RMD8555 12v not working - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
RMD8555 12v not working

We just returned from our first trip since we had the new fridge installed last fall. We normally don't use 12v, but we sometimes do when towing. When we had the fridge installed I tested it on 120v and on propane, but for whatever reason never tested it on 12v. Of course, that's what doesn't work...

Looking at the back of the fridge, it looks like the shop that did the installation simply didn't hook up the 12v to the heating element connection. There's a terminal block that's clearly labeled with spots for 12v control board, and 12v heating element. The wires coming in are hooked up to the control board terminals, but not to the heating element terminals.

Has anybody got a copy of the service manual for the RMD8555? Or maybe a picture of the back on their installation?

If it's as simple as hooking up the extra wires, it's probably easier for me to do it myself than to take the trailer back to the original shop...

Thanks.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
If it's as simple as hooking up the extra wires, it's probably easier for me to do it myself than to take the trailer back to the original shop.
I agree Doug, but if I had the time, I'd make THEM fix it. It's the principle of the thing.

Here's a link to the appropriate section in the installation manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/108...page=19#manual
Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Based upon past posts it was clear we have never been able to find anyone with an installation manual of any sort for this unit. There was some hope on an Australian forum that we may have found it but it was very different. Any of us who received the warranty unit did not receive anything but an operations manual in the packaging.

The best hope is someone can give your a photo of their installation. I would be happy to, though I do not know if the unit works on 12 volt.

A photo from your side may assist in you getting the exact area you want.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Here is a photo.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Thanks, Doug. That shows what I thought should be the case -- the input wires are connected to both top (heating element) and bottom (control panel) terminals. On mine, they are only connected to the control panel terminals.

What's the black block between the red wires connecting top to bottom? Is that an extra inline fuse or something? I'm not sure why a fuse would be necessary, but can't think what else it might be...

Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, Doug. That shows what I thought should be the case -- the input wires are connected to both top (heating element) and bottom (control panel) terminals. On mine, they are only connected to the control panel terminals.

What's the black block between the red wires connecting top to bottom? Is that an extra inline fuse or something? I'm not sure why a fuse would be necessary, but can't think what else it might be...

You mean this one, yes it's a fuse.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
RMD-8555 install manual

If I can figure out how to attach docs, here's the install manual pdf.
I too have been having fun with my dometic, everything works but Im trying to get the thing to work like the manual says it will. (auto sense solar and switch to it when available).
I see at the bottom of the reply page here that i can "add video" hope it means file. Here goes:
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #8

rmd install manual upload attempt 2

Well that didn't work. checked the "how to faq" IE read the instructions. Heres the second attempt. File too large at 1MB and when i print and scan on my home machine the size is still too large.
Went back and looked at the link Rbryan4 sent and its what I have. So there ya go.

John
Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 19'
Tinkerers and AES link

Hi Doug,

We spent a bit of time fooling the AES and watching it search. You might find some info to help understand here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post65839

The DC 'big wires' on your frig may not have been hooked up when you took it in for the swap? Many of us run with the DC disconnected so the frig can't 'get there' unexpectedly and draw down the battery. The AES was supposed to be a great idea .. but I find it's tricking me at times and confusing the issue.

I run normally with the fuse removed from the big red supply. IF I want DC to operate I reinstall the fuse and watch the AES pickup the DC.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
You mean this one, yes it's a fuse.
How many amps is that fuse? I guess the circuit has a large (20A?) fuse on it, and this one is intended to limit the power available to the control board to a more reasonable level.

On my fridge, the power is fed to the control board without a fuse, so could potentially get the full 20A.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree Doug, but if I had the time, I'd make THEM fix it. It's the principle of the thing.

Here's a link to the appropriate section in the installation manual:

Electrical Installation - Dometic RMD 8501 Installation Instructions Manual [Page 19]
Thanks rbryan... Very useful.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
How many amps is that fuse?
After looking at the manual posted by rbryan, I can answer my own question: 2A.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Doug I just checked mine and its 5 amps.
Cheers
Doug
Old 06-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hi Doug,

We spent a bit of time fooling the AES and watching it search. You might find some info to help understand here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post65839

The DC 'big wires' on your frig may not have been hooked up when you took it in for the swap? Many of us run with the DC disconnected so the frig can't 'get there' unexpectedly and draw down the battery. The AES was supposed to be a great idea .. but I find it's tricking me at times and confusing the issue.

I run normally with the fuse removed from the big red supply. IF I want DC to operate I reinstall the fuse and watch the AES pickup the DC.
Klem,

Thanks for the reminder on that post. It was a good re-read.

The previous RML8555 did work on 12v -- we did use it occasionally. When set on automatic, it never selected 12v -- always propane or 120v.

Reading the RMD8555 manual that rbryan posted, it may be the same here. With 12v (20A) fed to the heating element terminal blocks, and 12v (2A) fed to the control electronics, there's still something missing for the AES. The manual talks about feeding the "dynamo" (D+) and "solar" (S+) signals to different terminals in the electronics. Without these feeds, I suspect the AES will never select 12v.

I need to take a closer look at the way my fridge is actually wired up, though. There's a chance the 12v heating element terminal is connected to the D+ terminal behind the scenes.

Not sure how the AES works with respect to shutting the engine off if the heating elements have 12v but the D+ terminal isn't hooked up. Need to do more reading and eventually some experimenting.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #15

Here's what I have in the install manual I have for the 8555.
====================================
4.9.2 Battery connection
The machine's 12V connection cable is connec-
ted (observing correct polarity) to a terminal
strip. The wiring for the heating element (refer to
A, B wiring diagram connections; connection
cable white/red) must be direct and by the shor-
test possible route to the battery or electric
generator.
Cable cross sections and cable lengths
Motorcaravan & Caravan (inside)
4 mm ² (RML = 6 mm ² ) < 6 m
6 mm ² (RML = 10 mm ² ) > 6 m
Caravan (outside)
min 2,5 mm ² (EN1648-1)
2,5mm²

Provide a 16 A fuse to protect on-board 12 V
circuit.

In order to ensure that the 12V power supply is
shut off when stopping the engine (otherwise
the battery would discharge within a few hours),
perform the power supply to the heating ele-
ment (cf. page 30, connection A/B in wiring dia-
gram) in a way to have the 12V supply only live
while the vehicle ignition is switched on.
The connection C/D (interior light, electronics,
cable black / violet) must be permanently provi-
ded by a 12V DC power supply to be protected
by a 2A fuse.

John
Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #16

John,

That differs from the Australia/NZ installation guide that rbryan provided. In your manual, is there a section 4.9.3 talking about hooking up D+ and solar connections? In the Aus/NZ version, section 4.9.3 states that the appliance AES will only choose 12v if there's voltage detected on the D+ terminal.

The description and pictures in the Aus/NZ installation manual match what I see looking at the back of the fridge. It has a 2014 date on it, so it's not too far out-of-date.

What's the locale for your manual? Judging from the language, I'd guess it's not North America.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The effort to do this is not worth the work for me. (But if you want to do it, go for it.) You will need 2 additional wires to the fridge electronics:
1) solar voltage
2) tow vehicle voltage
These wires are normally connected straight to the 12V battery, so even if the solar controller or tug power is off the fridge will see 12+ volts on these wires.

The next sentence needs to be addressed by someone more competent in this area than I am. I *think* you can get a blocking diode to prevent the voltage "backfeed" but it *may* lower the solar/car charging voltage by 0.6 volts.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #18

The D+ terminal should NOT be connected to the heating element. It is intended to be a signal wire - not to provide any significant current.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #19

Oh, I don't intend to hook up the D+ or S+ terminals. I was just observing that they were there, and that if they aren't hooked up, I believe the fridge AES should never choose 12v operation.

I actually wouldn't mind having the D+ hooked up -- it would be convenient to automatically switch to 12v when the tow vehicle was runnings. But the little bit of convenience is far outweighed by the difficulty of running the extra wires.

But the key for me is being able to manually select 12v operation. Currently that's not working. My belief is that if I hook up power to the heating element terminals in the terminal block, but leave S+ and D+ disconnected, 12v will work on manual but will never be selected on automatic.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
But the key for me is being able to manually select 12v operation. Currently that's not working. My belief is that if I hook up power to the heating element terminals in the terminal block, but leave S+ and D+ disconnected, 12v will work on manual but will never be selected on automatic.
You are correct.