RMD 8555 fridge will not come on - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Don't worry go camping...
Other than having to learn the idiosyncrasies of each fridge in my trailers, I've never had one that didn't work well enough to store food. Sometimes you get an appliance that quits working even in your home, but given the numbers of the ones that work it is a small percentage.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Probably because you haven't owned any of them long enough for a problem to develop, Jim.
But, I concur that if it is working when you pick it up, don't worry about it. If something does happen, go to the nearest Walmart (they're everywhere) and buy a cooler and some ice.
Hi: C&G in FL... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Also, people are unlikely to post that their fridge works.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Mine was three years old when it had some issues easy fix and working great
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Ok, You guys are scaring me. We pick up our trailer in a few weeks and planning on spending a month to get it back home inculding several boondocking national parks. Now what if our refrig goes out? Walter and I have quite a few talents but none of it involves meters, amps, volts, watts or fuses. I can see us way up in the mountains somewhere with all our food going bad. No Dometic repair shop next door. Should have taken an electrical course at the Vo Tech I guess. Why are these refrigs so unpredictable?
My intention was not to scare you too a point that you were afraid to leave Chilliwack . You spent good money on a nice trailer so now go out and enjoy it. If we should ever meet , I will gladly show you how to use a meter if you agree to show me how to quilt.
I'm a slow learner so it may not be a fair swap.
The last thing I want to do is ruin your maiden voyage by you worrying over something that isn't going to happen.

Best Wishes
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just so happens an Extended Warranty (EW) offer just came in today from Dometic, coming up on 2 years since I got the RMD8555 installed. I imaging if there was an item that warranted an EW it's these crappy fridges. What do you folks think, would you shell out $149 for another 2 years?
I had a seven-year aftermarket warranty on our motorhome, so I didn't take this Dometic offer before, but the motorhome warranty is just running out. I will be buying the Dometic warranty on the latest cooling unit replacement, because our DM2852 (not the 8000 series; the series in new Escapes) has proven to be unreliable and expensive.

I don't normally buy extended warranties, but there is so much expensive stuff in an RV that doesn't last with heavy use, that in my case it made sense. Fortunately, a travel trailer tends to be somewhat less complex than a motorhome.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Why are these refrigs so unpredictable?
The cooling circuit (plumbing) in any absorption refrigerator (Dometic or otherwise) is inherently more complex and more prone to problems than the cooling circuit in a compressor-based refrigerator (like the one in your house). Most RV refrigerators are only used for a few weeks per year, so they don't need to meet the durability standards of home appliances.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Just got a call this evening from Tammy who was following up on my fridge problem. What awesome customer service and an awesome product to boot. Thank you Tammy/Reace.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote