Retraction guide for power awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Location: Carleton Place from Owen Sound from Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: 2017 19'
Retraction guide for power awning

One of the retraction guides to the power awning fell off. Luckily, I saw it at the campground and retrieved it. When I checked, the two guides are held on by silicon rather than screwed in...good idea as if they were screwed in and they hit something there would be fibreglass damage.

I am looking for ideas on how to remove the old stuff and what the best choice is for reattaching the guide.

Second question, where can I buy extra guides?
https://flic.kr/p/2hgjKej
https://flic.kr/p/2hgjKdc
https://flic.kr/p/2hgh7Zv

Thanks,
Pierre
LP On The Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Funny you mentioned that, when adjusting my awning I notice some looseness in the guide rails. I believe these are proprietary to Escape and made there in Chilliwack. Try Dustin or Dave in parts....I'm not sure to wait until mine falls off or remove and reglue now....?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

I have an open package of J-B Weld and it mentions marine use/fiberglass....but that may make it permanent and possible gel coat damage? Maybe something that gives without damage to the surface? What do others think?
Attached Thumbnails
e8dd547e-28ed-4e0a-9e13-49309bf53fb5_1.119ef0f170e46fe97d152a91f307af14.jpeg  
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have an open package of J-B Weld and it mentions marine use/fiberglass....but that may make it permanent and possible gel coat damage? Maybe something that gives without damage to the surface? What do others think?

I’d opt for a permanent adhesive - epoxy, JB Weld, 3M 5200, etc.

I seem to remember Reace posting a video some time back showing how they glue those little guides on with just a dab of silicone. Explains why they might fail after a few years.

Video was to show do-it-yourself owners how to replace the short guides they were using initially on the electric awnings with longer guides, as a few people had problems with the short guides. Reace just gave a hard twist with his hand to remove the short guides.

As I said, if I do it, I’ll use something permanent to glue one back on. Fire and forget.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I don't know if JB Weld would be permanent on fiberglass but I can assure you that 3M 5200 is.

I can't think of a reason that the tab would need to be removed but there was one, I wouldn't use 3M 5200 - you could lift the trailer with a tab attached with it.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #6

Thanks I will try that.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

I talked with Dave at Escape and the original adhesive is something like this which I used to reattach mine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

My concern is little scrapes on trees when driving in areas that are very tight and if the guide is solidly attached, then there would be fiberglass damage if it get hung up.
I was unable to find the video for the replacement so if anyone has...please direct me. At the moment I think RTV silicon sealant.
I used soft wood to clean up the old stuff and all that is left is a smudge. Will GooGone clean that up without damaging the fiberglass finish?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP On The Move View Post
My concern is little scrapes on trees when driving in areas that are very tight and if the guide is solidly attached, then there would be fiberglass damage if it get hung up.
I was unable to find the video for the replacement so if anyone has...please direct me. At the moment I think RTV silicon sealant.
I used soft wood to clean up the old stuff and all that is left is a smudge. Will GooGone clean that up without damaging the fiberglass finish?

Goo Gone leaves an oily residue itself. Try acetone to prep for a good bond. It’ll take off everything, including wax, but won’t hurt your gel coat.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

BTW my 2016 awning never hit these guides and I think the constant hitting by the awning is causing them to become loose. I questioned Dave at Escape about this issue and why my 2016 went staring out whereas the 2019 has a slope, this the guide hitting issue. He said that Escape now slopes the awning 5 degrees for the water draining issue and sent me the .pdf file which was uploaded here on adjusting the slope. Seems very complicated procedure so I'm leaving it alone. If it continues I'll adjust mine back to -0- slope. I never had an issue with the rain with my 2016 and do not for see one now.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #11

LP on the move,
Check the first post here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...day-16324.html

Tags
dometic awning guide