Samlex Control; Alarm: CPF09 Heat Sink SR Open - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Samlex Control; Alarm: CPF09 Heat Sink SR Open

Good morning!

Have been checking the Samlex control for the batteries regularily and this morning saw the "Alarm" code shown above. It is -22F this morning in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The manual says re the code, "operating temperature is below 0C (32F). Ensure operating temperature is above 0C (32F). I have been keeping the solar panel clear of snow and two days ago when I checked the control panel said 13 volts. Soooooo, should I be concerned? I mean this is just the beginning of winter temps here. It will go to -40 or lower sometime this winter. Does this error code mean the controller will cease to work and I will not know what the battery voltage will be until spring? Not sure what to do or think!

Hey Albertan Escapee's: What's your experience? You get the below Zero temps and leave the batteries installed... right?

Fred Alexander
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Samlex SCC-30AB controller specifications include this:
Quote:
OPERATING TEMPERATURE RANGE 0°C to +45°C / 32°F to 113 °F
The full manual has lots of good information about solar power systems - not just this controller - but I didn't see anything more about low-temperature operation other than this limit.

I wouldn't have guessed anyone would build this sort of equipment with such a high minimum operating temperature, but I suppose they're assuming that the controller is inside a building or RV which is in use and thus heated if necessary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Made me curious, checked Bogart's SC-2030 controller.

Ambient temperature................................0 ºF to +140 ºF (−18 ºC to +60 ºC)

It'd be dead too at your -22F, time to move south.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Add a little heat

Well thought I'd try a little experiment. Put a ceramic heater up in the cupboard and turned it on low for about 30 seconds. Bingo, the error code went away and showed battery power at 12.5 amps. Was 13amps two days ago, that's quite a drop. Maybe I should hook up shore power?

Fred Alexander
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Well thought I'd try a little experiment. Put a ceramic heater up in the cupboard and turned it on low for about 30 seconds. Bingo, the error code went away and showed battery power at 12.5 amps. Was 13amps two days ago, that's quite a drop. Maybe I should hook up shore power?

Fred Alexander
I would charge from 12.4, however, no problem with doing that at 12.5 with your weather. I thought our -5 last night was bad. Can't stand this weather. You need a 12v battery monitor for checking the reading. Auto supply stores sell them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote