Satellite radio installation? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post

And, anyone that has the extra insulation in their Escape won't be able to get reception inside the trailer. The insulation is coated with aluminum foil which blocks all radio signals.

Doug
I have the extra insulation in my 21 which doesn't block my Bluetooth stereo mounted under the drivers side cabinet from transmitting to my Bluetooth Sony speaker box about 20 ft away from the passenger side. Works great and I have volume control on the speakers right at the picnic table. The Sirius XM antenna mounted inside the drivers side overhead cabinet also works fine.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:

And, anyone that has the extra insulation in their Escape won't be able to get reception inside the trailer. The insulation is coated with aluminum foil which blocks all radio signals.

Doug
Kinda wondered about that. When we had our Casita we set the antenna anywhere inside and it worked fine.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have an app called Compass on my iPhone that helps with aiming the antenna.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The side windows are big gaps in the foil insulation, so I'm not surprised that horizontal Bluetooth links work. On the other hand, satellites are overhead, and there are no similar large gaps in the insulation on the ceiling so I'm not surprised that the insulation interferes with XM radio reception.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The side windows are big gaps in the foil insulation, so I'm not surprised that horizontal Bluetooth links work. On the other hand, satellites are overhead, and there are no similar large gaps in the insulation on the ceiling so I'm not surprised that the insulation interferes with XM radio reception.
So far my XM reception works well with the antenna mounted in an overhead cabinet, despite the added insulation.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
We have a Sirius "boombox" that we use at home. When we go Escape-ing, we put the boombox in the top left front cabinet and the antenna goes out onto the front window cover once it's in the raised position. Works beautifully. We have the boombox wired so it can be used straight from the batteries or from shore power when plugged in.

Doug
Aluminum is only a minor shield against emf. While the foil impregnated insulation may reduce the signal strength, I doubt it would prevent reception. EMF mesh is usually made out of polyester and is coated with nickel and copper. We have used it in many data centers to prevent inbound/outbound cellular reception and data leaks. Covering all the walls/floors/ceilings creates what's known as a Faraday Cage. An insulated trailer is hardly that.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Aluminum is only a minor shield against emf. While the foil impregnated insulation may reduce the signal strength, I doubt it would prevent reception. EMF mesh is usually made out of polyester and is coated with nickel and copper. We have used it in many data centers to prevent inbound/outbound cellular reception and data leaks. Covering all the walls/floors/ceilings creates what's known as a Faraday Cage. An insulated trailer is hardly that.
Particularly without the cage being tied to ground.......

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Hmmmm. I guess I need to upgrade the materials in my tin foil hat... :-)
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Covering all the walls/floors/ceilings creates what's known as a Faraday Cage. An insulated trailer is hardly that.
I agree, but issues with radio reception are fairly commonly reported in bubble-and-foil insulated trailers, so (believing the reports, since none of my RVs have this insulation) it seems to have some effect. Maybe it doesn't really - few of us do any kind of rigourous testing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Maybe it doesn't really - few of us do any kind of rigourous testing.
Exactly. Compared to what? Reception may be affected, but personally I'd welcome it. Anything to keep the constant stream of emails and phone calls at bay.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Exactly. Compared to what? Reception may be affected, but personally I'd welcome it. Anything to keep the constant stream of emails and phone calls at bay.
Very simple fix, Take the batteries out of the devices Tada no more emails or phone calls :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Very simple fix, Take the batteries out of the devices Tada no more emails or phone calls :}

Cypher
Or, come canoeing with me, where you could not get these, even if you wanted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post

Cypher
I was going for 'plausible deniability'. Aw gee, I'm sorry I didn't get your call. The place I was at had really bad reception......
Old 09-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or, come canoeing with me, where you could not get these, even if you wanted.
Lol ,

He might be able to I on the other hand would need a motor canoe right shoulder is trashed not going to have it fixed quite yet as it might put me out of a job so it is better living through chemistry. But.. I can get the same effect of no signal just by going the family home in Maine as soon as I get with in about 2 miles of the house signal is only if the planets are aligned lol :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote