Review of my new 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Review of my new 17B

I picked up my new 17B on September 8th and have a few minor issues to report
1. The build sheet offered a Rhino sewer hose and on that basis I gave my old Rhino to the purchaser of my Bigfoot. What Escape provided instead was a Dominator hose, inferior in my opinion. The worst part is the one piece elbow attachment which will not fit in the storage tube and so must be stored in the front bin. Not only is that a major inconvenience, but it risks contamination where it should be avoided. The first time I found a CampingWorld I replaced it with the smaller, two piece Rhino elbow, which does fit in the sewer storage tube. Not expensive, but I really shouldn't have had to.
2. In my opinion, the best RV awnings ever are the A&E manual awnings standard on Bigfoots and older Escapes. They are extremely sturdy, plus with legs that can be anchored to the ground you can enclose them with available side panels for both privacy and wind and rain protection. When I found the new Escapes have an electric awning with no legs I decided to choose the manual Carefree awning, which is flimsy by comparison, but does have legs that can be used to create an enclosure. I already have two problems with the Carefree. First the cheesy, plastic levers on the legs have both broken off. Escape had Carefree send replacements, but a special tool is needed for the job that I don't have, Second, the awning has three guides which are supposed to guide it into its storage enclosure. But one of them is angled wrong and prevents complete closing without a lot of extra manipulation.
3. There is a leak in one of the PEX connections to the water supply lines under the kitchen sink. I don't have the PEX crimping tool, so till I figure out a permanent solution, I have a towel in place to absorb the drip.
Another disappointment is in the tilt windows. I really favour tilt windows but I'm very disappointed in how limited the openings are. I see no reason for that. It's just a matter of a block that prevents them opening as far as they should for better ventilation. The tilt windows on my previous Parkliner were far superior.

Still, there's a lot to like about my Escape and I don't regret my decision.
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
2. In my opinion, the best RV awnings ever are the A&E manual awnings standard on Bigfoots and older Escapes. They are extremely sturdy, plus with legs that can be anchored to the ground you can enclose them with available side panels for both privacy and wind and rain protection. When I found the new Escapes have an electric awning with no legs I decided to choose the manual Carefree awning, which is flimsy by comparison, but does have legs that can be used to create an enclosure.
Walt: I could be wrong, but I don't think Escapes ever came with an A&E awning. They are similar in design, but the older trailers all have the Carefree Fiesta as far as I know. These are great awnings and still made. I know it is a new trailer and the new mold has a recess in the shell, but maybe with some creativity a retrofit would be possible? Best of luck with your new trailer.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I picked up my new 17B on September 8th and have a few minor issues to report
1. The build sheet offered a Rhino sewer hose and on that basis I gave my old Rhino to the purchaser of my Bigfoot. What Escape provided instead was a Dominator hose, inferior in my opinion. The worst part is the one piece elbow attachment which will not fit in the storage tube and so must be stored in the front bin. Not only is that a major inconvenience, but it risks contamination where it should be avoided. The first time I found a CampingWorld I replaced it with the smaller, two piece Rhino elbow, which does fit in the sewer storage tube. Not expensive, but I really shouldn't have had to.
2. In my opinion, the best RV awnings ever are the A&E manual awnings standard on Bigfoots and older Escapes. They are extremely sturdy, plus with legs that can be anchored to the ground you can enclose them with available side panels for both privacy and wind and rain protection. When I found the new Escapes have an electric awning with no legs I decided to choose the manual Carefree awning, which is flimsy by comparison, but does have legs that can be used to create an enclosure. I already have two problems with the Carefree. First the cheesy, plastic levers on the legs have both broken off. Escape had Carefree send replacements, but a special tool is needed for the job that I don't have, Second, the awning has three guides which are supposed to guide it into its storage enclosure. But one of them is angled wrong and prevents complete closing without a lot of extra manipulation.
3. There is a leak in one of the PEX connections to the water supply lines under the kitchen sink. I don't have the PEX crimping tool, so till I figure out a permanent solution, I have a towel in place to absorb the drip.
Another disappointment is in the tilt windows. I really favour tilt windows but I'm very disappointed in how limited the openings are. I see no reason for that. It's just a matter of a block that prevents them opening as far as they should for better ventilation. The tilt windows on my previous Parkliner were far superior.

I have a couple of Rhino hoses and agree that they are well made and work well with the Escape trailers.

I too favor the older manually operated awnings with side arms. Not sure what I would do if I ever moved on to a new Escape 5.0TA.

Maybe you or someone else on the forum will be able to come up with a modification that allows the awning windows to open further.

It is unfortunate that you have a plumbing leak. However, Pex is super easy to work with. Many of the local building supply places (Lowes, Home Depot) will rent Pex crimping tools for about $10/day. Should be a simple matter for you to fix your leak.

Glad you love your Escape. Once these few initial wrinkles are ironed out, you will be able to enjoy it much more.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another vote for Escape to use the Rhino brand hose. As Walt stated, the Rhino hose fits in the round storage pipe supplied by Escape; the Dominator hose they supply (as an option) does not. I did the same & purchased a Rhino hose at the first opportunity.

I also had a small leak under the sink, but mine was fixed by tightening the hot water faucet fitting.

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased with my new 21!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 2008 has Carefree Fiesta awning.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
There are consumer fittings for Pex- they don't require any special tools. Same tubing, just sub in a different fitting. I used ones called SharkBite. Easy to use.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought it meant that the sewer hose holder would hold a Rhino hose, not that a Rhino hose was included. These hoses are expensive and mine fits with the elbow inside and I latch the doors on the holder.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought it meant that the sewer hose holder would hold a Rhino hose, not that a Rhino hose was included. These hoses are expensive and mine fits with the elbow inside and I latch the doors on the holder.
Under "Accessories", Escape lists "Deluxe Sewer Tube Kit" for $50.00. While the current photo is of a Dominator hose, I could have sworn that when I ordered my trailer, it was listed as a Rhino hose. In any case, if you plan to use the Dominator hose, you will have to find a different location for the right angle fitting - it will not fit in the storage tube supplied with the trailer.

The Rhino house uses a different design for the right angle fitting, and when removed from the hose, fits (with the hose) in the standard storage tube.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I bought Ten Forward, all it said was "20’ Sewer Hose & Storage Compartment." I bought the Rhino at Wal-Mart and the brand new blue hose (and fittings) will go to the next owner of my Scamp.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I bought Ten Forward, all it said was "20’ Sewer Hose & Storage Compartment." I bought the Rhino at Wal-Mart and the brand new blue hose (and fittings) will go to the next owner of my Scamp.
I just checked my build sheet: "Rhino Sewer Tube Kit" $80.00...

Again, I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little), just want to warn those considering ordering the accessory hose that it won't all fit.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Funny story. Shortly after buying my Escape I purchased a Rhino hose and accessories and was very happy with it. About a year later I must have forgotten to latch the sewer hose storage pipe door before leaving the dump station, and lost my Rhino hose somewhere travelling down the highway. Stopped at a Canadian Tire store the next day and picked up another Rhino hose. They are not cheap! Was a really good lesson in checking to see that the sewer hose storage pipe latch is secure before leaving a campground!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
LOL, I just did the same thing. Bought a new Rhino setup for the Escape (Awesome sewer hose that fits totally in the tube, if one can get excited about that) and moved the one that came with the Escape to my project Scamp.
I even put the baggie of disposable gloves in the sewer tube so all the sewer items are now contained totally in the tube and no longer in a box in the back of the truck.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Care to share these to complete the full review?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
For what it's worth, my 2014 19' has a CareFree awning. Works great.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I actually like the Dominator hose. We are almost never in a full hookup sitess, so the angle piece is just stored away for the very infrequent times we need it and the hose itself fits easily in our tube.

As Jim said above, I'd love to also know if there is anything you like about your new Escape as part of your review.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
For what it's worth, my 2014 19' has a CareFree awning. Works great.

Chuck
Yes, but it is the Carefree Fiesta. The new molds (which Walt has) use the Carefree Freedom WM awning. They are the same manufacturer, but the Freedom WM does not appear to be anywhere near as strong and well made as the Fiesta. Haven’t used the new one personally, but the support legs look pretty skimpy.

Old awning:
www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/fiesta.html

New manual awning:
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pr...all-mount.html
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote