Roof Vent Cover Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Roof Vent Cover Replacement

Hello,

Despite living in a rainforest, it seems that enough UV has hit my 2004 escape and caused my roof vents to become brittle and crack. In fact my rear large vent (I have 2 large on main roof - one small in head) blew off.

Anyone have any idea of what style hinge I might need (ie Jensen, ventline, elixer). I have no RV shops on island and must order online. The forecast calls for rain and I had hoped to escape camping this week. Not convinced my aluminium foil repair will survive a road trip! I ordered a couple of Maxx Air II vent caps, but still will require a vent cover to replace the old.

Any suggestions where I could order online? Does escape trailer carry? (needs to ship to remote BC Canada). Of course this happens after my holidays on the mainland...

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

Re: Roof Vent Cover Replacement

Try Camping World. I don't know what yours looks like, but they have multiple types:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...vent-kit/35181

As a preventative, Krylon sells a paint which protects plastic parts from UV and restores yellowed plastic to white:

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

HTH;
Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Elixir, Jensen or Ventline Vent cap?

Thanks for the links and tips on paint.
I was looking at replacing the larger vents, not the sewer vent.
Any suggestions out there on what hinge the escape trailer uses on the vent cap?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...vent-caps/1436
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #4

Sorry, that not reading what you actually wrote thing got me in trouble. Sorry I can't help with the hinges either.

Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I'm sure Escape could tell you about the hinges. And I second the Krylon idea. I'm never going to replace any plastic part on my trailer without giving it a shot of UV paint first. If Krylon gives the plastic part another half-life it will be worth the effort. And, it's far easier to paint something before it's affixed to the trailer.

BTW: my 1988 trailer has the original egress vent on top... no paint. Shhhhh it may hear this discussion but it hasn't cracked yet. I'm just careful with the brush I use to wash the top of the trailer... no rough stuff! And the trailer spent months a year in Texas out in the sun... for years! Is it possible the "plastics" used years ago are better quality built than now? Hummmmm.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

This stuff is supposed to be amazingly good at protecting plastic, fiberglass and other materials from UV degradation: http://www.amazon.com/Rave-1032-Aero...4259796&sr=8-1

I just bought some for my Wenonah canoe based on Wenonah's recommendation. I'm going to try on "Blue" too.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Bumper to Bumper Auto Stores have 303 Protectorant in stock. I am using it, not sure what good it does. I am just spraying it on roof top plastic, not easy to do much else on the roof.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Roof Vent Cover Replacement - VENTLINE for my '04

It appears that my 2004 uses the Ventline model hinge. Available all over the web in the states, and at Cdn tire in canada - no online sales. So will have to call a friend to get for me! Too bad no one in canada is trying to sell us rv parts on line.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Have you tried etrailer.com? They are a U.S. company but:

They have tons of RV stuff at good prices, and you can phone and find out if they can ship from their Canadian warehouse which can save you money in shipping and customs. Not everything they have is available from their Canadian source which is why you need to phone.

baglo
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
After a month in bright, hot sun and temps of 100+ my bath vent on the 15B has turned seriously yellow! I even had 303 on it before we left this summer. The vents on the MAXX and the round vent covers on the black and grey tanks are still pristine white. It is already looking like the kind of plastic that turns brittle and breaks easily and this vent cover is already very thin. What are other experiences of owners? I reactivated this thread to see what there was out there. I also know that the bigger units get the round vent and those don't seem to yellow as much either. Seems like a really weak part on an otherwise high end trailer. Thoughts or suggestions??
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Unfortunately, it's the same on all brands of trailers since none of the trailer manufacturers build their own vents. You'll hear the same "yellowing, brittle" rant on YahooScampers, CasitaForum, CasitaClub and FiberglassRV. I suppose you could change to aluminum like used on Airstreams.... better take out a second mortgage!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Does any one know the manufacturer or model number to order a 5.0 escape hatch cover? I am expecting the sun and weather to slowly destroy
what has already yellowed. I want to have a replacement in hand before they no longer sell them.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Site Team

Here, I found an ALL metal 14x14 non-powered vent and lid. Although when it rains you might think you've got a bucket over turned on your head... at least the "yellowing, brittle" won't be a problem:
Ventline V2110SP-24 Non-Power RV Trailer Roof Vent All Metal Lid w/Garnish Camper Trailer RV
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the small one maybe 9"x9" for the bath, at least that is what was in my 19', made by Heng?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Not sure if this was discussed earlier. Is the bath roof vent required if the trailer is built with an opening bath window? I suspect this would be a solution for those ordering trailers now. Choose a window and eliminate the roof bath vent altogether.
BRietkerk is offline   Reply With Quote