Rust and possible water entry points under propane tray. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 34
Rust and possible water entry points under propane tray.

Hi Everyone,
I recently removed the propane tray on my 2016 21 and noticed a fair amount of surface rust on the frame and tray. ETI uses Tek (self tapping screws) and no washer gaskets. The rust is caused by the shavings of the screws as they are turned and vibration. The surface rust is not so much a concern as the fact that the tray clearly collects water which can enter the frame at the screws. These screws have coarse threads and can easily pull through during installation if over-torqued leaving the hole wide open. I simply installed washer gaskets between the bottom of the tray and the frame to mitigate water entry. This is a simple fix to a potential problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1161.JPG (314.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1162.JPG (319.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1163.JPG (312.8 KB, 36 views)
__________________

M.W.Deters is offline  
Old 03-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Devil Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Steveston B.C., British Columbia
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Posts: 505
A bigger problem is that the moisture or water cant get out . A recent post showed cracking of a cross member which may have been caused by ice the same way pipes burst from freezing . Maybe drilling some small holes in the bottom might be a solution .
I would think most box frames would have ventilation some place so not to affect it's strength.
__________________

__________________
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,838
Internal rust in tubes can be problematic, especially when the tube is fairly thin wall. Usually cars with space frames, made from light tubing, have the internal surface coated to prevent rust from weakening the structure. Not feasible, or likely, in the ETI case.

I hadn't noticed the situation with the propane tank base but it makes sense to seal the hole with a gasket. It's on my to-do list. Along with a good wire brushing of all the various external rust spots on the frame.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,471
For some reason I thought Escape drilled couple of drain holes in the the frame, they do in the trailer. I'd ask them and whether you can drill some yourself?
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,449
Propane Tray Rust

Here is a post on this issue on my 19. There are photos on the first and third pages. If you are seeing signs of rust it may bear further investigation.

Propane Tray Rust
__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Verne, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Here is a post on this issue on my 19. There are photos on the first and third pages. If you are seeing signs of rust it may bear further investigation.

Propane Tray Rust
Please note: The rust I described is under the tray and on the frame, not the inside of the tray. Thanks, Mark
M.W.Deters is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
thanks for the heads up..have to add this issue to the growing list of Escape manufacturing "oops" prior to consideration for purchase...the last "oops" being a reminder to send Escape 50 cents worth of metal washers for the rivets when they fabricate the storage case option.

Why drill anything in the square tube frames pieces except maybe to let trapped condensation flow out? Don't do anything if possible to break the primer and paint on the sq tube frame. If something needs to be bolted to the frame then weld L shaped brackets to the frame and screw to the L shaped bracket..frame and paint stays sealed and L shaped bracket is replaceable and rust/corrosion somewhat visible/repairable...
in this instance L shaped mounting points for the propane base might have been welded to the sq tube frame and even raised a bit to prevent abrasion and this would have been a non-issue possibly...wondering where else if any Escape screwed into the sq tube frame?
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
thanks for the heads up..have to add this issue to the growing list of Escape manufacturing "oops" prior to consideration for purchase...the last "oops" being a reminder to send Escape 50 cents worth of metal washers for the rivets when they fabricate the storage case option...
Don't confuse a "one off" issue that a single owner is having with a systematic problem that effects many or all owners. Escape has been very proactive in flagging and rectifying potential problems that impact their trailers as a group. In the case of the "one off" issues that you seem overly concerned about, my experience on similar issues has been that Escape goes out of their way to provide a fix. At the end of the day, the Escape trailers are well built and highly sought after. Just look at the waiting list to get one. If you have any reservations about purchasing one, there are many alternatives for you to choose from, and someone else is sure to jump at the opportunity to take your place in line.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
not having seen the bottom of the optional storage box..is it also mounted with self-threading screws directly into the sq tube frame and a possible point of water entry into the frame rather than to a welded bracket to the sq tube frame?
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Don't confuse a "one off" issue that a single owner is having with a systematic problem that effects many or all owners. Escape has been very proactive in flagging and rectifying potential problems that impact their trailers as a group. In the case of the "one off" issues that you seem overly concerned about, my experience on similar issues has been that Escape goes out of their way to provide a fix. At the end of the day, the Escape trailers are well built and highly sought after. Just look at the waiting list to get one. If you have any reservations about purchasing one, there are many alternatives for you to choose from, and someone else is sure to jump at the opportunity to take your place in line.
sorry if the ant bed got kicked...but if all propane tank bases are mounted this way and this owner has a legit issue, is this a "one off" issue as you say or could it also be a potential "systemic " issue for all trailer owners? hopefully these "one off" issues can be quickly and continuously be rectified in possibly a better manufactured solution prior to future deliveries and thus mitigating the need for a DIY owner fix.
and yes we all have choices..and researching a product can sometimes change the perception of quality and value with both being left to opinion in any product.
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,815
Not an ant bed FS, just experienced molded fiberglass/sticky folks. I've rehabbed around 5 molded fiberglass travel trailers and now selected Escape as our permanent trailer based on experience with rehabbing other brands. Once you've worked on, restored, and camped in some of the other brands and types of trailers you'd understand why Escape folks are very high on their trailers. The resale history and availability speaks volumes on these trailers as well. Are they perfect, no, but modding, tinkering and improving the trailers is for some a major part of the hobby. If you're not convinced yet, pickup one of the used ones that may or may not still be available and use it for a couple of years then you'll know for sure. That's what we did with a used 17b and then we knew and ordered our 19 the way we wanted it.
Greg A is online now  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not an ant bed FS, just experienced molded fiberglass/sticky folks. I've rehabbed around 5 molded fiberglass travel trailers and now selected Escape as our permanent trailer based on experience with rehabbing other brands. Once you've worked on, restored, and camped in some of the other brands and types of trailers you'd understand why Escape folks are very high on their trailers. The resale history and availability speaks volumes on these trailers as well. Are they perfect, no, but modding, tinkering and improving the trailers is for some a major part of the hobby. If you're not convinced yet, pickup one of the used ones that may or may not still be available and use it for a couple of years then you'll know for sure. That's what we did with a used 17b and then we knew and ordered our 19 the way we wanted it.
good points....and yes I can not help to notice that used Escapes seemed to be listed and sold in single digits and quite quickly while the other fiberglass egg looked at is listed and sold currently in the double digits and not near as fast!
also this potential camper not looking at a trailer purchase as another hobby, multiple purchase, or a constant DIY project, just want to relax and enjoy it for a while...
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,496
It's never a problem until one person finds it and let's others know. Being proactive on issues is one of the great things about being a member of a forum, any forum. A washer isn't going to stop rust. So if ETI added a washer it won't help long term. It's like any metal with raw holes, maintenance and paint touch up are a requirement.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,823
I agree that screwing stuff into the top of the frame rails is undesirable. It is a common practice in the RV industry, and unlikely to cause any major problem... but still not the best idea. My old Boler has the propane tank tray welded onto the top of the frame: no holes, but issues for the tray paint coating.

Welded-on brackets would be great. U-bolts around the frame would be less tidy but would work fine. Welded-on mounting studs would probably work, too. Insert nuts (such as Rivuts) would still make holes, but would be better than self-tapping and should still have a sealing washer. Even screws into the side of the frame for an L-bracket would be better than screws into the top of the frame.

I note that Escape has changed from body-mounting bolts run vertically through holes in the frame rails to body-mounting brackets welded to the side of the frame rails. Perhaps a smaller-scale adjustment in propane tank bracket mounting could be next?
Brian B-P is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A washer isn't going to stop rust. So if ETI added a washer it won't help long term.
Perhaps it will, by keeping water out of the screw hole:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
The surface rust is not so much a concern as the fact that the tray clearly collects water which can enter the frame at the screws.
...
I simply installed washer gaskets between the bottom of the tray and the frame to mitigate water entry.
We're not talking about a metal washer, but rather a gasket.

Of course, in the fine tradition of RVs, the real solution is to gob some sort of sealant all over the area of the screw.
Brian B-P is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that screwing stuff into the top of the frame rails is undesirable. It is a common practice in the RV industry, and unlikely to cause any major problem... but still not the best idea. My old Boler has the propane tank tray welded onto the top of the frame: no holes, but issues for the tray paint coating.

Welded-on brackets would be great. U-bolts around the frame would be less tidy but would work fine. Welded-on mounting studs would probably work, too. Insert nuts (such as Rivuts) would still make holes, but would be better than self-tapping and should still have a sealing washer. Even screws into the side of the frame for an L-bracket would be better than screws into the top of the frame.

I note that Escape has changed from body-mounting bolts run vertically through holes in the frame rails to body-mounting brackets welded to the side of the frame rails. Perhaps a smaller-scale adjustment in propane tank bracket mounting could be next?
very good ideas ..and thanks for sharing the knowledge about the Escape body mounting change....
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
David H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
not having seen the bottom of the optional storage box..is it also mounted with self-threading screws directly into the sq tube frame and a possible point of water entry into the frame rather than to a welded bracket to the sq tube frame?
The storage box is bolted to long "L" brackets welded to the (inner) sides of the "A" frame, the bolting face of each bracket is flush with the top face of the "A" frame box members. Appropriate engineering.
__________________
David
2016 VW Touareg TDI
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
The storage box is bolted to long "L" brackets welded to the (inner) sides of the "A" frame, the bolting face of each bracket is flush with the top face of the "A" frame box members. Appropriate engineering.
thank you for the information.
freespirit is offline  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
David H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 17B " Glass Cabin"
Posts: 131
Attached is a picture of the storage box attachment bracket on my 17B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (86.3 KB, 65 views)
__________________
David
2016 VW Touareg TDI
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2008 Ausi Heeler, "Blue"
David H is offline  
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,372
Went out to check my propane tray and found almost identical situation. No need to post more photos there, but while I was at it decided to chip away all the loose paint on the tongue unit that is welded on then spray painted. Whatever that paint is its not very durable. It looks like bare metal towards the front but its not, just the sun shining. Am going to use Hammerite on it all. While looking up from underneath I found that the frame rails come together and are open. No need to drill holes to let any water out. Lastly, while further inspecting have noticed some more light corrosion and feel like I'm going to be like BCNomad soon with a lot of face to the bottom of trailer time coming soon. Driving over ocean water on Hwy 1 north of San Simeon didn't help I'm sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160323_111327[1].jpg (210.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20160323_125711[1].jpg (134.2 KB, 26 views)
__________________

Rossue is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×