Reinforced walls for 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Reinforced walls for 19

Any suggestions on what walls to reinforce and why you chose those walls?

I am thinking about having two walls reinforced, 1 and 6. Kitchen wall and driver side front wall. Kitchen for spices, cooking items. Front wall for coat rack.

Thank you!

Linda
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

Formica choice?

Also, going with standard fabric, possibly formica. Has any one chosen a lighter formica, that matches well with standard fabric?

Looking for ideas!

Computer geek, non-decorator!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depending on your stove set up and/or stove cover, there may not be room for spice racks on the kitchen side of that wall. Also there are 2 exposed surfaces to that wall and it is a narrow wall so be clear to ETI which side you want reinforced. All the other wall locations only have one exposed surface.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Spices are best stored in a cool, dark place, not next to or above burners.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56reader View Post
Any suggestions on what walls to reinforce and why you chose those walls?

I am thinking about having two walls reinforced, 1 and 6. Kitchen wall and driver side front wall. Kitchen for spices, cooking items. Front wall for coat rack.

Thank you!

Linda
We reinforced wall 6 and wall 2. The one by the foot of the bed for a TV mount, and the one at the dinetter for Umbra hooks or whatever.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Spices are best stored in a cool, dark place, not next to or above burners.
Good point! Burners are close to mounting anything on stove side.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Also, going with standard fabric, possibly formica. Has any one chosen a lighter formica, that matches well with standard fabric?

Looking for ideas!

We (actually, my artist wife) decided to go with the standard fabric for now. It's replaceable. The valences at the windows are not as easy to replace, but do-able.
The formica is a different matter, because it is permanent. We looked at formica choices online, then went to our local big orangebox store to look at samples (also, pick up free small samples). When we went to ETI, we took our choice with us, and selected a trim/edging color as well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Looking for ideas!

The fabric is a matter of taste. Almost any fabric is "replaceable". We went with a Sunbrella Fabric and if we need to repair or replace cushions in the future, we'll just order it and have a local upholstery shop do it. As for Formica, check out the following link:

Formica Laminate Swatches - Samples

You can order a sample of any of them. The samples are about 6" x 8". We ordered 4 samples and once we had them next to the fabric swatch the choosing part was easy.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Be aware that the reinforced walls are not reinforced all the way to the outer shell - the inner plywood stops short of that and is just a straight edged board. Might ask ETI how wide the reinforcing board is when you discuss it; I found out when I tried to put a screw in a "reinforced wall" close the the shell for a shelf support and discovered the wall was hollow there.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 19'
On our 19' the reinforced walls are simply pieces of plywood placed between the pine framework. Also they are in the top 2/3 of the wall, not extending to the floor. I checked and that was the standard in Aug of 2014.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

linda i was in a quandry re reinforcing the walls. my previous 19 that was stolen didn't have any wall treatment consequently i couldn't instal a coat rack. the toilet wall door side was where i wanted a rack. so was considering having it reinforced. talking to rease i find out there is a horizontal stud inside the wall that a rack can be screwed to therefore i cancelled the reinforcing of that wall. the only wall i reinforced was the one behind the stove--- window to stove wall. i can now put up a rack for spices and coffee cups.
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris View Post
the only wall i reinforced was the one behind the stove--- window to stove wall. i can now put up a rack for spices and coffee cups.
Repeating: spices should be stored in a cool dark place. And, coffee cups in that location can become spotted with grease ( assuming you cook on the stove ). If you have a stove cover, it flips up to the exterior wall and will cover the rack when open ( at least it does on mine ).
Attached Thumbnails
17b kitchen counter.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris View Post
linda i was in a quandry re reinforcing the walls. my previous 19 that was stolen didn't have any wall treatment consequently i couldn't instal a coat rack. the toilet wall door side was where i wanted a rack. so was considering having it reinforced. talking to rease i find out there is a horizontal stud inside the wall that a rack can be screwed to therefore i cancelled the reinforcing of that wall. the only wall i reinforced was the one behind the stove--- window to stove wall. i can now put up a rack for spices and coffee cups.

Not to take the thread too much off track, but did you ever find out what happened to your previous 19? or is it in the hands of some scoundrel, (may the fleas of 1000 goats sleep in their bed)?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We reinforced the kitchen wall, left side refrigerator at bed, front facing and side facing bath walls.

You never know when you are going to want to hang something and it does not add enough weight to really make any difference. I figured I would want to mount something where there is no bracing.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
reinforced walls

So, my question is: when do you need to reinforce, and when don't you?

1. We are thinking of putting hooks into the outside of bathroom wall facing
front door or sink area so we can hang coats. Is it necessary to reinforce the wall for coat hooks?

2. What about for the spice rack that has been mentioned?

Thx. Jennifer
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
Is it necessary to reinforce the wall for coat hooks?
I didn't. On my three-hook rack I hang a walking stick, two coats, and all my keys. On my two-hook rack, I hang my camera, binocs, hats, and waist packs.

Edited: When Reace asked me during orientation where I wanted the racks hung, I told him and he didn't bat an eye.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We reinforced the kitchen wall, left side refrigerator at bed, front facing and side facing bath walls.

You never know when you are going to want to hang something and it does not add enough weight to really make any difference. I figured I would want to mount something where there is no bracing.
Just about the same here . Even with Escape ,hanging TV support , it was pulling out from wall . We never travel with our TV hanging on support ,we remove TV for travel , a 22in . I had to add more support to wall to hang our TV . As Tom said doesn't add much weight . Trailers are "like moving Earthquakes " going down the road . Any extra support won't hurt , just in case you want to hang something . The extra wall support is just thin ply , but it is extra support . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The extra wall support is just thin ply , but it is extra support . Pat
Define 'thin' ply please.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Define 'thin' ply please.
Ours are about 1/4 in . Looks like it is done better in newer trailers ,Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
reinforce walls Q&A from ETI email with regard to 2017 Escape 19
1. Are there 4 or 5 walls that can be reinforced? There are actually 6 walls that can be reinforce: 1) between kitchen and bed 2) between bed and fridge 3) between fridge and wardrobe 4, 5, 6) all three sides of the bathroom
2. How are they identified (numbered?) for the purpose of requesting the reinforcing? You can tell us the location of the wall, we will number it. The purpose of reinforcing a wall is if you want to hang things on the walls. However, unless it is something heavier, like jackets or spice rack, for example, it is not necessarily needed. We do ensure that our additions, like counter extensions, TV mounts, are mounted on a stud.
3. What is the cost to reinforce each wall? The cost is $100/wall. It also adds 25 pounds to the trailer weight for each reinforced wall.
4. What exactly is the reinforcing material/ method? The reinforced wall is simply a solid sheet of plywood within inside the wall.
5. If its plywood what is its thickness? It is ½
6. I have heard it is some additional plywood installed in a wall but not the entire wall floor to ceiling. Is that true or false? No, the entire wall would be reinforced
7. Can you provide a picture of a non-reinforced wall interior versus one that is reinforced to better understand what it is? I would easily understand without a picture if it was a solid sheet of plywood floor to ceiling replacing one of the fake wall stick/veneer structures
currently in the trailer. We do not have pictures of the open walls that are reinforced. I did manage to find a picture of one of the trailers while in production. It is the standard wall with the braces and the wood paneling. The paneling is actual wood, 1/8 thick.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote