Replacing sail switch on 2015 Escape 21 furnace - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
So I just heard from Dometic. They say they can't proceed with the claim unless I give them the serial number. The shop that repaired it did not record this and ETI does not record them either. Tammy said that it shouldn't be necessary, but here we are. The furnace in the 2015 21 Escapes is installed in the drawer cabinet at the foot of the bed. Now that the furnace is reinstalled, can someone tell me where the serial number is recorded on this model AND is it possible to get something in there from the inside of the trailer to see it?

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't the repair facility find the serial number when they pull it to do the fix? When I had my fridge swapped out under warranty the tech took care of the call to Dometic verifying it was a warranty replacement.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #23

The repair facility isn't a Dometic service center and didn't record the serial number before putting the furnace back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Now that the furnace is reinstalled, can someone tell me where the serial number is recorded on this model AND is it possible to get something in there from the inside of the trailer to see it?
Bob: Let me preface that I don't have this furnace and have never worked on one but still trying to help provide some info. Based on the layout of the AFSAD12 the serial number is likely on one of the stickers that is on the blower housing (see pic). This is supported by the fact that Atwood has done this on some of their other models as well. Unfortunately, at least based on what I'm seeing, the furnace would need to be pulled to access this information.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #25

That's what I thought. I didn't expect the repair to be over $400 or I would have tried to find a Dometic service center. It was less than a month out of warranty, so now I am trying to see if they can cover some of the cost. It looks like they won't without the serial number and I don't want to pull it myself just to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Any chance it's on the list inside the closet, assuming they still post one there?
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Any chance it's on the list inside the closet, assuming they still post one there?
Unfortunately I think those equipment lists only have the make and model.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Ah, too bad.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not working for me. When I tried to load video for my mini-split mod the forum wouldn't take the video directly and play. I had to post to YouTube first and then provide the link.
Try pulling the drawer above the furnace and see if you can take pictures of the upper side - 50/50 chance the label is on that side. They didn't show on the video posted of the furnace disassembled.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Below is the link to the serial number location and how to access it on Atwood products. This should get you what you need to know.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/forms/Se...NoLocSheet.pdf
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Below is the link to the serial number location and how to access it on Atwood products. This should get you what you need to know.

Greg: I saw this document too, but it appears to be for the older Hydroflame furnaces. There is nothing specific to the AFSAD/AFSD model line to help Bob.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yep, it's the best thing they have there, Dave. Knowing how these companies work it is 90% likely the serial number location is still where they indicate, even though it is a newer model. If you remove the grill inside and it's not there, sounds like it will be on the rear of the unit.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Greg: I saw this document too, but it appears to be for the older Hydroflame furnaces. There is nothing specific to the AFSAD/AFSD model line to help Bob.
Although the AFS series furnaces are newer than this document, they are very similar to the Excalibur 8500 and 8900 series, and quite unlike the Everest Star 8012 found previously in Escapes (the Hydro-Flame name is applied to all Atwood furnaces).

Quote:
Knowing how these companies work it is 90% likely the serial number location is still where they indicate, even though it is a newer model. If you remove the grill inside and it's not there, sounds like it will be on the rear of the unit.
The "rear" seems much more likely to me, just like an Excalibur. These furnaces are normally installed with an exterior access door, so the blower end is readily accessible, and so in those cases that's the logical place for a label. With the alternative installation used by Escape, that location is well buried.

My Excalibur furnace has the label (with the serial number and lots of other detail) on the fan/motor housing, which is on the exterior end. It would not be visible from above or below.

Although Atwood seems uninterested in providing any information online for their current small furnaces, the installation manual is available online from other sources
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...l-Furnaces.pdf
https://www.manualslib.com/products/...1-6901367.html
At a quick glance, the manual doesn't appear to show the label location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We have heat!

A big thank you for those who blazed the way. Took a little over a hour to pull the furnace and replace the sail switch, put in spade connectors and reinstall. (Dish soap on the exhaust tube made it easy). Got lucky with the alignment and it slid right on first try, solo. Got my spare in the parts bin. No one carried the part locally, ten days backordered on Amazon. Thanks all, Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #35

Followup to Atwood furnace limit switch failure. So a week ago I finally got a cheque from Dometic for $225 Canadian, about $200 less than I paid to Tedco RV Service (Langley, B.C.) for the repair. The Tedco cost included a sail switch ($25) that he ordered in advance based on ETI's suggestion and installed at my request (not the problem though) and I was left the old one as a backup. I think the refund is reasonable, considering that the warranty had just expired and Tedco appears to charge a bit more for their work (owner told me he doesn't do warranty work because they don't cover his costs adequately).

Tedco ended up removing the external outlet and reinstalling and realigning it after putting the furnace back. I think in the future when I pull the furnace for maintenance I will try to align it from inside and use the tips others on this thread have offered (soap solution; someone to push from the outside to prevent the exhaust vent being pushed out).

Thanks to all for the help, including where to locate the serial number.

Bob K