Reset Breakaway switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #1

Reset Breakaway switch

I accidently pulled my breakaway cable while putting my trailer away. Do I simply put the pin back in the breakaway box to reset or is there something else I need to do? Feeling pretty stupid right about now. Thanks for any help. By the way, my Escape came with the Bargman Breakaway switch installed.
Oregon Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #2

Re: Reset Breakaway switch

I believe it's just a mechanical switch.. so just putting the pin back in should do it.. I've read in other forums that some people just take the pin out as a "theft deterrent", so the trailer can't be moved.. Something I wouldn't do, as I afraid that sometime it just wouldn't work again..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Or, you'd lose the pin!!!!!!!!!!!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I usually check the operation of my breakaway switch every so often, at least a couple times a year to make sure it operates the brakes. I would not pull the pin as a theft deterrent as it would put a constant draw on the battery, draining it down, and I imagine it would put lots of wear on the brake solenoids.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #5

Yep.. losing the Pin would definitely not be good.. I was just mentioning (as a theft thang') that it's not earth shattering to pull the pin out.. unless you're on life a support system..or playing with hand grenades.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

How are you fastening the breakaway switch cable? I have decided to use one of those link-screw deals (like for the safety chains) to fasten it to the hitch.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

I pull it through the "chain hole" on the hitch and hook it to the link on the chain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Reace showed me. First, you put a loop in the cable to the break-away switch ( put the cable through the loop a couple times ). That is so you can take up extra slack.
Then you pull the cotter pin that secures the hitch pin. You put the break-away cable loop through the loop in the cotter pin and the loop for the cable over the hitch pin and then re-attach the cotter pin to the hitch pin. I just disconnected mine or I'd take a picture. Hell, I will anyway, since I have to put the EQ away.

baglo
Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Pix:

The loop you make in the cable so you can take up slack.

Hooking it through the cotter pin and over the hitch pin.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
loop.jpg   hitchpin.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #10

"...some people just take the pin out as a "theft deterrent", so the trailer can't be moved..."

The way the safety switch is wired is one wire goes to the hot side of your trailer battery, the other wire goes to the blue wire going to the brakes. Pulling the pin makes the circuit between the two feeding power to the brakes. The above scenario should run your trailer battery down since now the brakes are sucking juice from the battery. Actually only the magnets are being activated and the brakes are not applied until the wheels turn. All a thief would have to do to defeat that system is to cut one of the wires. Anyway, it's not a good idea.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Most new brake contollers have warnings not to pull the break-away pin while the electrical plug is still hooked to the vehicle. Not sure what happens as I have not tried this....but you might want to make sure your controller is still functioning properly.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Reace:

The instruction for Tekonsha Prodigy says: " Disconnect trailer plug from the tow vehicle prior to testing a breakaway switch or you may destroy the Prodigy."

This sounds like a pretty good reason to disconnect.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #13

I've read the whole thread and I still don't understand how one tests the breakaway switch.

I was hoping to just depend on faith that it will work if it is ever required.

But, I gather, with the power from the tow vehicle to the trailer disconnected, I would then pull the pin and then what? How do I know if it's working or not? Do I have to try to tow the trailer and see if the wheels are locked?

And, if the trailer does come off the hitch and the breakaway switch puts the brakes on, what good will that do? A trailer with nobody steering it, with the wheels locked, careering towards the cliff. Maybe somebody can explain the testing procedure and the overall concept.

Cause, I don't get it.

baglo
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Glenn:

I found this explanation in the University of Tennessee link of this article http://www.title-3.com/BreakAway.htm

A typical electric breakaway controller has a sealed 12-volt gel cell battery and switch that are mounted on the trailer and wired into the brake circuit. The switch is connected to the towing vehicle by a small wire rope (the cable must be secured to the towing vehicle, not to the safety chain nor any part of the hitch ball or ball mount). If the hitch separates or fails, the cable pulls the “key” from the switch, allowing the contacts to close and 12 volts will be applied to the brakes. Adjust the length of the cable or lanyard from the key to the tow vehicle frame so that the brakes are applied before the safety chains break. Regulations do not state whether the brakes must apply before the safety chains break. However, if the brakes are applied and the safety chains hold, the emergency braking keeps the trailer directly behind the towing vehicle so you can stop under control. This also keeps the trailer from slamming into the rear of the tow vehicle, minimizing damage.

Should the safety chains fail before the brakes are applied (meaning your safety chains were not the right size or were improperly attached), the trailer ought to at least stop somewhere nearby, but it may collide with other vehicles before it stops.

Keep in mind that the safety chain must be of sufficient strength and properly attached to “maintain the attachment.”

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: bvansnell...Thanks for the theory lesson. What I know for fact is on our first day out with our 5.0 and during a particulary crude angle of reversing into a campsite the rig stopped. My wife is yelling encouragements from somewhere just off mirror view...but the rig won't budge!!! I get out to see if I'm up against a tree or stump when I notice a plastic pin attached to a wire in the truck box By the light of the setting sun I uncoiled some more wire and plugged the pin back in!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
1st night out!!!.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #16

Glenn, what I do is to disconnect the plug to the tow, pull the pin and then try to drive slowly. The brakes should be locked up, and if not it is a definite indication of adjustment needed.

The idea (as I see it) is to stop the trailer as quick as possible should it ever come disconnected from the tow vehicle to lessen the chances of it causing an accident with another vehicle, and minimize the damage done to the trailer.