SAM-1 Install? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
SAM-1 Install?

Hey folks getting ready to install the SAM-1. My questions would be wiring. Anybody done this and what do I need to know? Thanks Y'all
Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ordered mine today from Adohen and got shipping confirmation. One thing I learned from Adohen's site is if Harbor Freight is nearby get a spot weld cutter for $6 to make it much easier to get the old unit out.

Will be staying tuned for more tips here
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ordered mine today from Adohen and got shipping confirmation. One thing I learned from Adohen's site is if Harbor Freight is nearby get a spot weld cutter for $6 to make it much easier to get the old unit out.

Thanks There's Harbor Freight across the river in Augusta. I'm getting long in the tooth and trying to understand the wiring instructions is a bit confusing.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Hey folks getting ready to install the SAM-1. My questions would be wiring. Anybody done this and what do I need to know? Thanks Y'all
I found this wiring diagram (attached) created by Rubicon327 to be very helpful. It's also in the forum files section in the Electrical section. It made a lot more sense to me than the instructions that came with the fan.

I found that using a small drill bit - 7/32 - was adequate to drill out the tiny spot welds and only left a small hole, didn't need to mess with a spot weld cutting bit. I described my installation experience in another thread here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post296801
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sam-FanBox_WiringSchematic.pdf (139.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:

Glad to hear that Adohen still has them, that's great that they are still available. The Ebay seller apparently ran out.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I found this wiring diagram (attached) created by Rubicon327 to be very helpful. It's also in the forum files section in the Electrical section. It made a lot more sense to me than the instructions that came with the fan.
I’m glad this is being used. I made it quickly on the kitchen counter but it seems to be working.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:

I found that using a small drill bit - 7/32 - was adequate to drill out the tiny spot welds and only left a small hole, didn't need to mess with a spot weld cutting bit. I described my installation experience in another thread here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post296801
Thanks David and Rubicon327 Exactly what I was looking for
Old 07-30-2019, 01:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I’m glad this is being used. I made it quickly on the kitchen counter but it seems to be working.
Hi Dave yes your wiring instructions really helped me to make sense for the Sam1 ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Ordered mine today from Adohen and got shipping confirmation.
Quote:
Glad to hear that Adohen still has them, that's great that they are still available. The Ebay seller apparently ran out.
Please let us know if you receive the SAM-1 without issue. When I emailed with Adohen back in May they just said they have them shipped direct. That didn't give me a lot of confidence because it seems like FOP has shut down production.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Will do; had a conversation with Scott at Adohen after first emailing. Mine was drop-shipped, yet seems like there is still some stock from what he told me and the order did ship same day.

Could be like those SS hinges from Western Hardware though and there could ultimately be no more to be had.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Will do; had a conversation with Scott at Adohen after first emailing. Mine was drop-shipped, yet seems like there is still some stock from what he told me and the order did ship same day.

Could be like those SS hinges from Western Hardware though and there could ultimately be no more to be had.
If Adohen does still have some, this may be the last chance to get one. The original Fantastic Operating Products website (referenced in the literature that comes with the fan) is defunct, now comes up as something else in Chinese characters. Since the founder passed away, unless someone else decided to take over coordinating the manufacturing of these I suspect they will just no longer be available once the last existing unit has been sold.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #12

"got er done!"

Well thanks to David Murphy's input and rubicon327's wiring diagram the SAM-1 is up and running. By the time I got all the spot welds drilled out the shroud had more holes than a west Texas stop sign but once installed they mostly disappear.
Thanks again guys!!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Well thanks to David Murphy's input and rubicon327's wiring diagram the SAM-1 is up and running. By the time I got all the spot welds drilled out the shroud had more holes than a west Texas stop sign but once installed they mostly disappear.
Thanks again guys!!
What did you do for the outside vent cover, did you keep the existing cover? And if so did you remove the flap or leave it in place?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
What did you do for the outside vent cover, did you keep the existing cover? And if so did you remove the flap or leave it in place?
Left it in place. I was initially afraid it might restrict airflow but I am pleased at the amount of air coming out. Also I just got the one thing done and modifying that flap is another thing. Now my fan is not as silent as expected but it does move a lot of air even at the low setting. The outflow restriction might be increasing the sound level. The light is a big improvement. I got one of the last $99 ebay ones so I'm happy there. It's been sitting in my garage for about two months. Again you and rubicon327 made it a whole less complicated than what it would have been without your input.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Left it in place. I was initially afraid it might restrict airflow but I am pleased at the amount of air coming out. Also I just got the one thing done and modifying that flap is another thing. Now my fan is not as silent as expected but it does move a lot of air even at the low setting. The outflow restriction might be increasing the sound level. The light is a big improvement. I got one of the last $99 ebay ones so I'm happy there. It's been sitting in my garage for about two months. Again you and rubicon327 made it a whole less complicated than what it would have been without your input.
I don't think the flap restricts airflow much - I just removed mine so that I could use the damper on the new unit to open/close it and not worry about having to unlatch the outside flap....or go latch it if it was open and started rattling in a high wind. Pretty easy to take the outside cover off if you ever want to remove the flap, just a thin bit of caulking to remove and then the sides of the exterior vent cover pull out and it lifts up, the flap then bends enough to pop right out.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't think the flap restricts airflow much - I just removed mine so that I could use the damper on the new unit to open/close it and not worry about having to unlatch the outside flap....or go latch it if it was open and started rattling in a high wind. Pretty easy to take the outside cover off if you ever want to remove the flap, just a thin bit of caulking to remove and then the sides of the exterior vent cover pull out and it lifts up, the flap then bends enough to pop right out.
I'll put that on the list to check out. Right now my wife wants me to install a piece of very heavy hickory as a new fireplace mantel and that has priority as my next dilemma.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey David How did you get the outside cover off? I read your instructions and have been carefully cutting a seam through the caulk but so far with no results. Am I pointed in the right direction?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Hey David How did you get the outside cover off? I read your instructions and have been carefully cutting a seam through the caulk but so far with no results. Am I pointed in the right direction?
I worked at the seam very carefully with a utility knife - it took a while but if you keep at it you'll be able to get the outside cover loose. Press out from the inside at the bottom on each side to pop the cover off at the sides, then it will swing up and lift off the tabs at the top. There is a tab on the bottom of each side of the cover that fits into a slot on the flange mounted to the trailer, you can see that in the attached image. If you press pretty firmly out on the bottom sides and it doesn't move out, you're not quite through the caulk seam. It's a good snug fit so it will never really be loose, but for sure all you have to do is get through that caulk seam and you can press the sides out to lift it off. There are tabs on the top also so you do need to get through that caulk seam all the way around both sides and the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood.jpg  
Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
I worked at the seam very carefully with a utility knife - it took a while but if you keep at it you'll be able to get the outside cover loose. Press out from the inside at the bottom on each side to pop the cover off at the sides, then it will swing up and lift off the tabs at the top. There is a tab on the bottom of each side of the cover that fits into a slot on the flange mounted to the trailer, you can see that in the attached image. If you press pretty firmly out on the bottom sides and it doesn't move out, you're not quite through the caulk seam. It's a good snug fit so it will never really be loose, but for sure all you have to do is get through that caulk seam and you can press the sides out to lift it off. There are tabs on the top also so you do need to get through that caulk seam all the way around both sides and the top.
What I missed and the picture points out are the slots for the side tabs. Popped right off once I pried the sides carefully. Thanks again jn
Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
What I missed and the picture points out are the slots for the side tabs. Popped right off once I pried the sides carefully. Thanks again jn
Sounds like you're all set! Can't count the times in our old trailer that I'd be sitting comfortably with a beer at the end of a long day when Mary would start cooking dinner and asked "is the outside vent flap unlocked?"....or the inverse, when we'd be laying in bed and a big wind would start blowing and banging the loose flap. Can't wait to do all the opening and closing from inside now!