Replacing black vent vent cap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Replacing black vent vent cap

Hopefully later today or tomorrow we'll be able to replace the black tank vent cap with the "360 Siphon RV Vent Cap". I'm hoping this will help with the stinky odors I get in the bathroom after traveling. (It's been mentioned in other threads.) If this doesn't work, then a new toilet will be the next step.

Anyway, for those that have replaced theirs or have knowledge of what we're gonna be (hopefully!) doing - anything in particular we need to know? Any specific tools?

I thought I had something bookmarked on replacing it, but I can't find it either that way or through a search. Maybe someone knows has that thread bookmarked.

I did read on one thread how you can just twist off the old cap. Yeah, well, I tried that, but just don't have much strength so I didn't get anywhere with that method. And Dirk's at the hardware store right now so he can't try it.

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Never mind! Probably one of the easiest jobs we've done on the trailer! Finding the comment on twisting off the old cap really helped. Dirk had the umph to take it off and we put the new one on and used a chaulking sealer around the edges.

I'll have plenty of time in the near future to see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Never mind! Probably one of the easiest jobs we've done on the trailer! Finding the comment on twisting off the old cap really helped. Dirk had the umph to take it off and we put the new one on and used a chaulking sealer around the edges.

I'll have plenty of time in the near future to see if it makes a difference.
Laura what is the trick for getting that cap off ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Laura what is the trick for getting that cap off ? Pat
He twisted it off. It just needed someone with more strength than me.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did you take pictures?
Old 03-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
He twisted it off. It just needed someone with more strength than me.
Alright I 'll give it another shot . Maybe use the rubber grabbers to open jars . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Hey Laura, how did you do the replacement? Did you completely remove the old vent or just glue the 360 siphon on top of the old base?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Replacing black vent vent cap

Suggestions if the smell bothers you.

1) Does the toilet hold water in the bowl if so the seal is good and there should theoretically be no smell escaping.

2) With the bowl dry pour and ounce or two of mineral oil in and let it sit while travelling this should prevent any Oder from escaping from the black tank and lube the seal.

3) Don’t worry about it, when you get to where your going turn the bathroom fan on and close the door for a couple of minutes.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Remove the plug for the shower drain, check the gasket and be sure it is reinserted properly.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post

1) Does the toilet hold water in the bowl if so the seal is good and there should theoretically be no smell escaping.

2) With the bowl dry pour and ounce or two of mineral oil in and let it sit while travelling this should prevent any Oder from escaping from the black tank and lube the seal.

3) Don’t worry about it, when you get to where your going turn the bathroom fan on and close the door for a couple of minutes.
I read in the literature for an RV toilet that you need to leave a little water in the bowl to help make a good seal. Also try some vinegar in the bowl to clean out any calcium deposits from the hardness in your drinking water.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Hey Laura, how did you do the replacement? Did you completely remove the old vent or just glue the 360 siphon on top of the old base?
I know Laura did the replacement, but I believe she found out later that most of the odor was caused by the bath tiles/mat she had on the floor that had a scum underneath.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:

Although the path from bowl to tank is sealed tightly, there's still an air path through the flush mechanism that can let odors up from the black tank if something forces air through - either sealing the trailer up tightly while running the exhaust fan, or apparently driving down the road. I've been going with method 3 for now, but would love a real solution.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the black tank /should/ be ventilated on the roof, but those vent fumes can get sucked into the trailer if the breeze is going the wrong way..

for sure, extended flushing with the bathroom door+window closed and the bathroom fan running will suck tank stench up into the bathroom. solution, either shut off the fan while you flush, or crack the bathroom window
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We‘ve found a simple method to eliminate the post-travel stink. During travel seal all the windows and vents up tightly then run the maxxfan so it’s blowing into the trailer, creating positive pressure. This keeps the bounce-induced stink leak from permeating the trailer’s interior.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

All good suggestions Doug. With just a little water in the bowl we've never had an issue with odors after traveling. We do use Odorlos however and swear by it. Glenn mentioned it a couple of years ago and we've used it ever since with great results.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Shouldn’t the vent pipes be sealed at the roof penetration to prevent odors from flowing between the pipe and the roof cutout?
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I replaced the black vent on our 21C this year. I found that the vent hose had pulled away from the vent and was laying on top of the shower enclosure. At times, we had noticed a sewer smell. I'm sure this was the cause. I added an extension and secured it under the vent.