Satellite tv hookup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Satellite tv hookup

My 19' came tv ready. I'm trying to determine if the installed tv jack (cable and antenna) can be used to hook up a satellite dish and receiver without having to drill a hole and run a separate satellite tv line from the outside. I thought the cable input would bypass the amplifier and wired it from the jack to my sat receiver and then to the tv. No luck. Any ideas?

PS- the Winegard onmi-directional antenna that came from the factory works great! I pull in far more channels than I ever thought I would.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is another thread where the factory hook up is being discussed here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tion-2367.html
The stock factory antenna hook up leads directly to the Winegard cover in your unit. There are 2 coaxials located there, the bottom one is "hot" in that both the outside cable and inside antenna lead to it. The top coaxial is not in use. If you wanted to connect your satellite it is available.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Has anyone tried and had any luck with the Wineguard flat HDTV antenna's? They're pretty inexpensive (but that might be for a reason) ...
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

I tried to use one in my Eggcamper and found that the reflectix inside was not conducive to receiving signals, I ended up with the Hide-a-way unit which works great on a 8' pvc pipe.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have just received word from Kim that we need to finalize our Build Sheet. One thing we are opting to have installed is a Winegard Satellite Antenna; however, I stopped by Camping World today and, just looking at the box, that antenna looks pretty darn big. Do you know of any photos of the Escape 19 (or similar) that show the satellite antenna installed along with the air conditioner and solar panels?
Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #6

I have the HDTV antenna. Mixed to good results. Use it on my Mac. laptop.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Do you have the Jack antenna or another brand?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just FYI:

No Such Thing As an HDTV Antenna!
by Eric Gov

Over-the-air (OTA) HDTV becomes more and more popular. For someone who is used to noisy analog TV pictures, it is hard to believe how amazing a quality of HDTV broadcasts can be. In fact, HDTV channels received over the air free of charge often have better quality than the same channels received through a paid satellite HDTV subscription. All you need to enjoy OTA HDTV is a HD television with a built-in HDTV tuner and an HDTV antenna.

Huh? Which kind of antenna?! If you have Ph.D in Electrical Engineering and have never heard about the antenna type called "HDTV antenna", it's not because you were a bad student. HDTV antenna has nothing to do with physics and engineering. It was invented in marketing departments. Marketing found an effective trick to boost TV antenna sales. HDTV is a hot thing these days. Call essentially the same device HDTV antenna, and it sells better. It makes people to believe they must buy an HDTV model or HDTV optimized antenna to watch HDTV broadcasts. This is very far from truth.

You can read the rest of the article here:
HDTV Antenna "NO such thing"
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #9

Very happy with the Winegard antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We have just received word from Kim that we need to finalize our Build Sheet. One thing we are opting to have installed is a Winegard Satellite Antenna; however, I stopped by Camping World today and, just looking at the box, that antenna looks pretty darn big.
Jan
We used satellite and had the Winegard TV antenna installed as a backup. It really pulls in the stations and we like it so much we're jettisoning the satellite. It doesn't strike me as being too big.

Greg
Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #10

Okay, I'm confused ... sorry (we have cable so these antennas are 'foreign' to me). I know Winegard makes various antennas, but I was under the impression that one needed the Winegard satellite (Road Trip Minimax or Mission) to pull in all the stations outside of local, especially if used with a DISH receiver. If you're not using satellite, which Winegard TV antenna or type are you using (I'm looking at the Winegard site http://www.winegard.com/roof-mounted...as/index.php)? Thanks.
Jan
Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I think the main thing from what I've learned is that it needs to be 'amplified" - we have a jack antenna, that is not attached to the roof but I gear it up, on a pipe on the front hitch. We've only used it in Florida (you could buy cable in the RV park) , but it was very clear and we got I believe, 42 channels and decided we wouldn't get cable, it had most of what we would use.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Winegard makes the stock round saucer type tv antenna and Jack is a newer different style antenna. Both of these are for over the air tv signals, like the old time rabbit ears except yhry also allow digital signals. The satellite setup is similar to that dome you see on Oliver trailers, like a basketball sized dome on the roof to seek the satellite. I have no experience with satellite tv.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The stock antenna supplied by Escape seems to work quite well, at least in my driveway at home. For some reason we seemed to always find more interesting things to do than watch TV when we were on vacation with the Escape. Although I did watch 20min of PGA golf one day while eating lunch.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Escape installed the winegard tv antenna that looks like a flying saucer. I also have a directv receiver that uses different plumbin that I Iinstalled aftermarket.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #15

Thanks to all for your responses. I think we're getting a handle on what we need/want. Of course, what we "need" and "want" are typically two different things ...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #16

If you go with tv ready and are handy,, consider dumping the swing arm and installing the tv in the back corner. They can also run a cable up front and install a connection which gives you flexibility for a tv up front. We did and it works well for us. I have pictures if your interested.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Winegard antenna was not on my build list, and Escape accidentally put on on. Reace called and told me this, and said I could leave it on at no cost, or they would remove it and repair the holes. I went for the removal. Another thing for "maybe someday", but for now I just did not want that weird looking thing on my trailer. But, it sure is nice to have options for all our differing needs. I don't seem to have enough time to read, let alone watch TV when camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #18

Would be interested if you have them. Can you post them on the forum as others might be interested as well. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
If you go with tv ready and are handy,, consider dumping the swing arm and installing the tv in the back corner. They can also run a cable up front and install a connection which gives you flexibility for a tv up front. We did and it works well for us. I have pictures if your interested.
I'd be interested in seeing your installation pictures and DirectTv set up.
Thanks!
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There is no difference between an antenna for the new digital TV signals and one for the old analog TV signals. There is a difference between antennas for the VHF band and for the UHF band, and since many stations moved from VHF channels to UHF at the time of the digital transition, many people confused the two (digital and UHF)... and antenna marketers have taken advantage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, satellite, television, winegard