Return to B.C. after Sumas pickup without plates. Is this a problem? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19'
Return to B.C. after Sumas pickup without plates. Is this a problem?

My trailer registration and plates would be in Colorado after a May pickup date. How can I avoid driving all the way back to Colorado? I would like to attend the rally in B.C. towards the end of May.

Clark
Biketown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just turn around and recross border and continue over to Osoyoos. Just make sure you have insurance in place on the trailer. Many people have done the same in the past, some have taken weeks to return to their home state, all without plates and all without any issues. We intend to do the same on 5/21 pickup day.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Plates

Maybe it would be wise to ask someone in the department of motor vehicles there in the Denver area.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
Recently registered our Escape in CO. Assuming the rules are the same statewide, and I can't imagine why they would not be, here is what you will need to bring with you when you register:
Original signed Bill-of-Sale.
NAFTA Manufactures Certificate of Origin. Customs Form 434.
CBP Form 7501 Entry Summary. stamped by US Customs.
Form 5106 Importer ID
HS7 US DOT Declaration-Importation of Motor Vehicle.

These forms will be provided to you by ETI and signed/stamped as part of the border crossing of the trailer at Sumas. As a group, they will clearly show that you are the owner of the trailer.

Since you have a Certificate of Origin, you will not need the VIN inspection prior to registration. Proof of insurance is not required because it's a non-motorized vehicle and insurance is not required on non-motorized vehicles in CO.

The Bill-of-Sale will be in CND. The 'total' figure in CND, will then be converted to USD at the rate in effect on the day you register the trailer.

One last thing. Leave your small checkbook at home. You won't be needing it. 😩

Our 21' cost $3,770.65 to register.

Enjoy your new Escape.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
One last thing. Leave your small checkbook at home. You won't be needing it. 😩

Our 21' cost $3,770.65 to register.

Enjoy your new Escape.

Ed
Ouch!
We just registered our new 5.0 TA purchase price $36,000 in Ouray County Colorado in January and it was $1,908
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, well in California you can add another grand. CO no doubt will catch up.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I had a huge hassle registering in Calif. I traveled back from the rally, camped a week at the beach here in June, left mid July for Acadia Natl Park in Maine. My plates came in the mail in Maine at the end of August. I wasn't stopped once for registration. (I did have some dmv paperwork and a sticker in the glove box, as well as carrying all the eti paperwork, but never needed it)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Colorado Registration Requires CO VIN Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

Since you have a Certificate of Origin, you will not need the VIN inspection prior to registration.

Ed
This was not our experience last year at the office in Cortez, Colorado (Montezuma County). We had all of the other documents, but they were insistent that the VIN inspection had to occur in CO before registration. They were (eventually) willing to issue a 30 day (from issuance only) temp tag. We went back into BC, Alberta, etc., but I think we would have been fine with no tag at all on the long return trip. Our temp tag expired in MT and I removed it.

More details at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-co-13163.html
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
This was not our experience last year at the office in Cortez, Colorado (Montezuma County). We had all of the other documents, but they were insistent that the VIN inspection had to occur in CO before registration. They were (eventually) willing to issue a 30 day (from issuance only) temp tag. We went back into BC, Alberta, etc., but I think we would have been fine with no tag at all on the long return trip. Our temp tag expired in MT and I removed it.

More details at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-co-13163.html
Interesting. I have an e-mail from the head of our Boulder County DMV office specifically saying that I didn't need a VIN inspection and I didn't.
Seems the rules may vary somewhat from office to office.

Whatever.

Ed
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Ouray County didn't require a VIN inspection either. There is a lot that is left up to the discretion of the County Clerk or DMV office in CO. Our Clerk for instance won't issue temporary registration for any reason ever but in San Miguel county they will give you a temporary registration for up to 90 days no questions asked.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Ouray County didn't require a VIN inspection either. There is a lot that is left up to the discretion of the County Clerk or DMV office in CO. Our Clerk for instance won't issue temporary registration for any reason ever but in San Miguel county they will give you a temporary registration for up to 90 days no questions asked.
No temporary permits in Boulder County either.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just turn around and recross border and continue over to Osoyoos. Just make sure you have insurance in place on the trailer. Many people have done the same in the past, some have taken weeks to return to their home state, all without plates and all without any issues. We intend to do the same on 5/21 pickup day.
This is almost exactly what we did when we picked up our trailer in the spring of 2017. It was impossible to register a new trailer until we returned home to Texas. We traveled for 5 months around BC and the western US without any problems. We were questioned once about the missing license plate when we crossed into the US from BC. The Escape paperwork satisfied him. He didn't care that it wasn't registered, he just wanted to verify that it was legally imported into the US.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Colorado Registration success!

We successfully registered our new Escape today at a Denver DMV, even though we don't pick it up for a bit longer.
We took the ETI packet and our proof of insurance with us. The only brief hang-up was that they wanted something official from the dealer stating the estimated cost in USD. I called ETI and Meagan sent an email with the pdf letter attached stating the estimated USD cost. Meagan (and ETI) score again with exceptional customer support. In and out in an hour and now we don't have to stand in the endless DMV line during the busy summer season.

Any other CO folks doing the same might pre-empt the need to call by requesting this letter in advance.

It feels great to be official.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #14

Trailer: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I had a huge hassle registering in Calif. I traveled back from the rally, camped a week at the beach here in June, left mid July for Acadia Natl Park in Maine. My plates came in the mail in Maine at the end of August. I wasn't stopped once for registration. (I did have some dmv paperwork and a sticker in the glove box, as well as carrying all the eti paperwork, but never needed it)
We will be picking up our new 19' in May heading back to Santa Cruz, Ca. - where did you register yours in Ca that was a huge hassle?
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote