Replacing sail switch on 2015 Escape 21 furnace - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Replacing sail switch on 2015 Escape 21 furnace

Looking for help with the Atwood AFSAD12 RV furnace: Our furnace stopped working the last day of camping. The symptom was the fan would come on and then just shut off at the point it should ignite. No click or anything. All other propane appliances work fine. While on the road we searched the forum for advice and thought it might be the sail switch. We stopped by ETI on the way home and they tried hooking up a new thermostat, but that didn't fix it. They suggested the next step would be to try a new sail switch. ETI doesn't stock these and our trailer is just out of warranty, so I was thinking of doing it myself. The 2015 Escape 21 furnace located next to the bed isn't as accessible as when it was in the dinette area. I'm told it is easy to replace the switch. Has anyone with the furnace in this location removed the furnace and put it back? How hard is it to do, especially lining it up with the outside exhaust port?

Thanks in advance,
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Bob the re and re is really easy, the hardest thing is exhaust tube alignment. But with 2 people and some patients it's possible, oh ya a little luck never hurts either.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I have the older 8012 model furnace, and replaced my sail switch earlier this year in my 19. A couple of comments which may or may not apply to your model:
- there is a red flashing diagnostic light on the circuit board - one flash indicated trouble with the fan or sail switch (air flow related). You might have that in your furnace.
- make sure you get the right replacement part number. I had the right number, but it still took 3 tries for the parts person to get the right one ordered in. Check a parts diagram and know your part number before calling the RV shops.
- There are some good forum threads to check, some with photos. I wouldn't have tried this myself without this information.
- You might get away with cleaning the sail switch and reusing the old one, if is just dirty. My old one still tests ok on my voltmeter, I kept it as a backup.
- Yes, the hardest part was getting the furnace slid back to its original position due to friction on the exhaust tube. I think I put some dish soap on the tube to help them slide together. Have a helper apply pressure on the outside of the trailer to avoid popping the rivets that hold the outside vent in place.

Good Luck!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I think I will attempt it myself.

Bob K
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
It is worth a try. If you are at home, ETI is only an hour away if you get stuck and can't reinstall on you own. I was on the road in California when I did mine.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I replaced the sail switch in the furnace in our 2013. Along the way, I learned about the trick (including from Tammy) of using a vacuum cleaner exhaust to try dislodging the dust ball that is likely hanging up the switch. That was the problem in ours, and I bet a blast of air right through the grill, would have taken care of it without the whole R&R event. I'd certainly give it a try first.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seem to remember this story then forgot. Will try to remember should we have a no heat event- thanks for posting.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Atwood AFSAD12 Furnace Fixed

So I finally have my furnace fixed. I’m glad I took it to an RV shop as it turned out to be the limit switch, not the sail switch. Because the furnace’s warranty had just expired (less than a month prior), I am hoping that Atwood/Dometic will give me some compensation for the repair, which cost about $400 Canadian.
I am submitting a request this next week and will know after about 6 weeks if they will give me any compensation.

I thought I would share some information that may help others with this model of furnace maintain it or replace the sail switch. I am posting a video of the furnace on the bench, showing the location of the sail switch and where to blow out debris that might interfere with the switch’s operation. In my case the switch was NOT the problem, but I had a new one installed anyhow and kept the old one as a backup.

The RV tech gave me the following information that could be useful:

* The wiring was long enough that the furnace can be pulled out of the cabinet for maintenance without cutting the wires.

* The cover needs to be removed to blow debris from the sail switch/blower area

* Two small screws hold the sail switch in place. The switch needs to be twisted a bit thereafter as you pull it out.

* To reinstall the furnace, the tech removed the external exhaust port, mounted the furnace in place and attached the gas fitting, then lined up the exhaust port to the furnace exhaust pipe. Apparently it was easier to align this way rather than from inside because the pipe takes a bend and it is hard to line up the furnace to the port. The reverse is much easier, but of course you have to reseal around the exhaust port.

* If you maintain the furnace before the pipes get rusty (every 2 years?) the exhaust pipe and port shouldn’t be hard to get back together. I gather from another post that soapy water can be used to slide them together, but if I think I might try using a Dremmel tool to remove any rust and make the fit easier.

One further point. In the Escape 21, the access to the reset switch for the furnace is through a small hatch you get at by removing the drawer above the furnace. Some units (like ours) built just after the furnace move, did not have that hatch. ETI cut a small hatch in the thin panel material under the drawer to give access to this switch. It did not resolve our problem, but it could in other cases where the reset is necessary.

Now we are anxious to use our trailer again! Love that Escape!
Old 07-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Very useful info Bob! Thanks for that.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #10

Video of furnace disassembled
Attached Files
Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Another attempt to load video.
Attached Files
Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Another attempt to load video.
Not working for me. When I tried to load video for my mini-split mod the forum wouldn't take the video directly and play. I had to post to YouTube first and then provide the link.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Works for me, using Firefox on MacBook Air. It's only 25 seconds long, which is a miracle on the web.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #14

Here is a link to the video on Youtube.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That last video worked. I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty on mine, that guarantees that it will not need fixing....
Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #16

How much was the extended warranty and which appliances did it cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #17

I just checked my in house records, only the refrigerator and a/c are covered for an additional 3 years, still looking for the Atwood stove and furnace info, maybe in the trailer.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I didn't get any correspondence about the WH or the furnace, just the fridge and A/C.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I didn't get any correspondence about the WH or the furnace, just the fridge and A/C.
I thought it was in the original paperwork, an option to extend? No correspondence, just mail in a check? I'll look tomorrow and post my findings.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #20

I just emailed Dometic the documentation and my request for out-of-warranty reimbursement. It was less than a month out of warranty when it died, darn! It will likely be several weeks before I get an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk