Replacing Butyl Tape with Foam Rubber Gasket on Back Window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Replacing Butyl Tape with Foam Rubber Gasket on Back Window

Here are the steps I took to replace the Butyl tape on our back window with a rubber gasket supplied by Escape.

Preparation:
  • Buy rubber gasket from Escape
  • Apply rubber gasket when temps are above 50F
Steps:
  • Remove back window. First remove the blind by removing the 2 lower triangle brackets that the blind strings are attached to. Leave the strings attached to the bracket. Pull the blind out toward you and look up at the blind headrail between the blind and window. You will see 2-3 clips that hold the blind in place. You will need to use a block or lever to pop these to release the headrail. Once the blind has been removed, remove all of the black screws in the inner trim ring around the window, and then remove the trim ring. Then, using a firm putty knife, start working your way around the outside flange of the window to break the seal between the fiberglass and window frame.
  • Remove all butyl tape. Place window on plastic sheet and clean off all butyl tape residue with a firm putty knife and paint thinner
  • Final cleaning. Clean with acetone, tape adhesion requires a very clean surface
  • Attach rubber gasket to window, 1/8" from the flange (see attached photo)
  • Apply pressure to rubber gasket with hand
  • Re-install window. Measure up from the belly band on the trailer to each side of the window to ensure it is installed level. When you install the screws, screw all of them in about 2/3. Then tighten them all.
  • Wait 72 hours to cure

Photo and help courtesy of Reace.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3766.jpg  
juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for posting this. It's handy for others to both know how to do it as well as know that Escape has a new gasket that you can purchase.

I take it the reason for replacement was a leak?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
or the messy black streaks.....
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I take it the reason for replacement was a leak?

Ron
Yes, we've been struggling with a leak for three years. Patching the butyl tape with Proflex worked for a short time, but the leak reappears as soon as the butyl tape starts eroding again. We were about to apply fresh butyl tape when Reace said he's now using the rubber gasket on all new trailers.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Thanks for the post. Any problem getting the interior vinyl wall covering to stay in place when removing and installing the window? Since you didn't mention it, probably not, but I've wondered about that.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Any problem getting the interior vinyl wall covering to stay in place when removing and installing the window?
Although the instructions were to remove the inner trim ring of the window, it was solidly in place, so we never removed it and it held the vinyl in place securely.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
ETI uses lots of spray adhesive to attach the reflectix and the vinyl. In other areas, where I've removed trim rings etc. the vinyl stayed in place.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Here are the steps I took to replace the Butyl tape on our back window with a rubber gasket supplied by Escape.

Preparation:
  • Buy rubber gasket from Escape
  • Apply rubber gasket when temps are above 50F
Steps:
  • Remove back window. First remove the blind by removing the 2 lower triangle brackets that the blind strings are attached to. Leave the strings attached to the bracket. Pull the blind out toward you and look up at the blind headrail between the blind and window. You will see 2-3 clips that hold the blind in place. You will need to use a block or lever to pop these to release the headrail. Once the blind has been removed, remove all of the black screws in the inner trim ring around the window, and then remove the trim ring. Then, using a firm putty knife, start working your way around the outside flange of the window to break the seal between the fiberglass and window frame.
  • Remove all butyl tape. Place window on plastic sheet and clean off all butyl tape residue with a firm putty knife and paint thinner
  • Final cleaning. Clean with acetone, tape adhesion requires a very clean surface
  • Attach rubber gasket to window, 1/8" from the flange (see attached photo)
  • Apply pressure to rubber gasket with hand
  • Re-install window. Measure up from the belly band on the trailer to each side of the window to ensure it is installed level. When you install the screws, screw all of them in about 2/3. Then tighten them all.
  • Wait 72 hours to cure

Photo and help courtesy of Reace.
So you don't need to use any butyl any longer ? There is just a rubber seal ? If so kind of like that . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17B
Thanks for posting this about replacing the window gasket. Our front passenger window seems to be leaking (only when we are driving in the rain it seems), and we were wondering about a solution. About how long did it take you to re and re the window?
Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, this is interesting news. This would eliminate the butyl bubbling up under the proflex they put over the window as well.
What was the cost for the seal from ETI.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
interesting thread: did I miss an email or notice from Escape about these gaskets? Do they fit all units (mine is a 2013 17'). After years of chasing the window leaks on our Boler, I was very pleased to have no leaks, but here I am reading that there have been issues for other Escape owners with leaks. Will these gaskets eliminate the ugly black streaking? How long does this gasket install take?
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
After years of chasing the window leaks on our Boler, I was very pleased to have no leaks, but here I am reading that there have been issues for other Escape owners with leaks.
I'm reading the same forum and there have been a couple posts about leaks in the eight years. The ones that I recall were to do with the front opening window which they stopped installing in 2009 when they couldn't get them any more.
I have a 2008 and I have no leaks. I'm not about to worry that I don't have leaks, or that I should have leaks.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Can rubber gaskets be used on the storage hatch doors too. I’m not good at caulking and the caulking gets so dirty.