Replacing toilet flush valve !?!?!? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Replacing toilet flush valve !?!?!?

On our first trip of the season this year we discovered that we must not have gotten all the water out of our toilet flush valve for winter. When we turned on the water we had a gusher in the bathroom.
Luckily one of the first things we did when we got the 'new to us' Escape was to put in a cut off valve for the water supply to the toilet. So we just closed that valve and are still able to use the commode by manually adding water for the flush.

We ordered a new flush valve kit but we'll darned if we can figure out how to get the water supply line detached from the toilet so we can remove it. We read the manual and we can see what we need to do but there is NO room back there to work! We can barely get our fingers in enough to touch the connector let along turn it.
Are we missing something...anyone have any tricks that worked??

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,064
Uh-oh, Fran. And so close to the Moab rally. What a wake-up call... I'm going out to fill up our holding tanks today to check - see if I might have the same problem.
__________________

__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Uh-oh, Fran. And so close to the Moab rally. What a wake-up call... I'm going out to fill up our holding tanks today to check - see if I might have the same problem.

We discovered it when we took our rig to Silver City about 2 weeks ago. No problem keeping a jug of water in the bathroom. We learned our lesson about the toilet shut off valve in our previous Scamp and did it first thing when we brought our Escape home. Lifesaver.
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 235
Fran,
I understand it is a job for little hands. When bob had his fail he took it to an rv place, they removed the toilet. Hey, bring the valve along to Moab and we can use it as a how to class. All us know it alls standing around telling you guys how to fix it........what fun!
I just got everything up and running this week and everything worked. We are heading to Mesa Verde tomorrow then on to Moab Thursday. Trying to decide if I should just fill the water tank here or do it along the way as we will be dry in Mesa Verde.
Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Fran,
I understand it is a job for little hands. When bob had his fail he took it to an rv place, they removed the toilet. Hey, bring the valve along to Moab and we can use it as a how to class. All us know it alls standing around telling you guys how to fix it........what fun!
I just got everything up and running this week and everything worked. We are heading to Mesa Verde tomorrow then on to Moab Thursday. Trying to decide if I should just fill the water tank here or do it along the way as we will be dry in Mesa Verde.
Dave
Hey Dave,
Sure we'll bring the valve along...who knows. We'll be heading up to Bluff the night before and will fill up our water tank there before heading to Moab Thursday morning. Looking forward to meeting more NM Escapers!

See you then!
Fran
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
We would love to remove the toilet ...the repair would be easy....but we can't get the water line disconnected in order to do that....grrrrr.
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jrn56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 365
We took ours out for the first time this weekend also. We didn't have a gusher but we have water leaking at the base of the toilet. This happened once on our trip home from Chilliwack last fall but the problem went away after a couple days on the road. I have a call in to Reace but I know he is pretty busy right now. Could this be a bad flush valve too?

Thanks
__________________
John and Brenda
Cottage Grove, MN
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We would love to remove the toilet ...the repair would be easy....but we can't get the water line disconnected in order to do that....grrrrr.
I'd get the right size connector for the pipe size, more pipe, and a valve; then cut the supply line, install the valve, and a bit more pipe to reach the pot.

Much easier to deal with taking the toilet connection out when nothing is connected. Might need a new toilet connector, but I doubt it.
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
We took ours out for the first time this weekend also. We didn't have a gusher but we have water leaking at the base of the toilet. This happened once on our trip home from Chilliwack last fall but the problem went away after a couple days on the road. I have a call in to Reace but I know he is pretty busy right now. Could this be a bad flush valve too?

Thanks
Hard to tell....the flush valve is near the top back of the toilet but if it is a small leak it could drip down and maybe come out at the base... Maybe it is the seal (closet flange seal) that the toilet sits on to connect to the black water tank...it might dry out and leak until it absorbs some moisture....just guessing here.

If you talk to Reace ask him how to disconnect the water supply line from the valve in order to get the toilet out!!?!?!
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd get the right size connector for the pipe size, more pipe, and a valve; then cut the supply line, install the valve, and a bit more pipe to reach the pot.

Much easier to deal with taking the toilet connection out when nothing is connected. Might need a new toilet connector, but I doubt it.

It might come to that.....I have an extension tube for the toilet water supply on order just in case it could be useful....
Amazon.com: Thetford (28962) Waterline Exterior Kit: Automotive

(It says Waterline Exterior Kit but it should say 'Extension' ... Amazon typo)
__________________

__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.