Replacing Gas Line to Cooktop - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Putting a fitting inside the cabinet may not be to code, I don't know. There is a flare fitting at the stove, inside the cabinet, so I can't see that a union to extend the tube is any worse. I haven't had a problem with previous installations.
I agree with the logic. My Boler has shutoff valves for each appliance line in the interior (in cabinets), which functionally makes sense but adds two connections and a valve seal per line. I'm sure the intention is to minimize connections, and a union to avoid running a new line might not be justifiable.

Quote:
I found these "standards" and don't see a ban on internal joints. It does say they need to be accessible for future leak testing. The line to the stove should be accessible via pulling the drawers out.
That makes sense, but the linked page is just an outline - one would need to check NFPA 1192 (or a CSA equivalent in Canada), but you need to register for access, or buy it, or find it in a library.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I've cut the existing gas line inside the cabinet and plan to extend it. I'll put on a union flare fitting and extended the gas line long enough to reach the stove. I like flared fitting better than using ferruled compression fittings. I've had better luck with the flared.
This is no better than rumour, but I have often heard that compression fittings on copper are not "allowed" (by whatever code, presumably NFPA 54/ANSI. Z223.1 National Fuel Gas Code and some Canadian equivalent) for propane anyway. Compression fittings make more sense for more rigid tubing, rather than the soft copper stuff that you need to use to make the bends.

Quote:
I'm not sure what size the existing line is, I plan to take the cut off piece to the store and ask for that size tube and fittings.
The fittings I've encountered in RVs are 3/8", but certainly this check makes sense.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote