Rust and possible water entry points under propane tray. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Rust and possible water entry points under propane tray.

Hi Everyone,
I recently removed the propane tray on my 2016 21 and noticed a fair amount of surface rust on the frame and tray. ETI uses Tek (self tapping screws) and no washer gaskets. The rust is caused by the shavings of the screws as they are turned and vibration. The surface rust is not so much a concern as the fact that the tray clearly collects water which can enter the frame at the screws. These screws have coarse threads and can easily pull through during installation if over-torqued leaving the hole wide open. I simply installed washer gaskets between the bottom of the tray and the frame to mitigate water entry. This is a simple fix to a potential problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1161.JPG (314.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1162.JPG (319.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1163.JPG (312.8 KB, 36 views)

Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
A bigger problem is that the moisture or water cant get out . A recent post showed cracking of a cross member which may have been caused by ice the same way pipes burst from freezing . Maybe drilling some small holes in the bottom might be a solution .
I would think most box frames would have ventilation some place so not to affect it's strength.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Internal rust in tubes can be problematic, especially when the tube is fairly thin wall. Usually cars with space frames, made from light tubing, have the internal surface coated to prevent rust from weakening the structure. Not feasible, or likely, in the ETI case.

I hadn't noticed the situation with the propane tank base but it makes sense to seal the hole with a gasket. It's on my to-do list. Along with a good wire brushing of all the various external rust spots on the frame.

Ron
Old 03-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
For some reason I thought Escape drilled couple of drain holes in the the frame, they do in the trailer. I'd ask them and whether you can drill some yourself?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Propane Tray Rust

Here is a post on this issue on my 19. There are photos on the first and third pages. If you are seeing signs of rust it may bear further investigation.

Propane Tray Rust
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Here is a post on this issue on my 19. There are photos on the first and third pages. If you are seeing signs of rust it may bear further investigation.

Propane Tray Rust
Please note: The rust I described is under the tray and on the frame, not the inside of the tray. Thanks, Mark
Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: perhaps 2017
thanks for the heads up..have to add this issue to the growing list of Escape manufacturing "oops" prior to consideration for purchase...the last "oops" being a reminder to send Escape 50 cents worth of metal washers for the rivets when they fabricate the storage case option.

Why drill anything in the square tube frames pieces except maybe to let trapped condensation flow out? Don't do anything if possible to break the primer and paint on the sq tube frame. If something needs to be bolted to the frame then weld L shaped brackets to the frame and screw to the L shaped bracket..frame and paint stays sealed and L shaped bracket is replaceable and rust/corrosion somewhat visible/repairable...
in this instance L shaped mounting points for the propane base might have been welded to the sq tube frame and even raised a bit to prevent abrasion and this would have been a non-issue possibly...wondering where else if any Escape screwed into the sq tube frame?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
thanks for the heads up..have to add this issue to the growing list of Escape manufacturing "oops" prior to consideration for purchase...the last "oops" being a reminder to send Escape 50 cents worth of metal washers for the rivets when they fabricate the storage case option...
Don't confuse a "one off" issue that a single owner is having with a systematic problem that effects many or all owners. Escape has been very proactive in flagging and rectifying potential problems that impact their trailers as a group. In the case of the "one off" issues that you seem overly concerned about, my experience on similar issues has been that Escape goes out of their way to provide a fix. At the end of the day, the Escape trailers are well built and highly sought after. Just look at the waiting list to get one. If you have any reservations about purchasing one, there are many alternatives for you to choose from, and someone else is sure to jump at the opportunity to take your place in line.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

not having seen the bottom of the optional storage box..is it also mounted with self-threading screws directly into the sq tube frame and a possible point of water entry into the frame rather than to a welded bracket to the sq tube frame?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Don't confuse a "one off" issue that a single owner is having with a systematic problem that effects many or all owners. Escape has been very proactive in flagging and rectifying potential problems that impact their trailers as a group. In the case of the "one off" issues that you seem overly concerned about, my experience on similar issues has been that Escape goes out of their way to provide a fix. At the end of the day, the Escape trailers are well built and highly sought after. Just look at the waiting list to get one. If you have any reservations about purchasing one, there are many alternatives for you to choose from, and someone else is sure to jump at the opportunity to take your place in line.
sorry if the ant bed got kicked...but if all propane tank bases are mounted this way and this owner has a legit issue, is this a "one off" issue as you say or could it also be a potential "systemic " issue for all trailer owners? hopefully these "one off" issues can be quickly and continuously be rectified in possibly a better manufactured solution prior to future deliveries and thus mitigating the need for a DIY owner fix.
and yes we all have choices..and researching a product can sometimes change the perception of quality and value with both being left to opinion in any product.

Closed Thread