Rust and possible water entry points under propane tray. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another reason to get the foam spray, your frame is 80% covered, less repainting.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Went out to check my propane tray and found almost identical situation. No need to post more photos there, but while I was at it decided to chip away all the loose paint on the tongue unit that is welded on then spray painted. Whatever that paint is its not very durable. It looks like bare metal towards the front but its not, just the sun shining. Am going to use Hammerite on it all. While looking up from underneath I found that the frame rails come together and are open. No need to drill holes to let any water out. Lastly, while further inspecting have noticed some more light corrosion and feel like I'm going to be like BCNomad soon with a lot of face to the bottom of trailer time coming soon. Driving over ocean water on Hwy 1 north of San Simeon didn't help I'm sure.
Ross great stuff the Hammerite have used many times . Just haven't checked mine out yet but I probably need to touch up frame . Have you used primer that converts the rust ? This is just maintenance, repainting the metal . Think I will change the bolts to stainless and use some kind of washers to help the situation from rusting so bad . Pat
Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #23

Is there not some sort of electrical system you can install that slows down or eliminates corrosion? I remember seeing one on a trailer, operated of 12v....
Old 03-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #24

Here is one RS-5 FAQ - Rust Stop
Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I like the idea of inhibiting rust electrically, but since that unit is designed for motor vehicles, I'm wondering about battery drain if used on a trailer.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Is there not some sort of electrical system you can install that slows down or eliminates corrosion? I remember seeing one on a trailer, operated of 12v....
Quote:
That's supposed to be an impressed current cathodic protection system. This approach is absolutely valid and very important to corrosion prevention... for buried and floating steel structures where the ground or water carries current. It doesn't make sense to me that this would work on a structure in air such as a land vehicle - is anyone aware of a plausible explanation of how it would work (not the manufacturer's declaration that it does), or solid evidence that is does?

If sticking a handful of metal on the frame and hooking up few dollars worth of simple electronics would prevent rust, wouldn't major automotive manufacturers offer it? They spend a fortune on special materials (galvanized in some cases) and coatings to prevent rust.

The Wikipedia page for Cathodic Protection is pretty good. Although this sort of source is certainly not authoritative, it can help understanding, and is a good starting point for research. The Automotive section of this page links for four interesting references.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like the idea of inhibiting rust electrically, but since that unit is designed for motor vehicles, I'm wondering about battery drain if used on a trailer.
Their spec suggests that it would use up about an amp-hour per day, which is a problem for typical motor vehicles parked for several weeks at a time. I wouldn't want that level of draw on trailer parked for months, unless there was a solar or other external power source.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
So, after reading this thread earlier in the year, it was on my TO DO list to check out the frame under the propane tank tray for rust. YUP, the rust 15 months post production is eating away at the top of the frame and the tray itself is being eaten away as well at each of these points. Though the rust isn't anything serious yet, it isn't just superficial. I used my dremel tool to wire brush away the rust down to bare metal and am now painting the 4 spots on the frame and on the tray with the appropriate coloured Tremclad rust paint with 2 coats. Then I was going to put washer/gaskets there as described by others and maybe some butyl sealant as well where the frame contacts the tray. My hope is that it will fill the gaps around the water and keep water away. I have seen other trailer brands with similar rust (or worse), so I'm not putting this on ETI. I do think it's a matter of maintenance, but the washers and butyl may reduce the frequency of maintenance. I want my Escape to last and look great for years to come!

Any feedback on the butyl idea?

Bob K
Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Bob butyl is a great product, it gives off an oil that will repel water, re-seals its self when ever it gets hot and will easily fill in any abnormalities in the metal.
Cheers
Doug
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
After cleaning up the rust and repainting I used some garden hose washers I had...2 are brown rubber looking and two are green plastic. It all came apart recently for a new coupler and all was well.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #31

Thanks, Ross. I won't bother with the butyl tape then. It can get messy.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Hmm, looks like a 9 inch diameter plastic part (kinda like a lid on a jar) would work well to between the LP tanks and the mounting plate to keep metal from contacting metal ...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #33

The rust I mentioned on the tray was on the bottom side where the screws go into the frame. I've been using plastic automotive door trim on the propane tanks bottom edges and it seems to have taken care of the rust from metal to metal contact inside the tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Hmm, looks like a 9 inch diameter plastic part (kinda like a lid on a jar) would work well to between the LP tanks and the mounting plate to keep metal from contacting metal ...........
But a lid of any sort would hold water, we need someone with plastic expertise to form a flat piece of plastic to lay between the tank and platform. Anyone we know
Old 08-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Cutting board from the Dollar Store. Doesn't even need to be round to work.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #36

There you go, simple and cheap. I have used the door trip on my Escapes in the past and may still have some somewhere in my garage.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Propane tanks are under the tank cover so it's not a cosmetic issue. It's going to take years for there to be any reason to worry about rust through. I expect replacing the tray eventually is cheaper than buying rust paint and the effort that goes with it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It's the frame rusting around the holes the sheet metal screws penetrate that is the concern.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #39

Right Ross. The depth of the rust on the frame after just 15 months surprised me. I know it would take many years for it to actually weaken the frame, but I want this trailer to last.

Glen, your suggestion that the tray is replaceable is valid. The only time the tray rust is visible is when you lift the cover. However, as I am retired, I have the time to make things look their best and I am devoted to making our Escape look the same as when we got it. The door edging that I put on the propane tank bottoms looks to have already improved the situation (no signs of rust at all since April). I have also put it on the bottom of our BBQ tanks, where similar scratch-rust issues exist. I am going to try using hose washers between the frame and tray to prevent water creeping into the frame holes.

Bob K
Old 08-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Right Ross. The depth of the rust on the frame after just 15 months surprised me. I know it would take many years for it to actually weaken the frame, but I want this trailer to last.

Glen, your suggestion that the tray is replaceable is valid. The only time the tray rust is visible is when you lift the cover. However, as I am retired, I have the time to make things look their best and I am devoted to making our Escape look the same as when we got it. The door edging that I put on the propane tank bottoms looks to have already improved the situation (no signs of rust at all since April). I have also put it on the bottom of our BBQ tanks, where similar scratch-rust issues exist. I am going to try using hose washers between the frame and tray to prevent water creeping into the frame holes.

Bob K

Somehow, I am attracted to both Glenn and Bob's approach. I recognize the inherent contradiction in this. I base this on having read and appreciated both Glenn and Bob's posts over the last few years..

One approach is hands off the other is hands on.
Closed Thread