Replacing the screen in the classic screen door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Replacing the screen in the classic screen door

We suspect that one of our dogs tried to go through the screen door one day when we had it opened up to air out. And now we have a pretty big tear in the bottom left corner, which we currently have duct taped. So the screen is going to need to be replaced.

I was wondering if any one had replaced the screen on their classic. Is it an easy DIY project or best left to a pro? And does anyone know what brand of doors these are, because I’m not finding anything about them out on the web, but that’s probably because I don’t know what to search for
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check you trailer literature, should be a book on the screen door.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If it is the Seiki Vista Plus, the manual is in this forum's collection of files:
Downloads > Manuals > Vista Plus Screen Door

This manual is for installation, but may show you how it goes together well enough to be useful for screen replacement.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Thanks to you both, I never even thought of that, but that’s an obvious place to look
Old 09-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This is what you need:
SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts

I have replaced ours. It is tricky, but not impossible if you are patient and handy.
You have to completely disassemble and cut the new cartridge to match the existing frame height.

Read this to get an idea of what you are dealing with and the adjustments using the dials at the top and bottom: http://seikiscreensystems.com/produc...plus_right.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I recall ordering a new one was pretty straighforward and surprisingly inexpensive. I got a replacement just because I know it will break somewhere in my future, so I keep in the spare parts section on my shop.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I recall ordering a new one was pretty straighforward and surprisingly inexpensive. I got a replacement just because I know it will break somewhere in my future, so I keep in the spare parts section on my shop.
Wasn't long ago that the manufacturer was no longer going to make or had stopped making, the replacement screens. I ordered one so I'd have it. About a year late they changed there mind and started selling them again!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is what you need:

I have replaced ours. It is tricky, but not impossible if you are patient and handy.
You have to completely disassemble and cut the new cartridge to match the existing frame height.

Read this to get an idea of what you are dealing with and the adjustments using the dials at the top and bottom: http://seikiscreensystems.com/produc...plus_right.pdf
Thanks Rubicon!
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We've also had dogs rip ours as well as the kids. Replaced it once and also bought a spare. Last year we painted on some dragon fly stencils to make the seiki screen more visible.

We have a 2016 21' and found that the privacy curtain does a pretty good job of keeping bugs out even though it does not extend to the floor. I have though about ordering a custom bug "curtain" to replace the factory curtain and then just not messing with the screen door. The Seiki screen door just seems to lack the sturdiness of the traditional screen door provided on the new models.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #10

Well, last night, Fedex delivered our replacement screen, and of course, it's damaged. The roll of screening is about 6 feet long, and sometime during shipment, it got broken almost in the middle (the screen itself is OK, but whatever the screen us rolled up on is broken). Does anyone know how much of this roll would be enough to replace the screen in our camper? I'm wondering if we have enough un-damaged product, or if I need to send it back? Thanks
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Well, last night, Fedex delivered our replacement screen, and of course, it's damaged. The roll of screening is about 6 feet long, and sometime during shipment, it got broken almost in the middle (the screen itself is OK, but whatever the screen us rolled up on is broken). Does anyone know how much of this roll would be enough to replace the screen in our camper? I'm wondering if we have enough un-damaged product, or if I need to send it back? Thanks
The whole cartridge goes in as an assembly. The only thing you do is cut it to length with a hacksaw. Surprised it would break as it is made of aluminum. Can you roll the screen all the way off and get a better look at it? (It is attached to the cartridge so it won't just come off into your hand). If there is a break somehow in the middle unfortunately you'll need to send it back.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #12

The package was beat all to hell, and when I picked it up off the porch, it was obvious it was broken, as about half of it flopped around. Very frustrating, as it took two weeks to get it once I ordered.

Oh well, here's hoping their customer service is as good as ETI's has been for me thus far.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The package was beat all to hell, and when I picked it up off the porch, it was obvious it was broken, as about half of it flopped around. Very frustrating, as it took two weeks to get it once I ordered.

Oh well, here's hoping their customer service is as good as ETI's has been for me thus far.
FedEx is fast becoming my least favorite shipping company. Had two laptops I sent to Virginia for a special OS imaging that were supposed to simply be shipped back once completed. The shipper used FedEx to return them and after 5 failed attempts and two reships I received them, damaged, 3 1/2 weeks later. I've told my people to stop using FedEx altogether.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #14

Quote:

I’m pretty sure it is coming from Japan where Seiki is based. I was just glad I could order it online and get it direct without having to deal with a rep or supplier. I hope they quickly send a replacement for you.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
FedEx is fast becoming my least favorite shipping company. Had two laptops I sent to Virginia for a special OS imaging that were supposed to simply be shipped back once completed. The shipper used FedEx to return them and after 5 failed attempts and two reships I received them, damaged, 3 1/2 weeks later. I've told my people to stop using FedEx altogether.
Old news but unfortunately some of the handlers are throwing packages. I’ve had several things broken as well and the company doesn’t even want it shipped back. They just send another one. The problem is the cost of all this is just passed on to the consumers through higher prices.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #16

I just got this email from the folks at Seiki. This is the response I was hoping for, as I was afraid they would want the damaged one back.

Dear Greg

Thank you for your purchase. Please let us send you a new one.
We will have our warehouse contact you via email in a day or so. Please wait
for the message.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I have 5 yards of no-see-um screen and a classic roll up screen door. For those of you who have taken your's apart--does it seem possible to take out the cartridge, unroll it, replace the screen, and roll it back up?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why not attach a piece that covers the first 30" of the screen, perhaps by glue around the perimeter, gives you double protection in door area only.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I have 5 yards of no-see-um screen and a classic roll up screen door. For those of you who have taken your's apart--does it seem possible to take out the cartridge, unroll it, replace the screen, and roll it back up?
I think I am one of the few on the forum that have completely disassembled and installed a new cartridge. In my opinion if you are going to go through all the work you should just buy a cartridge. The screen is fixed to an aluminum pole on one end and it has a pronounced edge that slides into the frame on the latch side. Not that it couldn’t be done with your own screen, but it will be a hassle and I would hate to see you get it all back together and have binding or other issues.

My advice is to order one since you can still get it...improvise only if you need to
Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Agree with rubicon; easy replace with a new cartridge.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote