Satellite radio installation? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Satellite radio installation?

We use XM in the trailer. I'm on the hunt for an alternative to running antenna wires from the dinette, out the window and up the side to get decent reception. Anybody come up with a better antenna arrangement?

Greg
__________________

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,720
I'm too lazy to do that much. I just have the antenna on the wardrobe, with the radio. Usually reception is good enough.
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Bag,

We don't get good reception inside for some reason. We're using a Roady2 with the magnetic antenna. I was thinking it was the foil insulation but I suspect you're insulated too, eh? I run the wire from the dinette across the front and out the window. Best place is taped to the awning bracket. What a pain!

How is yours set up? Using the same antenna?
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,720
I have a Stilletto portable plugged into an Executive Dock. The antenna has a long wire and can be adjusted from flat to vertical (not that I've noticed the difference. In the car, I have another dock and it plugs into the radio through Aux. The antenna for that is a simple button shape.
And, I don't have insulation. I think that is the critical information.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
azjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ, Arizona
Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Posts: 472
Satellite radio

Greg, in my 19 and in the 21 I mounted the antennae on top by drilling a hole down into one of the overhead bins. The hole was just large enough for the cord plug to fit through and then used JB weld to attach the antennae and plug the hole. In that bin I have the Bose speaker stored and a 12 volt wire brought up from a light to power the radio. We can open the compartment door and remotely control the radio and speaker from outside through the window. Works good for us as we can still take the speaker outside and use a I-Pod with the speaker as it is battery powered.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
azjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ, Arizona
Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Posts: 472
satellite radio

The radio is a portable that we also use in the house at home, I just had to buy another antennae to use at home.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
The radio is a portable that we also use in the house at home, I just had to buy another antennae to use at home.
Jack
Thanks Jack. I was hoping to avoid drilling a hole but it looks inevitable. JB Weld is good stuff, I've even used it on the plane. Wish this topic came up last week, I'd have liked to see your set up.

Steve and Margarita had a radio and speaker mounted under a cabinet also pulling 12v from a light. Very slick!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Thanks Jack. I was hoping to avoid drilling a hole but it looks inevitable. JB Weld is good stuff, I've even used it on the plane. Wish this topic came up last week, I'd have liked to see your set up.

Steve and Margarita had a radio and speaker mounted under a cabinet also pulling 12v from a light. Very slick!

Greg
Greg, I also had a ZUMO 550 XM radio located there before I started using my phone exclusively. It had good reception through the trailer skin near the ceiling and the door exit. I do not think you need to make a penetration for the antenna if you scout around for that "sweet spot".
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,276
I added a second XM Radio dock on the rear side of the refrigerator wall (I sleep with my head in that direction) of my 17B. I put the first antenna under the vinyl & Reflectix insulation in the center of the upper rear cabinet. It worked fine through the fiberglass as long as I was parked with the rear of the trailer facing south (which I tried to do anyway because of the solar panel).

I got tired of looking for south exposure campsites, and, since I don't watch TV, replaced the TV antenna with a Tram Marine XM radio antenna. Works well from any direction, although today I'm in a campground with heavy leaf cover in the hills of PA, & only get 2 bars on the receiver; not enough for a good connection.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I added a second XM Radio dock on the rear side of the refrigerator wall (I sleep with my head in that direction) of my 17B. I put the first antenna under the vinyl & Reflectix insulation in the center of the upper rear cabinet. It worked fine through the fiberglass as long as I was parked with the rear of the trailer facing south (which I tried to do anyway because of the solar panel).

I got tired of looking for south exposure campsites, and, since I don't watch TV, replaced the TV antenna with a Tram Marine XM radio antenna. Works well from any direction, although today I'm in a campground with heavy leaf cover in the hills of PA, & only get 2 bars on the receiver; not enough for a good connection.
2 bars is more than I get inside. I'd been looking at the Tram antenna. How many holes?

Greg
__________________

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.