Restoring gelcoat to a brand new shine? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Restoring gelcoat to a brand new shine?

My 17 foot Escape has about 200,000 kms on it and is looking old and scruffy. I have tried waxing with minimal results. I have spoken to Escape who tell me that gelcoat is part of the original manufacturing process and can't be sprayed on afterwards. Does anyone know how I can restore the original shine? Is it a do-it-yourself project, or should I go to a professional, and if so who do I go to?
__________________

rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb5511 View Post
My 17 foot Escape has about 200,000 kms on it and is looking old and scruffy. I have tried waxing with minimal results. I have spoken to Escape who tell me that gelcoat is part of the original manufacturing process and can't be sprayed on afterwards. Does anyone know how I can restore the original shine? Is it a do-it-yourself project, or should I go to a professional, and if so who do I go to?
Gelcoat can be sprayed on afterwards, but I would not recommend this as it is cost prohibitive and takes a ton of prep work -- like refinishing a car. There are a number of products designed to restore the gelcoat gloss and remove oxidation. Here's a good one:

Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration System, boat restoration kit, boat polishing kit, meguiars boat polishes
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Gelcoat can be sprayed on afterwards, but I would not recommend this as it is cost prohibitive and takes a ton of prep work -- like refinishing a car. There are a number of products designed to restore the gelcoat gloss and remove oxidation. Here's a good one:

Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration System, boat restoration kit, boat polishing kit, meguiars boat polishes
Thanks. I appreciate this. Is waxing and refinishing temperature sensitive --- can it be done in really cold Canadian temperatures or should I do it in California?
rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb5511 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate this. Is waxing and refinishing temperature sensitive --- can it be done in really cold Canadian temperatures or should I do it in California?
I would highly recommend doing it in Texas instead, maybe at Robert's place.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,955
That Meguiars sounds like it will do a fine job, but also sounds like a lot of work.

You could try 303 Aerospace Protectant and see if it makes it shiny enough for you. But it will not give you a like new high gloss finish - (although I have read about using it in combination with a buffer to get more shine restoration.)
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would highly recommend doing it in Texas instead, maybe at Robert's place.
Sure, c'mon down! Labor is not included though.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,282
I've seen pros restore really dull and oxidized boat hulls to a mirror finish but I doubt an owner would have the time and patience to do that much work.

The alternative is paint. But that's a pretty subjective decision. I can say that any boat owner that has ever had their boat sprayed loves the ease of care and wouldn't willing go back to gelcoat.

At the Moab meet there was an old Uhaul that had been painted. Looked like a million dollars.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've seen pros restore really dull and oxidized boat hulls to a mirror finish but I doubt an owner would have the time and patience to do that much work.

The alternative is paint. But that's a pretty subjective decision. I can say that any boat owner that has ever had their boat sprayed loves the ease of care and wouldn't willing go back to gelcoat.

At the Moab meet there was an old Uhaul that had been painted. Looked like a million dollars.

Ron
I dunno. Painting is expensive, and the thing about fiberglass trailers is they tend to flex a little. I've seen fiberglass that was painted with the wrong coating have a tendency to crack. Restoring the gelcoat on fiberglass is a ton of work to be sure, but with a dual-action rotary polisher it can be restored in a day. Once completed, the regular maintenance with 303 or a good wax will prevent it from happening again. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and it does a fine job polishing my vehicles. For around $150 and some 'work' he could have it looking like new.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,036
I wouldn't paint a gelcoated trailer while the gelcoat is still serviceable - if nothing else, there's probably no going back. On the other hand, my motorhome has paint (factory-applied over the same gelcoated fiberglass that serves as the final finish without the paint option), and it is certainly easier to maintain than gelcoat. It is a big decision to go with paint, and a big surface to paint.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Posts: 1,869
Lot of people have had success regaining the shine on their oxidized gelcoat fiberglass RV's by using a floor finishing product. Grab a BIG cup of coffee and check out this thread: Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. - Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
2013-19' & 2013-15B {avg is two 17's}, towed by 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.