RMD8555 fridge won't run on propane - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
RMD8555 fridge won't run on propane

Today is my first day on a three-week trip. I switched my fridge to propane while on the road, and when I arrived at today's destination the fridge was warm and the alarm going off. Following the instruction manual I turned the fridge off and on several times, and reset the alarm. I also turned on the stove burners and furnace for a bit to clear out the gas lines. The fridge still starts beeping after a few minutes on propane. It doesn't beep on battery power, but that will drain my batteries overnight. I have one full propane tank and the trailer is switched to it.

Has anyone had this particular problem (i.e. won't run on propane) with the RMD855 refrigerator? What am I missing? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I often have this problem when starting it up while packing up to go. Trust you have run the stove to verify gas running. After that, there is that reset button on far right of touch pad and I press that and also press auto again. It seems to have a mind of its own and haven't found one set way to get it going but it finally does.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be spiders or other crud in the gas side of the fridge, the burner might need cleaning or the igniter might not be doing it's thing. If I can dig up some directions I'll post them, don't have the manual handy, it might have the info.

This looks similar.

http://www.rvparksrus.com/keep-your-...an-the-burner/
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, that happens after a long non use period of time, I always switch over while at home for a couple of hours to verify operation before departure and also remove and clean the refer compartment every spring. Adding some metal screen to the refer area would also help.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17B
I have had similar problems with propane running fridge after dewinterizing. Then, all of a sudden it starts working. maybe it takes awhile for the air to be purged out? I also know that it will not cool much if trailer is not close to level. This last trip, the fridge worked on propane, but doesn't cool as well as electric, I wonder why? do they need to be "recharged" or something?
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Yeah, the burner probably needs cleaning. I bought a long extension cord and found a place to plug in at my current location, so I'll run the fridge on 120V until I can get it serviced. Thanks all.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yeah, the burner probably needs cleaning. I bought a long extension cord and found a place to plug in at my current location, so I'll run the fridge on 120V until I can get it serviced. Thanks all.
Mike, if you could let us know what happens after you get it cleaned, I would appreciate this. I am always looking out for solutions to various problems, and appreciate learning from the experience of others.

Leon
Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Like Jim, it's not a bad idea to test everything out a day or 2 before we hit the road. Better to find out at home where the tools and help are.