Repalcing broken support straps for sewage pipe holder - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
Repalcing broken support straps for sewage pipe holder

Hello all,

I'm replacing the metal straps which held on the CVC pipe that enclosed the flexible sewage hose on my 19'. I think the original bands broke because of some road debris.

I was just going to use a heavier gauge of metal but I thought someone on this list may have a better mounting idea.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn E. Myers

2012 Honda Pilot
2011 Escape 19'
2006 Irish Terrier
Arathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #2

*Replacing* broken support straps for sewage pipe holder

Sorry about typo in subject. I guess I rely on spellcheck too much (and it doesn't work in subject field).

Any spelling Nazis on this list? I hope not.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't know how your storage tube on a 19 was originally installed, but I completely replaced the original on my 17B, and added straps.

The original tube was sewer line type PVC, bolted to a frame plate from the inside of the tube. This was a big improvement over previous installations I had seen, but the sewer hose end had to have two tabs removed to fit into the PVC tube, and the sewer hose lacked a fitting for the other end. I wanted different sewer hose, so bought the Rhino-Flex brand and a new Valterra storage tube, made for RVs. I bolted on the new tube through the inside as before, but since the Valterra tube is a little flimsier than PVC, I added 6" stainless steel hose clamps around the plate that holds the bolt. It's between the bolt and frame, and is very secure.

Sorry I don't have a photo immediately available, I didn't think to take one.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

P.S. It was still necessary to slightly sand down the tabs on the Rhino-Flex hose fitting ends to fit the Valterra tube, but it wasn't necessary to completely remove anything.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Maybe I should consider replacing the whole thing. The pipe is kind of worn from dragging it along the highway for a few miles.

Did you use the E-Z Hose Carrier by Valterra? Those look nice. I only use it once a trip to empty gray water. We don't use internal plumbing very much.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

That's the one. I also like that they can be accessed from either end, although the end caps aren't quite as secure as a screw-on PVC end. They have two molded-in mounting plates which were superfluous for me. I got it at Camping World, probably paid a little more there!

Somewhere on the forum are some postings from those who have replaced their storage tubes with 5" or 6" square plastic fence posts, and are quite happy with it. I might have tried that, but as it turns out I went to Camping World, and said what the heck....
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I replaced mine with a 5" hollow plastic fence post machine screwed to the frame. The advantage is it holds a heavy duty hose, complete with right angle sewer adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_5760.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I went with a 6" PVC tube with twist in cap behind the spare tire on my 19'

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote