Rust on our pretty Escape! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Red Dog... If any paint will just chip off and it may take years for rust to eat thru... why not just add a few drops of 3 in 1 oil the the spot. " Yaba daba do". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #42

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
bummer..only three months!
wonder if others who uses a WDH have this issue.
I had paint chipped off where the spring bars rubbed just from bringing it home from ETI. Yep, rusted out almost immediately. I've got to tackle that once we stop getting all this stinking rain.

The paint is also chipping off from when the chains are draped over the hitch. I'm sure it'll turn to rust pretty soon as well.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #43

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Quote:
So has anyone tried applying automotive-type protective film (example from quick web search below) to areas of the frame that suffer stone chips like the front face of the rear bumper?
DuraShield Titan XT™ Paint Protection Film
We purchased a strip of similar 2" wide film from a bicycle shop to protect the paint on the door jam of our car where we mount clamp-on roof racks for our kayaks. Seems the same stuff would work well for areas of the frame and bumper subject to road stone damage.
Old thread I know... I applied some 3M film to the step and front part of the rear bumper early in March. We then went on a two week camping trip to the gulf coast where we were camped right up next to the ocean for a total of about 7 days. Man is the sea air corrosive!! It even worked its way under the film where I now have several surface rust spots. Probably gonna peal off the film and repaint.

Folks who have to store their rigs right near the ocean have my sympathy
Old 06-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
We then went on a two week camping trip to the gulf coast where we were camped right up next to the ocean for a total of about 7 days. Man is the sea air corrosive!! It even worked its way under the film where I now have several surface rust spots. Probably gonna peal off the film and repaint.

Folks who have to store their rigs right near the ocean have my sympathy
This is why the used boat I recently bought came from Lake Ontario with freshwater use only and furnished with high quality stainless steel hardware throughout. Salt air and water is brutal!

From an internet article: "Saltwater corrodes metal five times faster than fresh water does and the salty, humid ocean air causes metal to corrode 10 times faster than air with normal humidity. Bacteria in ocean water also consumes iron and their excretions turn to rust."
Old 06-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #45

Trailer: 2019 19'
We travel mostly during winter with lots of road salt exposure. We were never able to keep ahead of the rusting of our previous scamp frame even with annual wire brushing and repainting. When we got the escape I decided to try Woolwax undercoating. It was applied with a brush when the trailer was new. We still travel each winter and have done only light recoating of spots exposed to road grit blasting. So far no visible rust.

You can apply this right over rust after just cleaning off grime. The downside is that the material stays tacky so you have to be careful not to get it on yourself.
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote