rock protection - storage box vs mud flaps vs ... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #41

Trailer: Casita 2014
Like so many Escapees, we too formerly owned a Casita, with zero storage capability. And we also had the rear of the truck filled with all those little awkward incidentals -- the "legos", hoses, chocks, dumping equipment, etc. We now own an Escape 19', adore it, and we have not regretted purchasing the front storage box for a nanosecond. One tip though, which we learned after our first rain experience. When closing the rock shield for the front dining window, make sure the storage box is closed! Even if the shield is tipped to shed water, it typically retains a fair amount and will shower it directly into the storage box if it is open.
penelope66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape19 2016
the $700 expense is well worth it but if you decide against it, my advice is to polish the trailer and that makes it very easy to clean after being on the road.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #43

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Personally, I hated the Vinyl flaps on previous 17B. Took them off and never put anything in their place. I totally forgot ETI did them and forgot to tell them not to put them on the 19. One of our Scamp Owners had used the plasti dip and I really liked it. Removed the vinyl flaps, applied the dip and its been a perfect solution to date.
I’m also not a fan of the ETI storage box, eventually want a more robust black aluminum truck storage box with a bit more secure locks. However, I’d still plasti dip those lower panels whether I have a box or not just as a precaution.
Did you have a particular type of metal storage box in mind?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #44

Trailer: Looking
Picking up our 17B on nov. 5.
Order the storage box this afternoon. Tammy checking with production to se if one can be installed. Thanks for the comments,!
Fingers crossed that we will be able to have box installed. Jill

Massachusetts drive for our baby.
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’m not at the stage to do the box yet, but it will be a rectangular aluminum truck box similar to this. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5782_200665782
I dont know the exact meaurements of the box that I would do yet, so this one is just the idea of what I’d like. These are available in various sizes so it shouldnt be a problem to find one that is the size I will want when I’m ready to tackle it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #46

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I’m not at the stage to do the box yet, but it will be a rectangular aluminum truck box similar to this. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5782_200665782
I dont know the exact meaurements of the box that I would do yet, so this one is just the idea of what I’d like. These are available in various sizes so it shouldnt be a problem to find one that is the size I will want when I’m ready to tackle it.
OK. Thanks. Something to thing about.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2018 21
Has anyone done an extension to the flaps on the trailer itself?
I just noticed paint chipping on the forward outboard end of the rear bumper. Only thing I can think of is the rear tire throwing up road debris onto the bumper.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Has anyone done an extension to the flaps on the trailer itself?
I just noticed paint chipping on the forward outboard end of the rear bumper. Only thing I can think of is the rear tire throwing up road debris onto the bumper.

Buy a half pint of Tremclad semi-gloss black paint and disposable brushes. Takes a couple minutes to touch up and small can will last for years.