Refrigerator Thermometer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Refrigerator Thermometer

Does anyone have a suggestion for an external refrigerator thermometer? I have some medication that I need to keep around 40 degrees. Last summer I was challenged to maintain this temperature and was opening the door a lot to check on the internal thermometer, which probably didn't help much with cooling. Something battery powered with a high, low, and current temp, clock, thin profile for door or cabinet mounting would be great! Adhesive mounting would be OK but I would prefer screw mounted. I have a basic $9.99 one that I use at home to check the outside temp before I leave for work that would be fine, but it's roundish and not mountable.

Thanks!
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I use Temp Minder that I bought at Camping World. I got three remotes and have one in the front propane box, refrigerator, and freezer. I mounted each by attaching a piece of velcro to the back and then sticking them on the right spot. You need to be able to remove them to change the batteries. I mounted the master just inside the trailer door. I can remotely monitor outside, refrigerator, and freezer temperatures.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for an external refrigerator thermometer? I have some medication that I need to keep around 40 degrees. Last summer I was challenged to maintain this temperature and was opening the door a lot to check on the internal thermometer, which probably didn't help much with cooling. Something battery powered with a high, low, and current temp, clock, thin profile for door or cabinet mounting would be great! Adhesive mounting would be OK but I would prefer screw mounted. I have a basic $9.99 one that I use at home to check the outside temp before I leave for work that would be fine, but it's roundish and not mountable.

Thanks!
I bring extra insulin when we travel and it too needs to be kept cool.
The sensorpush unit works well. I set both alarms, one if the refrigerator dips below 35 degrees and one if it rises above 45.
It's $50 at Amazon and when checked several times with a probe based unit is accurate enough. This communicates via Bluetooth with a smartphone. Both Android and iPhones are supported.
It works well with our truck and 19 combo .

It's kept it in a small plastic baggie as I do not care about the humidity sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...rds=sensorpush
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I’ve been testing this on a home fridge and it has been working great. Shows min/max/current temp and has high and low audible alarms for 2 sensors. Could be fridge and freezer or fridge and outdoors. Neat feature over the popular Acurite model is that this also has indoor temperature built in. No clock though. Monitor mounts with magnets, screws or has a stand for the counter.

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-...erator+monitor
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I bring extra insulin when we travel and it too needs to be kept cool.
The sensorpush unit works well. I set both alarms, one if the refrigerator dips below 35 degrees and one if it rises above 45.
It's $50 at Amazon and when checked several times with a probe based unit is accurate enough. This communicates via Bluetooth with a smartphone. Both Android and iPhones are supported.
It works well with our truck and 19 combo .

It's kept it in a small plastic baggie as I do not care about the humidity sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...rds=sensorpush
I have 2 SensorPush transmitters, one in the freezer & the other in the fridge. Works great, and the logging is useful.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I've tried two different models of wireless thermometers for the 'fridge. Both seemed to work for some time then failed. One marked "Temp Minder" and the other "TFA". These have been discarded. Next time I'll try a wired thermometer for the main 'fridge compartment. Too bad 'cuz one wireless sensor in the 'fridge and one outside would be great.

I'd consider a separate 'fridge for medications. I'm sure they are made to run off 12V. The electric/propane 'fridges in RVs are notoriously poor at holding temp. That is particularly true at high ambient temps.

Please let us know what you get and how it work for you.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I've had the temp minder for 4 years. The only thing I've done is replace batteries. I do take the batteries out of the clock part when I'm not camping.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I've tried two different models of wireless thermometers for the 'fridge. Both seemed to work for some time then failed. One marked "Temp Minder" and the other "TFA". These have been discarded. Next time I'll try a wired thermometer for the main 'fridge compartment. Too bad 'cuz one wireless sensor in the 'fridge and one outside would be great.

I'd consider a separate 'fridge for medications. I'm sure they are made to run off 12V. The electric/propane 'fridges in RVs are notoriously poor at holding temp. That is particularly true at high ambient temps.

Please let us know what you get and how it work for you.

Thanks.

Get a small insulated bag to keep your meds in and place that inside the fridge with a couple unfrozen precooled gel packs packed with the meds. It smooths out the temperature variations.

I keep a couple frozen gel packs in the freezer so if the fridge does start to act up I can place one or two of them into the bag. That gives me time to find an alternate method of cooling if the refrigerator goes on the fritz. Worked well so far with several trailers and a Class C. I started monitoring temperature after a Norcold refrigerator had a problem and went into failure mode. Unfortunately failure mode was to keep the burner running so it froze my medicine while we were on a trip.
I do not want to repeat the problems that caused me.
The sensorpush works well and since the smartphone can monitor the temperature from the truck and if it does go above or below the temperature setting will send an alarm.

Most of the small coolers for meds are peltier devices and only good for keeping the temperature at max 40 degrees below ambient temp. I've tried a few and when it was in the mid 80's the temperature inside was at best in the high 50's low 60'sF. There was one that does work well but it is no longer in production. It could not compete with the cheap coolers coming out of China.
So far no one seems to have found one of the small thermometric coolers that cools well and and last for very long. Small AC DC medical refrigerators exist, the good ones are expensive and are power hungry on DC.

Not sure which medication the original poster uses that needs kept around 40F but so far the insulated bag with extra gel packs to moderate the temperature and a sensorpush have worked well for me with meds that need to be kept below 46F and above freezing.

Here's a bit about peltier junction AKA thermoelectric devices used for cooling.
https://www.meerstetter.ch/compendiu...ier-controller
https://www.arkportablepower.com/blo...-pros-and-cons
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Most of the small coolers for meds are peltier devices and only good for keeping the temperature at max 40 degrees below ambient temp. I've tried a few and when it was in the mid 80's the temperature inside was at best in the high 50's low 60'sF. There was one that does work well but it is no longer in production. It could not compete with the cheap coolers coming out of China. So far no one seems to have found one of the small thermometric coolers that cools well and and last for very long. Small AC DC medical refrigerators exist, the good ones are expensive and are power hungry on DC.
wetzk: These are small compressor based units that appear to work well based on reviews. Still power hungry I’m sure, but coupled with solar could be a possibility??

http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CDF-11.../dp/B005X97OHA
Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have three of the SensorPush monitors plus the home gateway. If you are have a smart phone (required) they are a painless method of monitoring. For something critical, their alarm system will notify your phone if you are within the range of Bluetooth or over the internet if you have the gateway.

I find they work quite reliably from inside the car while driving. Pricy but they work.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

Trailer: Past: 2010 Casita SD(SOLD) Current: 2018 21' Escape
Perfect

HI,

These are perfect for us. Keep track of high and low and displays current temp. Magnetic or can stick on. Suction cups for sensor attachment in fridge and freezer. Two sensors and main display unit. We have used this in our Casita and plan on using in our new Escape 21. We soooo can't wait for our Escape to be complete!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OH BOY! Weeeeee!
SuezqsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’ve been testing this on a home fridge and it has been working great. Shows min/max/current temp and has high and low audible alarms for 2 sensors. Could be fridge and freezer or fridge and outdoors. Neat feature over the popular Acurite model is that this also has indoor temperature built in. No clock though. Monitor mounts with magnets, screws or has a stand for the counter.

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-...erator+monitor
We bought this one and have tested in our home refrigerator and freezer. It is a little confusing how to set the alarms, but doable. The nice thing is that the magnet can be used to attach the master unit to the range hood. You also get room temperature, but no humidity information. Since the master unit is not permanently attached you can have it in the tug when you are towing.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuezqsZoo View Post
HI,

These are perfect for us. Keep track of high and low and displays current temp. Magnetic or can stick on. Suction cups for sensor attachment in fridge and freezer. Two sensors and main display unit. We have used this in our Casita and plan on using in our new Escape 21. We soooo can't wait for our Escape to be complete!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OH BOY! Weeeeee!
We have the same one- seems to work pretty well.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I like my SensorPush sensors. The first one I bought didn't work at all and the company promptly sent me a new one.

They seem to be pretty robust. When my trailer fridge failed I put the sensor in a ziplock bag and put that in a cooler that I bought to substitute for the fridge. Unfortunately the bag failed and the sensor became immersed in ice water. It stopped working. I took it out, took it apart, removed the battery, and let it all dry out for a few hours. When I reassembled the sensor it started working again, and it's still going. So I'm pretty happy with them.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
We have the same one- seems to work pretty well.
I too like the Acurite. I found out that you can loosen the screws on the kitchen window valance and slide the bracket that folds out in the crack. Then when you tighten the valance back it is held in place. I hate mounting things with screws or tape unless absolutely necessary.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmtn View Post
We bought this one and have tested in our home refrigerator and freezer. It is a little confusing how to set the alarms, but doable.
I have not set the alarms yet, but I did notice the instructions appear a bit confusing.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I too like the Acurite. I found out that you can loosen the screws on the kitchen window valance and slide the bracket that folds out in the crack. Then when you tighten the valance back it is held in place. I hate mounting things with screws or tape unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for all the great ideas. I do use a small blue ice in a container to help moderate temperature swings for my insulin and I'll try the Acurite. I know these refrigerators aren't the greatest, but they sure beat using ice on extended remote camping trips.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote