hold temp very well when traveling. My last short trip on a very hot day the fridge temp didn’t change while I was on the road. I was amazed. I also did the internal fan on the evaporator which helps for a more even temp in the fridge. Hope this helps.

In summary, this is what I would do in this order if I knew back at the start of all this what I know now:
1. Verify propane pressure at fridge
2. Check/clean burner and jet
3. Ensure no large air gaps around fridge (insulate if needed)
4. Exterior condenser fans
5. Internal evaporator fan
Old 10-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #90

Quote:
In summary, this is what I would do in this order if I knew back at the start of all this what I know now:
1. Verify propane pressure at fridge
2. Check/clean burner and jet
3. Ensure no large air gaps around fridge (insulate if needed)
4. Exterior condenser fans
5. Internal evaporator fan
Wow I can't believe it was over 3 years ago that I started this thread. Wanted to check back in with some information. Fridge has worked great since the changes above but I have some updates. Removed the external condenser fans because the fridge ran so well without using them even in the hottest weather. The internal evaporator fan/light combo that I purchased with very small fans was being problematic and was removed in favor of a DIY computer fan and switch that I wired up for better airflow. It is not clipped to the fins but rather is zip tied to the rear of the top rack blowing air into the evaporator fins. I used HVAC foil tape to reseal the cracks around the fridge perimeter that I had filled with insulation previously. By the way besides the replacement propane regulator and proper pressure this is the biggest improvement. There was large gaps around the sides and top of the fridge allowing hot air to surround the cabinet and disrupting the natural convection that is needed to take the warm air up and out the sidewall vent and draw cooler air in the bottom. When I did all this I bumped the flue a few times and some crud must have fell down into the burner. When I tested the fridge after my work it was not cooling well. Removed and cleaned the burner and jet yesterday and it is doing well again. Last night on a setting of 5 the freezer got to -13F and the fridge got down to 23F.