rock protection - storage box vs mud flaps vs ... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Only white they had at the Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-D...07-6/203286992

I used two cans for initial test which has been close to 2 years. Now I'm going to remove, fill/gel-coat the snaps and redo with probably 3-4 cans for a bit more depth.
Did you do just where the original vinyl was with two cans or did you do a bigger area?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Did you do just where the original vinyl was with two cans or did you do a bigger area?
Just did the bottom panels where the flaps are. Twin 6v battery boxes cover whole center section. Never been susceptible to high rock hits on this trailer and tow so far.
Hard part is the lines. You can't use painters tape as it peels the PD up. I use a long plastic drywall tool to avoid over spray wiping it clean and moving it where needed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks everyone. I have asked ETI if they'll wave the $200 change fee ... my pickup date is less than a month out. So far haven't heard back, but I won't pay the extra $200 for the unit...it's not that important to me. My latest build photos show the battery rails and propane tank in place, so I have a feeling they'll say no. I hadn't realized about the vinyl flaps, which I suppose would solve the issue of rock dings, but I really like the idea of the plastic tool dip stuff too.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Only white they had at the Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-D...07-6/203286992

I used two cans for initial test which has been close to 2 years. Now I'm going to remove, fill/gel-coat the snaps and redo with probably 3-4 cans for a bit more depth.
Thanks. Tends to be many variation of white. Let us know how removal goes!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
No storage box, removed the vinyl flaps and spayed the panels with Plasti dip about 2 years ago. No chips, and the Plasti dip matches gel coat color.
Greg, what made you decide to use the plasti-dip over the vinyl flaps?
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post
Greg, what made you decide to use the plasti-dip over the vinyl flaps?
Personally, I hated the Vinyl flaps on previous 17B. Took them off and never put anything in their place. I totally forgot ETI did them and forgot to tell them not to put them on the 19. One of our Scamp Owners had used the plasti dip and I really liked it. Removed the vinyl flaps, applied the dip and its been a perfect solution to date.
I’m also not a fan of the ETI storage box, eventually want a more robust black aluminum truck storage box with a bit more secure locks. However, I’d still plasti dip those lower panels whether I have a box or not just as a precaution.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #27

Trailer: escape 17b 2017
we had damage to our 17 the first trip out with it. rocks broke the entire structure away in two separate places - not just gel coat. we had no storage box nor flaps. see attached pics and click on them to see detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape damage-1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	34614

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape damage-2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	34615
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
we had damage to our 17 the first trip out with it. rocks broke the entire structure away in two separate places - not just gel coat. we had no storage box nor flaps. see attached pics and click on them to see detail.

Attachment 34614

Attachment 34615
Wow! That is some damage! That is a perfect lesson that you have to drive for the conditions. If the road is gravelly such that your wheels are throwing rocks at your trailer, you should either slow down to the point where that no longer happens, or resign yourself to incurring damage on your fiberglass.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #29

Trailer: escape 17b 2017
no, those are not the choices i would recommend. there will always be rocks stuck in tires no matter where you drive. if you drive slow enough to not throw rocks, well, good luck getting anywhere and no, do not simply accept getting damage. my original post is what i recommend - do something about it by blocking/protecting the fiberglass body in some fashion.
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Minnranger: what the heck is your tow vehicle? and what tires on it that you can throw rocks big enough to do that damage.

This is what my 17B looks like after ten years towing down gravel roads with a RAV4. Couple chips in the gelcoat that you can't see for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
front hitch.jpg  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since Minnranger is duplicate posting, I'm going to copy my post over on the 4 things thread---
Either too fast or too rough or both, I have never seen damage that bad, and to a new trailer. I have seen pictures here of Escapes that went all the way to Alaska and return and not have that heavy damage. You would almost have to file an insurance claim to have it fixed.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have seen pictures here of Escapes that went all the way to Alaska and return and not have that heavy damage.
[/I]
Yup and throw in a couple of Mex. 5 trips in Baja also. My wheel wells have a few small pock marks but that's about it.

Lucky that kind of damage is fairly easy to repair and make it look like new again.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
When I added a second battery and moved them rearward, I also extended the rear bar to support a protective panel. This panel is a window cut out that I asked for when I ordered the trailer. I attached it using the upper snap holes and of course new holes in the bar. I also hung a rubber flap down from the bar.
It was cheap to do and I am sure it would have worked well. I stood back...looked at it then got two things from the house, a camera and a grinder...it looked like crap! A few minutes after the photo it was gone.
Attached Thumbnails
B1CFFE5A-CFE6-4B15-BDC9-1FB8690F8C55.jpg   CECCF615-DD32-4123-BC20-233F269BCC4F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The right set of flaps on the tow vehicle will go a long way in protecting the trailer. I’ve got the factory ones on the GMC and only show very minor damage on the foam insulation at the front of the trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
looks like a snow plow on the Escape......
Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
My bet is that the glass in that area was not rolled tight into that corner leaving a void behind the gelcoat. The gelcoat alone does not have much strength due to it being relatively thin. Ron is right, this is not a very tough repair. Clean the damaged areas out real good, maybe fill with some fibre reinforced filler, then add a layer of gelcoat, sand and buff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
When I added a second battery and moved them rearward, I also extended the rear bar to support a protective panel. This panel is a window cut out that I asked for when I ordered the trailer. I attached it using the upper snap holes and of course new holes in the bar. I also hung a rubber flap down from the bar.
It was cheap to do and I am sure it would have worked well. I stood back...looked at it then got two things from the house, a camera and a grinder...it looked like crap! A few minutes after the photo it was gone.
I too have to admit I was not pleased with how some of my ideas have played out either. You have done lots of great mods to your trailer, but in this case it was a good decision to remove them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #37

I have a storage box in back yard.
Soon to be a planter.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Storage and protection.....

Quote:
I am picking up my new 19 in November, and am starting to wonder if I should have ordered a cargo box just to help protect the front edge of the trailer. I wouldn't really need it for the storage per se.

So my question is is it worth the $700 for this? I am going to buy mud flaps for my 2019 Ridgeline, which I hope will minimize flying rocks. I have also read about protective film for the trailer's front surfaces. Also this product looks effective Stone Stomper Stone Guard | Stone stomper

Thoughts?
DO get the storage box !!! It will give you awesome protection and one has never to much storage space. On our 19 it is always full. We have our 19 now for 4 years and almost no damage to the trailer front. Mud flaps help somewhat but not enough. !!
Good luck with your 19. We love it !!
hermenator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2011 19'
This summer we made a mistake taking a road we thought was paved from Consul, Sk. to Milk River Ab. it was about 200 km of gravel. The only damage was paint chipped off the rear bumper and entrance steps (since painted over). We have the front box and you can barely see any micro damage. We have no mud flaps on the Highlander. It took a while for us to clean out dust that had seeped into the trailer though; mostly through the furnace.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape
Storage Box a must have

Quote:
I am picking up my new 19 in November, and am starting to wonder if I should have ordered a cargo box just to help protect the front edge of the trailer. I wouldn't really need it for the storage per se.

So my question is is it worth the $700 for this? I am going to buy mud flaps for my 2019 Ridgeline, which I hope will minimize flying rocks. I have also read about protective film for the trailer's front surfaces. Also this product looks effective Stone Stomper Stone Guard | Stone stomper

Thoughts?
I just finished a 2500 mile round trip Las Vegas to Atlanta. Storage box was main stay all things hook up, set up and take down. To your questions it stopped all kinds of road "crap" from hitting the fiberglass front of my 19. Cannot imagine what clean up or repair would have been like without it. Box is thought and coated with chip resistant coating which can be cleaned with soap water or solvent to get off the Dept of Highways mystery glue tar.
Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote