Road to perfection -- first time out questions to make it even better for next - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Road to perfection -- first time out questions to make it even better for next

Hi all,

We recently returned from our inaugural trip in Oliver -- whoa! Better than we expected. We were on a work trip and planned to be out for three nights, but things got a bit nuts and we ended up out for eight. It was a joy to come home every night to our own food and good, cold beer in the fridge. HOORAY ESCAPE!!!

I plan to post at some point "rating" the many modifications we made -- thanks to you guys here we made some really great choices. But there are a few things I couldn't quite figure out. There may be more stuff (I don't have my notes handy) but these are the very minor things that came to mind.

#1 -- Evil shower curtain. We did use our shower regularly since we were working, and actually were hooked up to city water for a few nights (what a luxury!). But the curtain that shipped with Oliver kept getting in the way when we did our, um, internal business. I tried ditching it, then quickly realized after that night's shower why it's necessary Has anyone gotten a different curtain that works a little better -- or does anyone have a better system, so that you don't have a sopping wet, crinkly-cold curtain brushing your arms every time you're seated on the Throne?

#2 -- Water dripping off the back left corner of the sink, onto the seat back cushion. This is probably due my own sloppiness more than anything, but has anyone installed a kind of "ridge" or anything that would keep excess water from the sink (that might collect when you're, say, washing dishes and have a wet sponge sitting on the counter) from rolling off onto the upholstery and behind the little pop-up table there? Obviously, I need to be a little neater, but if there are other slobs out there perhaps you've worked some solution? It may have been the way we were leveled, but in most cases the water seemed to roll off the very back corner, against where the counter comes up behind the faucet in that mini-backspash ...

#3 -- Toilet chemical. How much? You just pour into the pot, eh? And is it a cardinal sin to use TP that's okayed for septic systems, but doesn't specifically say RV?

#4 -- Mysterious Magic Wand! What's that long white plastic wand that comes with the start-up kit and hooks up to your hose supposed to be used for? We couldn't figure it out on the road (nothing in the manual that we saw) -- we didn't have access to Tammy's instructional DVD so apologies if it's there.

Thanks all,

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Road to perfection -- first time out questions to make it even better for next

That's it, you are officially Escapees. Though, you did have me wondering with "Oliver", for a bit I was thinking you had an Oliver trailer.

With just a few small concerns, it sounds like most everything worked out great for you. I can't help you out much with your queries, but will add what I can.

#1 - Our shower has only been used once in 3 years now, so a wet curtain has not been an issue, though I can see what you mean. Maybe a quick wipe down with a towel.

#2 - Does situation is not applicable to our 19, as we have a gable between the counter and the bed. If your 'sloppiness' ensues, there are products available for bathtubs that forms a short dam to stop water in the corners.

#3 - According to Tammy in THIS video, a "small glug" is required.

#4 - Just guessing, but it is likely a wand for rinsing out the grey and black tanks. It helps to keep the level sensors clean.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Road to perfection -- first time out questions to make it even better for next

Hi: medora...
#1...You can buy a spool of velcro that sticks to itself. Bunch the curtain and wrap it round tight. We also tuck it behind the flusher pull for the loo. Carry a piece of synthetic chamois in a ziploc bag to wipe the curtain, loo and shower walls dry.
#2 Sink small...think small!!! Don't put too much water in it to wash dishes so it stays in the sink. Better than building the dam higher!!!
#3 We use "The Geo Method" for the holding tanks solution. 1/2 cup of Calgon+ 1/2 cup Cascade Dishwasher detergent to 1/2 gal. water.(Empty juice jug) Most in the black tank + a bit in the grey. The Calgon makes the water soft and slippery so nothing sticks to the tank...even TP made for septic systems.
#4 Open the grey water tank valve when tank is empty and carefully insert the magic wand as far as you can get it to rince out the tank. I drilled some small angled holes in the end cap so it sprays back towards the shutoff. They help to keep the sensors reading correctly. (Advice from Reace)
Most of all ENJOY THE RIDE... and don't sweat the small stuff!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

You also use that wand to flush the inside of the black tank.

You hold open the toilet flush lever, after emptying the black tank, ensuring that the wand is inserted to the bottom. Then, you gingerly open the lever on the wand so that it is spraying the inside of the tank, and move the wand around, angling it to cover the inside with spray.

If you get a face full of spray, you have lifted the wand to far out of the tank...

Do not let the toilet flap close on the wand or you could damage the seal. I found that a container of baby wipes would wedge the lever in the open position.

baglo
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

E,

1.Like I said -we replaced the curtain with a Dacron one from Target cut to size.

2. We have one of these RV dish drainer and put a towel on the bed when washing dishes in case: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43511-Mi...5831012&sr=8-1

3. We do sort of the Geo method too - works well. I always put some detergent and water softener in for the drive home. It splashes around and cleans out the black tank really well. We use the same TP we use at home - (Seventh Generation recycled paper stuff). Most any work - just put a sheet in a glass of water and see if it breaks down.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
How Much Blue Stuff

The "glug" that Jim recommends is too much quanity. I think a "gluck" is the proper amount and certainly more fitting of a Canadian made product.

I like the idea behind the geo mixture but Calgon is a very expensive product, if you can find it. And it is one more item to mix, carry and store. I like the blue stuff but do not use very much. Certainly more than a capful but less than a 1/4 cup. I believe this product is only a deoderizer so the necessary amount will depend on usage and duration. You can always add more if you notice a smell.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I agree with Paul that little is usually needed to cover the smell. To keep down weight and space saving I don't mix up anything for the Geo method. I have a small plastic bottle of powdered Calgon and another small one of concentrated Simple Green. I figure that there is plenty of water in the toilet to mix them into. The Simple Green seems to have enough scent to mask any odors from the toilet and with the "slippery" effect of the Cascade, is seems to keep the tank, sensors and valve clean - at least so far! And having the Simple Green along gives us a safe general purpose cleaner when we need one.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

That's a great idea (Calgon & Simple Green).. but I must admit if at a Campsite - I tend to save my #2's for the camping facilities..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

In lieu, or was that loo, of the calgon concoction I have used ice cubes down the toilet. If I am on my way home from a trip I will pick up a small bag of cubes when fueling and put them down the toilet. Seems to jostle around and clean things. Once home, it is a small amount to drain and pour down the privy. I have never tried to use a wand or any other means to clean the inside of the black tank.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Ice cubes? Brilliant!

Curious for the earth nerds out there, is there something au natural (Seventh Generation something, for instance) that could be used in lieu of the Calgon? Could you just put some water with PBW down there, or am I misunderstanding what this is for?

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun
The "glug" that Jim recommends is too much quanity. I think a "gluck" is the proper amount and certainly more fitting of a Canadian made product.
I was just quoting Tammy, and she did say "A small glug". I might assume that this would be close to equaling a gluck, am I correct?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Re: Road to perfection -- first time out questions to make it even better for ne

We have used Seventh Generation for decades but have not used their products with the trailer (yet.) Yes, toilet bowl cleaner is available from them.
People talk about Calgon for the black tank and maybe the gray tank.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I don't understand why people go to such great lengths to avoid products that are made for the purpose, and to re-purpose products that were made for something else.

Calgon is expensive for one thing. It contains chemicals as do the toilet treatments.

The companies making the toilet treatments are aware of the "green" wave and have been changing formulas to make them environmentally safe and to give them superior functional qualities.

Years ago Omni magazine listed all the chemical components of a simple chicken egg. Pretty scary really.

baglo