Replacement Plumbimg Vent Caps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Replacement Plumbimg Vent Caps

I was cleaning the roof and just slightly bumped the vent cap and it broke - brittle plastic on a 2012. Where can I find replacement caps to swap out without replacing the entire vent? (and probably having to drill new holes into the fiberglass because the new holes will not align with the existing).

Are there any replacements out there that are stainless or aluminum that will last much longer if I have to install completely new ones?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1887.JPG  
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here's what looks like an easy replacement. I remember this coming up on Fiberglass RV several years ago. There are probably other solutions, including a direct replacement, but this thing looks like it would do the job. Some folks give these caps a coat of silver for solar protection with a coat of white over the top to match again.
Replace-All Plumbing Vent Cap - Polar White - Camco 40034 - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
I was cleaning the roof and just slightly bumped the vent cap and it broke - brittle plastic on a 2012. Where can I find replacement caps to swap out without replacing the entire vent? (and probably having to drill new holes into the fiberglass because the new holes will not align with the existing).

Are there any replacements out there that are stainless or aluminum that will last much longer if I have to install completely new ones?
I bumped and broke two of my vent caps while washing the roof last fall before putting it away for the winter. Didn't take much of a bump at all to cause the damage. Seems to be a common item though, I just went down to a local rv shop and they had a selection of several different kinds of replacement vent caps to choose from. Didn't see any metal ones though.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Dale I would replace the entire vent assembly as the base will probably be as brittle as the cap.
If you paint the new one with Krylon Fusion plastic paint the sun won't break down the plastic and it will last longer. This is true for all the plastic items on the trailer, I have painted all of mine.
If you get the same kind the holes should line up.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Dale I would replace the entire vent assembly as the base will probably be as brittle as the cap.
Actually, I think you'll find that the cap is made from some really flimsy stuff that's very susceptible to UV failure. The base is much better material. It's up to the OP of course, but personally I'd go for just doing the caps until I really saw a problem with the the base portion. The less I have to deal with holes and sealant, the happier camper I am!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I plan to replace the stock vent cap with the 360 Siphon cap 2nd generation.

https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/videos
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I broke one when the ladder I was on wiggled. I grabbed for the first thing and it was like grabbing a soda biscuit. My RV store had a bunch of 'em. The cap just twists and turns to come off the base. Three buck fix. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Here's a metal one.
Vent Stack Vent Stack [318301] - - It's Free! : Stag-Parkway, RV Parts and Accessories
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 17
getting Sorry, the product was not found. on two different web browsers here
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I plan to replace the stock vent cap with the 360 Siphon cap 2nd generation.

https://360productsnorthamerica.com/site/videos
I'm planning to do that, too. I didn't find out about this cap until soon after I signed the build sheet. I would have asked if ETI could do the installation if I provided it to them.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
getting Sorry, the product was not found. on two different web browsers here
Me, too.
I assume that the intended vent is the one found by a search for 318301 (the product number in the page title), but both of the links for that product fail.

The search result page does have a photo - maybe someone recognizes it from that and is aware of another source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I'm planning to do that, too. I didn't find out about this cap until soon after I signed the build sheet. I would have asked if ETI could do the installation if I provided it to them.
When I asked if ETI would install the RV360 cap, the reponse is it would be an aftermarket install. I then asked if they could not install there vent cap and they stated they had to install their cap.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #13

To each his own, but I don't see what problem these caps are solving. Their video seems very compelling, but when driving down the highway, the toilet valve is closed and presumably the sink and shower drains are plugged (plus there are traps in the gray water drains). I don't see how these caps will draw anything out of the tanks, especially the blackwater one, without some means of air going back in. Can anyone here vouch for their performance? Maybe I'm overlooking a solution to a problem I didn't even know I had.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Parker, you probably don't have the problem these vent caps are designed to address - sewer gas entering the trailer. The curvature and flow through design means they create a bit of a vacuum as air passes through, which theoretically insures that sewer gas travels up and out instead of collecting in the tank, and potentially entering the trailer when the valve is either open or not completely closed. Personally I have never smelled any gases backing up into my Escape, so I see it (in this case) as a solution in search of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Parker, you probably don't have the problem these vent caps are designed to address - sewer gas entering the trailer. The curvature and flow through design means they create a bit of a vacuum as air passes through, which theoretically insures that sewer gas travels up and out instead of collecting in the tank, and potentially entering the trailer when the valve is either open or not completely closed. Personally I have never smelled any gases backing up into my Escape, so I see it (in this case) as a solution in search of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Exactly. If their primary focus is while under way, then as I mentioned, not much will flow out without replacement air coming into the system. If they're trying to solve a problem of venting sewer gas while connected to a stationary sewer line, the same applies unless maybe someone leaves their gray valve open, in which case the entire campground is venting through your trailer system. I may sound kermudgony (is that a word?) about this, but I've watched so many things like this discussed here, resulting in everyone feeling like they need one too. I've been done that road a few times myself. ☺
Old 05-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #16

One of the main reasons people change out stock vent cap is to replace broken or brittle cap. UV rays prematurely dry them out and send them to early grave. You can always paint them, but I would just as soon replace with more moden and UV resistant vent cap.

I had similar version on my Casita that looked like shark fin and rotated in the wind. Many people were always telling me how could it possible work. All I can tell you is I never had sewer gas inside my Casita.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #17

Yep, I had first hand experience with the original caps rotting out on our Casita as well. If you're happy with these new ones, that's great. I can certainly see the advantage in a motorhome where someone might be using the plumbing while rolling along. Seeing the conventional vent pressurized from the surrounding airflow sending fumes the wrong way is pretty convincing. I haven't noticed any issues with our current setup so I'll probably continue with the stock caps, but now I can no longer walk past other campers without checking their vent caps!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I ended using one of those $3 plastic caps with the metal prongs. It didn't fit very tight so I "glued" it on to the existing vent cap base with some white Proflex. So far after a couple of trips it appears to be securely fastened.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #19

(10001-C) Polar White Plumbing Vent' by Heng's
Replacement PLUMBING VENT Cap White rv camper trailer horse Heng's 10001-C

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-10001-C-Polar-White-Plumbing/dp/B00FFAUFMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499548774&sr=8-1&keywords=Heng's%2B10001-C&th=1

I would order 3 replace both originals and have a spare. 2 is one and one is none :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote