Ron in BC-Dual 12 battery install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ron in BC-Dual 12 battery install

I'm a great fan of system redundancy. I'd rather have two 12 volt batteries isolated from each other with a multi-position battery switch than all my eggs in one basket with two 6s. While it's not as critical in trailer use as in marine use where dead batteries can leave you out on a limb, I have had almost new batteries loose a cell. If that was in dual 6s I'd have nothing, with dual 12s, just a bit of a nuisance to get a new battery but the trailer can operate indefinitely on one 12 volt battery.

I'm aware that most folks prefer dual 6s but it's really not necessary to try and convince me how wonderful that setup is.

So I've removed the dinette seat. I was going to do this anyway, it's another mod. Paint all plywood. It also makes it easier to deal with installing a suitable battery box for two 12s.

One thing that I expected to do when I lifted out the factory battery box was to seal the edges of the bottom drain hole. I was happy to see that ETI installs a vinyl hose that effectively does the same thing.

Jim, you mentioned Group 29 in a previous post. The factory lists a Group 27 battery and that's what I have. I seem to think that maybe a few years ago it was a Group 29, but not now.

At any rate I'll be out at ETI on Tuesday to trade in my entry step. If they have a larger box that will accomodate two 12s I'll get one. That would be the simplest and easiest.

Tried out for size a Turkish carpet that we had in our aft cabin. Seems like it fits nicely.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0023_resize.JPG   IMGP0024_resize.JPG   IMGP0025_resize.JPG   rotated_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a great fan of system redundancy. I'd rather have two 12 volt batteries isolated from each other with a multi-position battery switch than all my eggs in one basket with two 6s. While it's not as critical in trailer use as in marine use where dead batteries can leave you out on a limb, I have had almost new batteries loose a cell. If that was in dual 6s I'd have nothing, with dual 12s, just a bit of a nuisance to get a new battery but the trailer can operate indefinitely on one 12 volt battery.

I'm aware that most folks prefer dual 6s but it's really not necessary to try and convince me how wonderful that setup is.

So I've removed the dinette seat. I was going to do this anyway, it's another mod. Paint all plywood. It also makes it easier to deal with installing a suitable battery box for two 12s.

One thing that I expected to do when I lifted out the factory battery box was to seal the edges of the bottom drain hole. I was happy to see that ETI installs a vinyl hose that effectively does the same thing.

Jim, you mentioned Group 29 in a previous post. The factory lists a Group 27 battery and that's what I have. I seem to think that maybe a few years ago it was a Group 29, but not now.

At any rate I'll be out at ETI on Tuesday to trade in my entry step. If they have a larger box that will accomodate two 12s I'll get one. That would be the simplest and easiest.

Tried out for size a Turkish carpet that we had in our aft cabin. Seems like it fits nicely.

Ron
Ron this May be a stupid question but you didn’t get a battery box ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Yes, I did get a battery box, you can see it in the top photo.

When I first looked at it, at ETI, the box looked quite large, much larger than the typical single battery box, and I thought that it would be large enough for two 12s.

Speaking of the boxes for two 6s, doe anyone have a measurement for one? If they're not large enough for two 12s it wouldn't make sense to ask ETI for one.

Ron
Old 09-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Yes, I did get a battery box, you can see it in the top photo.

When I first looked at it, at ETI, the box looked quite large, much larger than the typical single battery box, and I thought that it would be large enough for two 12s.

Speaking of the boxes for two 6s, doe anyone have a measurement for one? If they're not large enough for two 12s it wouldn't make sense to ask ETI for one.

Ron
Sorry missed the picture with battery box . We don’t have any battery box for our 6 ‘s they are outside in the storage box but not in a battery box . Should there be some venting for the gases ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You going with AGM’s Ron?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Yes, the 19's location makes it simple to add another battery in a box in the tongue box. On my 19 I just added the second battery side by side with the original one.

Yes, batteries should be vented to the exterior. I shouldn't say it but I've had batteries installed in non-vented situations and they were never a problem. But in a high charging rate situation, higher than typical, you can get off gassing.

ETI's installation does it right. There is a drain hole in the bottom that goes to the exterior as well as the horizontal vent that exits to the rear.

Ron
Old 09-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the box in my 2014 E21 is 14.5" wide, 10.75" deep, and 11.5" tall. 2 GC2 batts just fit inside.

(I was due to check the electrolyte levels anyways)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the same location my 2014 E21 had the batteries. I asked for an off the chart group 29 battery as a compromise between dual 6 and the stock group 24 battery. Due to it's size, Escape installed the oversized battery box shown in John's photo. Thus when I decided to switch to dual 6ers later, it was an easy install.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
You going with AGM’s Ron?
Not likely, I've never had any reason to make me want anything else. Of course my background has something to do with that. We cruised our boat for years, long before solar became an option. We're pretty power frugal compared to some. Same as water use. Besides, I have a brand new, never used deep cycle just sitting on a shelf in my garage so it'll be my second battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the box in my 2014 E21 is 14.5" wide, 10.75" deep, and 11.5" tall. )
Thanks a bunch John. That's the same size as my box. I'll ask Dustin if there's a larger size but I'm thinking it's one size fits all. I'm guessing that the majority of folks are ordering dual 6s and for those that order the basic 12 volt, well, let's just say that it's not crowded in the box.

Ron
Old 09-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
Site Team

if you /really/ wanted some power reserves, get a 8D. thats a 12V marine battery thats about the size of 2 golf cart batteries, but the long way, not side by side. Trojan makes an AGM 8D thats 230AH at 12V. yeah, it weighs 160 lbs, ooof.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/8d-agm/

they run about $600 however.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
At one point the standard was Group 27, with Group 29 and dual GC2 as two different upgrade options. The Group 29 option is no longer offered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Given all the descriptions of sealing issues with the boxes provided with dual GC2 in the 21' and 5.0TA, I would be looking for a better box well sized for your batteries. If your 12 V batteries are not as tall as a GC2, you'll be able to use a box with a better lid arrangement than Escape uses.

There was a discussion of battery boxes to fit under the front dinette of a 19' (for a custom inside installation)... but I don't remember whose trailer it was.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if you /really/ wanted some power reserves, get a 8D. thats a 12V marine battery thats about the size of 2 golf cart batteries, but the long way, not side by side. Trojan makes an AGM 8D thats 230AH at 12V. yeah, it weighs 160 lbs, ooof.
Within the same product line (Trojan's Motive AGM dual-purpose in this case), all sizes and formats will have nearly the same capacity per unit weight and bulk. 8D is handy because it is one tidy box for a lot of capacity at 12 volts, but a person can't lift it (and what one person can lift is the major factor in deciding how large a battery can be in many cases).

If you're willing to use a crane or get help to install and remove it, this works... but I would only consider it with an external box or a slide-out battery tray.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #14

Yup, they're big suckers. I had one in my sailboat as a house battery. Kept the Nova Kool going.

Ron
Old 09-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There was a discussion of battery boxes to fit under the front dinette of a 19' (for a custom inside installation)... but I don't remember whose trailer it was.
Brian: It was part of my mini-split install. The box is by QuickCable.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post153735
Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape
Quote:

Ron
Only a fool would do such a thing.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Brian: It was part of my mini-split install. The box is by QuickCable.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post153735
That's the one! I thought that it was you, Dave, but didn't find it in a search because I forgot that it was part of relocating batteries to make from for the outdoor unit of the air conditioner. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
you'll be able to use a box with a better lid arrangement than Escape uses.
You're right, I think it's the lid that's the culprit. But I think there's an easy fix for anyone that's had their alarm go off.

I think that the lid's fine but it's the way they seal it that's at fault. They use a single sheet of ethafoam. I've marked in felt pen where the compression from the boxes sides makes good contact with the foam. There are areas of poor contact.

I think that the fault is using a single piece of foam that is smaller than the interior of the lid. A better way would be to cut 1" strips and glue them in hard up against the edge so there would be full contact around the perimeter.

All in all I think that's it's a decent box, too bad that I can't use it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0034_resize.JPG  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I'm a great fan of system redundancy. I'd rather have two 12 volt batteries isolated from each other with a multi-position battery switch than all my eggs in one basket with two 6s.
Ron
Ron-- could you post a photo of the multi-position battery switch that you mentioned, or a link to one? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
Site Team

my lid has 1" wide strips of double-adhesive 1/4" thick foam stuck to the inside of the top all the way around, the peel-off on hte other side of this foam was not removed. this seems to make good contact with the box all the way around.