Reverse Polarity Issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Reverse Polarity Issue

Well, our 19' has been home for nearly a month and I have not had occasion to use it on AC power since we left the factory. At the factory the Escape crew had it plugged into power and i expected everything to be fine. However, plugged it into a receptacle in my garage today and the surge protector / EMS will not power up the trailer and gives an E1 (reverse polarity) error. I checked the outlet in the garage with a circuit tester and it says the outlet is wired correctly and the polarity is ok. I will call Escape on Tuesday to see what they suggest but until then i will be open to your suggestions.

Regards
Dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Try using a 110V with out a GFI or serge proctor.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Try using a 110V with out a GFI or serge proctor.
Not sure that this can be readily done as the ems /surge protector is hard wired into the Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I believe Devil Dog is suggesting plugging the trailer into a house receptacle that is not GFCI protected, although I have plugged my trailer protected by the same EMS device Escape uses into a GFCI receptacle without problems.

If you are using one of these, I'd try a different adapter. The inexpensive "cube" type often have connection problems - you might have better luck with one of these. In any case, I'd bet it is the adapter.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The EMS should have a bypass switch on the unit that will allow unprotected a/c to flow. I had to do that with a generator as all portable generators will have "open ground error" due to the unit not being grounded.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I believe Devil Dog is suggesting plugging the trailer into a house receptacle that is not GFCI protected, although I have plugged my trailer protected by the same EMS device Escape uses into a GFCI receptacle without problems.

If you are using one of these, I'd try a different adapter. The inexpensive "cube" type often have connection problems - you might have better luck with one of these. In any case, I'd bet it is the adapter.
Thanks J, the adapter we have looks similar to the one you say may have problems. Will look for a new adapter as a first step and see how that works out.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

You're a genius Jon! I picked up an adapter very similar in appearance to the one you suggested and the reverse polarity fault on the surge protector has changed to "normal" operation.

Thanks
Dave

Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Ah, Shucks! Actually, no genius, just reading many blog & forum postings describing the problem & the solutions.

Good luck with everything else.