Replacing toilet flush valve !?!?!? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Jim never have had to use anti freeze . Guess I could get shorter line . They only had stainless , not nylon . The fitting will swivel if I need . Pat
Jim if you moved to proper thread , Thankyou . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Install one of these at your pump and it becomes real easy Robot Check
Old 04-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
nice job, just remember to drain or get antifreeze in the loop(last picture) you have created. Will ETI install one from factory?
We were told at the time no for our 19 . Not enough room . When someone tells me no , I still keep looking . My philosophy "where there is a will there is a way ". Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #44

Quote:
We were told at the time no for our 19 . Not enough room . When someone tells me no , I still keep looking . My philosophy "where there is a will there is a way ". Pat
For those that need the information. The fittings were slip - joint angle stop 1/2"flip inlet X 1/2" &7/16 of tube outlet .1/2" male adapter push X male . 1/2" flipx1/2 flip flexible water connector. Length depending on what you need . I have 16 in but I may change to shorter 12 in . Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Shark Bite connectors work on any water pipe, including PEX. I much prefer crimp connectors, cheaper, simpler, and less likely to leak. You do need to own, borrow, or rent a crimper though.
Bought a crimper tool when I re-did our (home) shower plumbing and quickly learned that you need to have plenty of room to open and close the jaws on a 90 degree angle to get a good seal. Kind of tight quarters under the dinette bench seat, don't you think?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #46

Quote:
More pictures of toilet shut off
Pat, what kind of fitting is the shut-off valve attached to (that goes into the sharkbite fitting)? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Bought a crimper tool when I re-did our shower plumbing and quickly learned that you need to have plenty of room to open and close the jaws on a 90 degree angle to get a good seal. Kind of tight quarters under the dinette bench seat, don't you think?
Rich I bought all my supplies at plumbing supply's that sells to public but sells mostly to contractors . They sell shark bites too. For these little jobs no need for crimper . I was assured I will have no problems with this setup . I also am glad I couldn't put in storage under dinette . If for any reason there is a leak it is in shower . Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Pat, what kind of fitting is the shut-off valve attached to (that goes into the sharkbite fitting)? Thanks!
I am copying from pouch it came in 1/2" Brass Push Fitting.
Male Adapter
Push X Male
One end is shark bite ,the other end is threaded . I wrapped 3 times with Teflon tape . After shark bite pushed on Plex , the threaded end ,screw on shut off . Make sure without damaging Plex it is smooth and clean . Mine cleaned up real nice ,with would you believe simple green golf cleaner and a rag . Screw on flexible water connector . Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Pat, good work. I'm surprised you don't seem to have same plumbing PEX lines as mine. If I had gotten back to you sooner I likely would have suggested pulling the toilet and replacing white PEX with a longer piece then adding a smaller nylon PEX valve on the other side. What you did looks better.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Bought a crimper tool when I re-did our (home) shower plumbing and quickly learned that you need to have plenty of room to open and close the jaws on a 90 degree angle to get a good seal. Kind of tight quarters under the dinette bench seat, don't you think?
We do all our work with PEX and crimpers, and some of it is in really tight places, relying either on creative connecting, or multiple crimper. I have three I use. A regular large handled 1/2" and 3/4" crimper that does the bulk of the work. A short handled 1/2" crimper that gets into tighter spaces. The third is a basically a small one very similar to the one in this photo.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Pat, good work. I'm surprised you don't seem to have same plumbing PEX lines as mine. If I had gotten back to you sooner I likely would have suggested pulling the toilet and replacing white PEX with a longer piece then adding a smaller nylon PEX valve on the other side. What you did looks better.
It's OK Myron they sure didn't leave me much to work with . Your idea would of worked too . I did have smaller nylon plex valve , I am returning . This way everything is in bath and if I need to remove Jon , just unscrew the flexible connector not having to remove other end from Jon , which you know is not fun . I just followed directions . It was the fix from the counter lady . Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You do good work, Pat. I'll be looking at mine next trip to storage.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

Just to clarify for prospective owners, that changed with the 2015 model and newer. They'll install one under the driver side dinette bench.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #54

Quote:
I am copying from pouch it came in 1/2" Brass Push Fitting.
Male Adapter
Push X Male
One end is shark bite ,the other end is threaded . I wrapped 3 times with Teflon tape . After shark bite pushed on Plex , the threaded end ,screw on shut off . Make sure without damaging Plex it is smooth and clean . Mine cleaned up real nice ,with would you believe simple green golf cleaner and a rag . Screw on flexible water connector . Pat
Another issue resolved Pat, thank you!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
You do good work, Pat. I'll be looking at mine next trip to storage.
Hey Gregg Thankyou ! If you are like me a little chrome makes the bath classy ! Pat
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #56

Quote:
Another issue resolved Pat, thank you!
Rich, I am glad there was something out there . Pat
Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
I had this same part fail on my 19'. FWIW, my 2014 model 19' has flexible line here, making the replacement much easier.

I believe there is some design flaw by Thetford here, I ran antifreeze through my system, had full pink fluid coming out of the toilet. The bottom fitting of the assembly had cracked. Perhaps water is trapped in the fitting and not easily cleared; I'm wondering if blowing out all the lines during winterizing might be a better solution.

Luckily, Amazon had the part and was able to get it to me within 2 days, as we needed it just before a trip.

Thetford Aqua Magic Toilet Assembly
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I had this same part fail on my 19'. FWIW, my 2014 model 19' has flexible line here, making the replacement much easier.

I believe there is some design flaw by Thetford here, I ran antifreeze through my system, had full pink fluid coming out of the toilet. The bottom fitting of the assembly had cracked. Perhaps water is trapped in the fitting and not easily cleared; I'm wondering if blowing out all the lines during winterizing might be a better solution.

Luckily, Amazon had the part and was able to get it to me within 2 days, as we needed it just before a trip.

Thetford Aqua Magic Toilet Assembly
Put the kit on my list for spare . Pat
Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #59

Trailer: 17
Dont know if this helps on our toilet but an amazon review mentions....When fitting the valve it helps to hold the toilet handle or foot lever in the flush position.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good price, I think I paid around $30 for it at RV parts store. I did find I was able to change mine on the 17b without removing the toilet. Took about 30 min. The 19 looks like it has even more room to be able to change it out without removing the toilet. Hope I don't find out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote