Satellite radio installation? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Satellite radio installation?

We use XM in the trailer. I'm on the hunt for an alternative to running antenna wires from the dinette, out the window and up the side to get decent reception. Anybody come up with a better antenna arrangement?

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm too lazy to do that much. I just have the antenna on the wardrobe, with the radio. Usually reception is good enough.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Bag,

We don't get good reception inside for some reason. We're using a Roady2 with the magnetic antenna. I was thinking it was the foil insulation but I suspect you're insulated too, eh? I run the wire from the dinette across the front and out the window. Best place is taped to the awning bracket. What a pain!

How is yours set up? Using the same antenna?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a Stilletto portable plugged into an Executive Dock. The antenna has a long wire and can be adjusted from flat to vertical (not that I've noticed the difference. In the car, I have another dock and it plugs into the radio through Aux. The antenna for that is a simple button shape.
And, I don't have insulation. I think that is the critical information.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Satellite radio

Greg, in my 19 and in the 21 I mounted the antennae on top by drilling a hole down into one of the overhead bins. The hole was just large enough for the cord plug to fit through and then used JB weld to attach the antennae and plug the hole. In that bin I have the Bose speaker stored and a 12 volt wire brought up from a light to power the radio. We can open the compartment door and remotely control the radio and speaker from outside through the window. Works good for us as we can still take the speaker outside and use a I-Pod with the speaker as it is battery powered.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
satellite radio

The radio is a portable that we also use in the house at home, I just had to buy another antennae to use at home.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
The radio is a portable that we also use in the house at home, I just had to buy another antennae to use at home.
Jack
Thanks Jack. I was hoping to avoid drilling a hole but it looks inevitable. JB Weld is good stuff, I've even used it on the plane. Wish this topic came up last week, I'd have liked to see your set up.

Steve and Margarita had a radio and speaker mounted under a cabinet also pulling 12v from a light. Very slick!

Greg
Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Thanks Jack. I was hoping to avoid drilling a hole but it looks inevitable. JB Weld is good stuff, I've even used it on the plane. Wish this topic came up last week, I'd have liked to see your set up.

Steve and Margarita had a radio and speaker mounted under a cabinet also pulling 12v from a light. Very slick!

Greg
Greg, I also had a ZUMO 550 XM radio located there before I started using my phone exclusively. It had good reception through the trailer skin near the ceiling and the door exit. I do not think you need to make a penetration for the antenna if you scout around for that "sweet spot".
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added a second XM Radio dock on the rear side of the refrigerator wall (I sleep with my head in that direction) of my 17B. I put the first antenna under the vinyl & Reflectix insulation in the center of the upper rear cabinet. It worked fine through the fiberglass as long as I was parked with the rear of the trailer facing south (which I tried to do anyway because of the solar panel).

I got tired of looking for south exposure campsites, and, since I don't watch TV, replaced the TV antenna with a Tram Marine XM radio antenna. Works well from any direction, although today I'm in a campground with heavy leaf cover in the hills of PA, & only get 2 bars on the receiver; not enough for a good connection.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I added a second XM Radio dock on the rear side of the refrigerator wall (I sleep with my head in that direction) of my 17B. I put the first antenna under the vinyl & Reflectix insulation in the center of the upper rear cabinet. It worked fine through the fiberglass as long as I was parked with the rear of the trailer facing south (which I tried to do anyway because of the solar panel).

I got tired of looking for south exposure campsites, and, since I don't watch TV, replaced the TV antenna with a Tram Marine XM radio antenna. Works well from any direction, although today I'm in a campground with heavy leaf cover in the hills of PA, & only get 2 bars on the receiver; not enough for a good connection.
2 bars is more than I get inside. I'd been looking at the Tram antenna. How many holes?

Greg
Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
2 bars is more than I get inside. I'd been looking at the Tram antenna. How many holes?

Greg
No new ones - I pulled out the wiring for the TV antenna, used a 1" plastic conduit connector as an adapter to connect the Tram to the post for the TV antenna.

If you want to keep both, the included mount for the Tram has 4 3/8" holes; you will also need one for the cable. The antenna is designed so it can either use the supplied base and make a separate hole for the cable or mount to a marine thread mast (very weird size - 1" X 14 TPI) with the antenna cable inside the mast.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
DISH now has Sirius so if you are using DISH, you might get away with not having a separate radio.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
DISH now has Sirius so if you are using DISH, you might get away with not having a separate radio.
We use DirecTV and they have a similar sat radio provider but we cant use it without 110v. Thinking about a 12v tv like yours. Use much juice does it use?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
We use DirecTV and they have a similar sat radio provider but we cant use it without 110v. Thinking about a 12v tv like yours. Use much juice does it use?
No longer using a 12v TV. The viewing angle on the one we had was poor, and it was too small for the 19' trailer.

Using the inverter to power the 110 v one, 22" flat panel, and the DISH receiver. Used them for hours with minimal effect on the batteries, none that the solar panels couldn't recover the next day.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

Glad this came up before I bought one. I noticed most of the 12v tv's are off the wall brands.

I've been using my harbor freight el cheapo inverter for sat radio and it really sucks the juice out of the batteries. Guess I ought to dig deeper and buy a good one.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Love this TV, huge view angles and a built in CD player @3.5amps max on 12V:

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Glad this came up before I bought one. I noticed most of the 12v tv's are off the wall brands.

I've been using my harbor freight el cheapo inverter for sat radio and it really sucks the juice out of the batteries. Guess I ought to dig deeper and buy a good one.
This 19' came with a 1000 watt inverter built in and there is an outlet near the TV arm below the fridge that goes to it. The way the shelf was built-in for the SAT TV receiver, it can plug directly into the outlet on the inverter.

We rewired from the inverter to the batteries and added an inline fuze so the full 1000 watts can be delivered if needed.

I am not sure what the DISH Receiver draws, but the TV is pretty low I think.

In any case, it seems to work, and of course when we have hook ups, it is not an issue.

(BTW, I am camped in CanyonDam CA near Lake Almanor, came up for a little trout fishing. Had a nice fresh trout breakfast today!)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Love this TV, huge view angles and a built in CD player @3.5amps max on 12V:

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker
thanks Charlie. I'll check it out. I have a 110v Samsung 22" in the rig now with a 12v right next to the tv. Might work ok,

Greg
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I ran my XM antenna wire from the compartment on the front passenger side up to the counter in the 5.0. I attached a metal mount to the top of the awning bracket. The magnetic antenna goes there when we are stopped.

Dick
Old 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We have a Sirius "boombox" that we use at home. When we go Escape-ing, we put the boombox in the top left front cabinet and the antenna goes out onto the front window cover once it's in the raised position. Works beautifully. We have the boombox wired so it can be used straight from the batteries or from shore power when plugged in.

And, anyone that has the extra insulation in their Escape won't be able to get reception inside the trailer. The insulation is coated with aluminum foil which blocks all radio signals.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote