Ron's 21 pickup - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ron's 21 pickup

OK, today was pickup day. I won't say orientation because I specifically asked not to have one. So basically hand over a bank draft, sign the papers and go.

Their guy that brings the trailer out from the back evidently normally takes the customers' tow vehicle back and pulls the trailer out front. He was a little surprised when I asked him to just use the fork lift to pull it out so I could install my own WDH. I'd already set the inclination so that went quickly and I was ready to roll. Everything hooked up and ready to roll. Set the truck for trailer towing etc. and did a light check, no turn signals or brake lights. Running lights worked.

The tech came out with their tester and all lights functioned so the problem was with the truck. Never had a light problem with the 19.

Went to the Ford dealer and they were helpful, confirm the fuse/relay for turn signals and brake lights wasn't defective. What to do, what to do? Decided with functioning running lights that I could make a run for home. Get on highway, stay in right lane, don't make lane changes because of no turn signals and faked brake lights by putting parking lights on when I depressed the brake pedal.

Uneventful drive in heavy traffic. Have to say that I really didn't notice any difference between towing the 19 and the 21. Maybe when it's loaded with "stuff" I'll notice that it's a bit heavier. But the F150 doesn't seem to care. Have I ever said how much I love my F150 Also, I have the stock mirrors and they were more than adequate so I'm happy about that.

So, the only negative is those darn lights. I might go back and check that relay otherwise hopefully it's something covered by warranty.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I found when I picked up #4 and requested "no orientation" to speed things up. made the process longer. They ave scheduled drivers throughout the day that take the trailers over the border, so I had to wait for that schedule to coordinate with my pickup. Gave me a chance to meander around the factory and talk with various people. My 8;30 orientation ended up with 11:00 am border crossing and a delayed 1 pm checkout from Best Western.
At least you did not have to cross the border....that saved a lot of time.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
So they are letting folks back in the factory again to see how things are produced. With a manufacturing background, wanted to see this when we picked our 21 up but they wouldn’t even let me look thru the door
Oldtimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Team

I did not get back into the manufacturing part, just the display and pickup area was all I saw. But it was busy there...
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: sold 17' Casita -2019 21' Escape
Guess I will get one of these to put in tool box.
7-Way to RV Socket LED Circuit Tester

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Poll...hoCD2wQAvD_BwE
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post

Good idea to do that before you go if you have not used your 7 pin connector before. When I got to orientation they found that the running light connection in my 7 pin connector didn't work. Went without them as we were not driving at night any, but had a heck of a time determining the problem which turned out to be intermittent (the best kind...). Took it back to both the hitch installer and the Ram dealer when we got home, and of course it worked fine for both of them. I started unplugging connectors under the truck to check fittings and found moisture in the connector where the truck wiring harness plugs into the connections at the bumper. I dried it out, sealed up the connector to keep water from getting in, and haven't had the problem since.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post

Very useful device. I installed a new brake controller before my Aug pickup date for my new 21 and plugged the device in to check things after completion.

The fuse on my truck for the brakes on the 7 pin had blown. Who knows why? The device pointed me right to it.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Team

This is the one I got from ETrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...y/TR20117.html
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Interesting same eTrailer device is half the price from Amazon.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Trailer: N/A
As someone who purchased a used tow vehicle and had a brake controller installed well in advance of placing an order with Escape, this device will be massively helpful in providing some piece of mind in advance of showing up for orientation day.

I was unaware such a device existed. Thank you!

Jstan is offline   Reply With Quote