Replacement door lock for 2014 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Replacement door lock for 2014 Escape

We just pulled in to a campground in northern California and the original lock on the entry door to our 2014 Escape 21 malfunctioned to the point where we no longer trust it. Has anyone else had to replace that lock and, if so, what brand and model number did you install?

I called an RV tech in our home town and he suggested that a Trimark lock would be more reliable, and said a Fastec would be his second choice. He's not a fan of the stock unit.

Also, is there a Californian reading this who knows of a good RV repair shop between Benbow and Bodega Bay?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brent.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
A recall was issued for the Fastec lock on the 2014 Escape 21, or for at least some of them. However, I've had some problems with the replacement, so if I were you I'd consider using another brand.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Haven't had any trouble with the Fastec (FIC) lock on our 2010, but now realize I need to check if it was part of the large recall.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...call-2718.html

Bauer may be another option. I had our lock off completely when I insulated the door. Should be an easy replacement.

Travel Trailer Replacement Door Latches, Black Finish - AP 013-520 - Interior Hardware - Camping World
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We had to replace our lock in our 014-5TA. It's fairly easy to do yourself, but you need a star shaped bit. The part number is there. We haven't had any problems, so far, with this one - it's a Bauer..
Attached Thumbnails
imagea.jpg  
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I picked up Ten Forward on July 2, 2014. The trailer has the Bauer lock.

I wonder when in 2014, the lockset brand was changed?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We picked ours up just after you - we're #13- August 23. I'm not sure what make the original one was- it could very likely have been a Bauer- it's been almost two years since it was replaced.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

My 2014 model Escape 21 was manufactured in the fall of 2013, and I picked it up in April 2014.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #8

Two locks in one! Who knew?

We haven't been able to find a technician to fix or replace our door lock in a relatively remote part of California, but all is well because we discovered why our original Bauer lock has two keyholes.

The lower keyhole, which we had never used, also secures the door, and will do for now. We'll pick up a replacement lock when we hit a Camping World on I-5 next week, and wait until we get home to install it.

Thanks for your comments and advice, everyone.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
We haven't been able to find a technician to fix or replace our door lock in a relatively remote part of California, but all is well because we discovered why our original Bauer lock has two keyholes.

The lower keyhole, which we had never used, also secures the door, and will do for now. We'll pick up a replacement lock when we hit a Camping World on I-5 next week, and wait until we get home to install it.

Thanks for your comments and advice, everyone.
The lower keyhole is for the deadbolt. I use both locks most of the time, particularly when we are in transit as the door seems to be held more securely closed when the deadbolt is used. I doubt that the locks do much to deter thieves as the door could easily be ripped off the wall by any determined thief, even with the deadbolt activated. However, my insurance is good and up to date so I never worry to much about that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Trailer: None now
Be careful with the lower bolt lock. We had a Forest River trailer and we were locked out. The top part worked fine the lower just turned and did nothing. The locksmith removed the door to gain access and showed us the small bent piece of wire inserted into a pot metal piece that failed. He said he has been to the park we were staying in quite a few times over the years for the exact same problem. His recommendation was do not use it. I noticed the original door lock on our 2017 had the same design in it when we changed it out. The replacement has it too.
Here is a picture of the 2017 door lock partially disassembled.
I'm not sure if the 2014 uses the same lock but if it does this is something to be aware of.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170914_093200.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

The part that failed was the part the bent wire goes into. It is pot metal and on the Forrest river trailer the little part the wire rest in broke off.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #12

Thanks for the explanation and warning about the Bauer lock's deadbolt. We'll get the whole unit swapped out at the first opportunity. I'm guessing replacement would be cheaper than a repair, and more likely to work.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i haven't heard any issues with the 2017 trailers are the locks the same or better? i was nervous about the dead bolt on my 17 so i only used it from the inside.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The part that failed was the part the bent wire goes into. It is pot metal and on the Forrest river trailer the little part the wire rest in broke off.
Which brand of lock is shown with the wire piece? I think my Fastec lock has that piece, so I just wanted to be clear.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Which brand of lock is shown with the wire piece? I think my Fastec lock has that piece, so I just wanted to be clear.
It does not have any markings indicating who made it. Checking the website where I ordered the replacement it says the locks are made by Global Link which is a exact replacement for FIC 43610, Bauer and Tri-mark locks.
That is the same lock set Escape is using on the 2017. By exact it even uses the same pot metal parts in the lock. The originals and my replacement are from RV Locks and more.
http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksK...43610-2006-1PK
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The originals and my replacement are from RV Locks and more.
Global Link Entrance Lock Durable Black Powder Coat
Thanks for the link. On the site I saw the "900 Secure Series Locks". Does anyone know if these are higher quality than what we have now, or all they the same basic design? Out of force of habit I always use deadbolt locks and I'd prefer to do this with my trailer, but I'm dismayed by the prospect of a defective lock locking me out when I'm in the boonies. In that case I guess I could just hitch up and tow the trailer to the nearest locksmith, cursing all the way.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for the link. On the site I saw the "900 Secure Series Locks". Does anyone know if these are higher quality than what we have now, or all they the same basic design? Out of force of habit I always use deadbolt locks and I'd prefer to do this with my trailer, but I'm dismayed by the prospect of a defective lock locking me out when I'm in the boonies. In that case I guess I could just hitch up and tow the trailer to the nearest locksmith, cursing all the way.
They are the same door lock with a tumbler that is not sold to manufactures so it may not be as common. I bought one of those to replace my Escape supplied door lock. But my main reason was because we had problems with the original when we picked up the trailer in Chilliwack. The striker plate was backwards and it wore a groove in the latch which made it very difficult to open. I think the force I had to use to open it might make it fail someday on us. And figured while I'm at it might as well replace the hatch cam lock with the same keyset as the door. And make it a less common key set.
Here is a picture of the original lock set labels
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170914_185014.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Recall

How would you find out if your camper was one with a recall for the door latch? We just purchased a used 2014 21.
Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
How would you find out if your camper was one with a recall for the door latch? We just purchased a used 2014 21.
See Post #3 of this thread.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
See Post #3 of this thread.
Just an FYI...you have to read further than the first post by Reace in the thread that is linked in post #3. It isn’t just the key code to know you are good. You really need to check the lock operation too to confirm the key does not come out at the 9 o’clock position with deadbolt engaged.

Here is a direct link to the post with explanation:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post215763
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote